SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

springs

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  forsthoffer 
#1 ·
Well my springs finally arrived from IPD. My buddy and I are going to knock this project down tomorrow. Question that I have is on the spring compressor. Do I also also need a strut compressor to install the springs? Or will a spring compressor be suffice for this job?
Thanks guys

#2 ·
Done with the front springs. Man squeeezing the springs was he hardest part of the job! Everything else was smooth. Looks good on the front. I tried doing the back but got stump. No room for the spring compresor. does anyone out there know what I can take off in order to make the spring drop so I can fit te compressor? Or is there another method?
Thanks!

#10 ·
Re: (sniz)

Sorry guys, I have been so busy lately with a new baby and work. I was going to post some last night but my stupid cable modem has been acting very flakey where it just locks up my cpu.

Do any of you have an e-mail address that I can send them to? If so I will send them tommorrow from my job.
Sorry for the delay!

#15 ·
#18 ·
Re: (sniz)

You guys are gonna go crazy when you hear what I did to deal with the problem of my 2001 C70 HPT Conv being higher in the back than in the front. I wanted to get lowering springs, but I have been afraid of the problem that Sniz had where the overall ride height is lowered, but with the same "tail high" proportions. I also was concerned about lowering the front any further than factory because I already scrape frequently on driveways, etc. What did I do? You aren't gonna like this. You guessed it... I went to the sporting goods store, purchased two 45 pound olympic weights and placed them in the spare tire well in the trunk!!! The spare tire still fits on top of them perfectly and the carpet goes right back into place. The car now has a perfect ride height. My "custom" lowering job cost less than $50. The car still drives fine and I don't really notice the extra 90 pounds back there. In fact, it probably rides a little smoother with the extra weight. I don't race the car or anything, so if there is any loss of acceleration - it doesn't really matter. The HPT engine has quite a bit of power, so the car is still fast. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

#19 ·
Re: (cmilbrandt)

I actually have thought of putting more weight in the trunk to lower it but I do race and I already took everything out of my spare tire well.. anything I can do to make the car lighter. I won't go as far as taking out the panels, seats, ac, etc. but I try to do as many small things that I can to reduce the weight.

so what you're telling me basically is that is has nothing to do with the way the springs were installed? it's just how the Vogtland springs are? that sucks.. cause my front is perfect. it's so low that I'll scrape a Coke can with the front bumper. I wish the back was that low too, just enough to where the tire barely tucks.. what about having a professional cut the springs? or is that too risky? I was also wondering if anyone has seen or tryed running 17's on the front and 18's on the back? I was thinking about it at one point, but not with the rear sitting up this high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.