SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Hissing sound when braking

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting this hissing sound now whenever I'm braking. I just got it back from the dealer yesterday for a regular 5K service and the service manager told me that I have about 30% left on my front brakes (pads). I'd figure I would do this over memorial weekend, but now it's driving my nuts. It wasn't like that before I turned it in. Could these be the pads? Keep in mind that my car has 105K miles.
Also, in the morning when it is cold, from time to time, I get this clunking sound from the front. I need all your expert advice in dealing with these two matters cuz I want this car to last.
Sheesh, ever since the accident, my car has been at the dealer more often than the whole of last year. The car is not the same anymore.

#2 ·
What size wheels are on your C70?? If you have 17 inchers like I do. I have the same noises. The dealer told me repeatedly that its the tire rubbing on a part of the suspension. He said not to worry?? Mine doesnt do it all the time. Just once and awhile, but more so when its cold like yours does. What about yours??
The brakes are a different story though. Get them fixed!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:
Hey guys,

I'm getting this hissing sound now whenever I'm braking. I just got it back from the dealer yesterday for a regular 5K service and the service manager told me that I have about 30% left on my front brakes (pads). I'd figure I would do this over memorial weekend, but now it's driving my nuts. It wasn't like that before I turned it in. Could these be the pads? Keep in mind that my car has 105K miles.
Also, in the morning when it is cold, from time to time, I get this clunking sound from the front. I need all your expert advice in dealing with these two matters cuz I want this car to last.
Sheesh, ever since the accident, my car has been at the dealer more often than the whole of last year. The car is not the same anymore.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Beemer_eater:
What size wheels are on your C70?? If you have 17 inchers like I do. I have the same noises. The dealer told me repeatedly that its the tire rubbing on a part of the suspension. He said not to worry?? Mine doesnt do it all the time. Just once and awhile, but more so when its cold like yours does. What about yours??
The brakes are a different story though. Get them fixed!!!!!
I have the standard 17" Canistos. Tire rubbing against the suspension? Isn't that bad design? Anyways, I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow and have them take a look at it and fix my brakes. Sheesh, I was planning on doing it on the weekend as well.

#4 ·
The hissing could be from a number of things, and isn't necessarily a problem. My motorbike makes it every time I pull the lever.

Could be due to glazed pads. Have the brakes got wet (like bucket of water wet) when they hot recently???

You could take the pads out and gently rub down the pads and disk.

As for the clunking sound. Ummmmmmmmm

#5 ·
Well That hissing sound could be due to a few things..One what kind of rotars do you have on the car is it cross drilled if so that hissing sound is normal.. Second since you might or do need new pads I would change the pads with a different type use volvo or PBA dustless pads.now what kind of rotars due yu have on it could also be aftermarket rotars that is not volvo recommended. chech that out first ...

#6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by C70SPEED:
Well That hissing sound could be due to a few things..One what kind of rotars do you have on the car is it cross drilled if so that hissing sound is normal.. Second since you might or do need new pads I would change the pads with a different type use volvo or PBA dustless pads.now what kind of rotars due yu have on it could also be aftermarket rotars that is not volvo recommended. chech that out first ...
Hey guys,
Thanks for all your help. My car is pretty much bone stock. Stock discs with stock volvo pads. I used to use aftermarket pads but the bite wasn't there so I switched back to oem. Anyways, I noticed today that the hissing wasn't as bad as yesterday. I'm gonna change the pads this weekend and see if it's still there come next week. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.