SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Sounddeadening the C70

925 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just took of the door trim panels to check out the scene on what it takes to dampen the car a little. Looks pretty messy in there. Has anyone dampened their C70s yet? Kai?

Also, in the trunk, by the seats, when you lift up the plastic panels, you see a bunch of wires and stuff. What are those for? TIA

Regards,
Mike H.

#2 ·
The guys at OC Volvo say that doing ANY work on the door of a C70 is an all day affair. I have seen the inside of it another C70 and its a disaster. I would like to quiet the wind noise from the driver window to the quarter window. It makes some noise at speed. Mine is pretty quiet all in all.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:
Hey guys,

I just took of the door trim panels to check out the scene on what it takes to dampen the car a little. Looks pretty messy in there. Has anyone dampened their C70s yet? Kai?

Also, in the trunk, by the seats, when you lift up the plastic panels, you see a bunch of wires and stuff. What are those for? TIA

Regards,
Mike H.
i have never taken any of the trim/panels apart before.. its a lot of work, and you need either a professional or someone with more experience. Got any pictures???

but i think the wires you are seeing behind the seats is probably power lines for your rear lights, rear speaker cables, amp cables, and even the gas cap switch. those are the electronics i think are in the back.

btw.. what is the dampening for? sound system? quieter ride?

#4 ·
Nah..I haven't even thinking about messing with any of those stuff just yet.

Yeah...I did hear from 1FASTBOX(Sean) mention about how PIA that C70's door panels and the window adjustment can be....I wouldn't want to do anything too funky and involved.

I'll ask my installer this Friday to see how involved it is to do that on the C70.

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Beemer_eater:
The guys at OC Volvo say that doing ANY work on the door of a C70 is an all day affair. I have seen the inside of it another C70 and its a disaster. I would like to quiet the wind noise from the driver window to the quarter window. It makes some noise at speed. Mine is pretty quiet all in all.

I bet it would be an all day affair. Looking at it this afternoon gave me the chills. It's not like any other door I took apart before. The reason for me taking it apart was to readjust my lock knob and re-align the window molding.
I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow afternoon, you need two people to take it off, one to hold the panel and the other one to disconnect all the cables.
The sound dampening is for what it stand for, dampen sound. For me, it's the road noise and some wind noise. Altough it'll add some weight to the car, my plan was never to race it anyways. I just finished doing the trunk lid. I had to rewire the wire to the license plate light and trunk release. In the process, I broke the license plate light. The wires are a little short so I'm going to be doing some electrician work tomorrow. My trunk is rock solid! No clunks, just a big thud. I might do some overkill tomorrow on it. I'll take pics as soon as my parents come back from Vegas with the digicam (and money
)

#6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:

I bet it would be an all day affair. Looking at it this afternoon gave me the chills. It's not like any other door I took apart before. The reason for me taking it apart was to readjust my lock knob and re-align the window molding.
I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow afternoon, you need two people to take it off, one to hold the panel and the other one to disconnect all the cables.
The sound dampening is for what it stand for, dampen sound. For me, it's the road noise and some wind noise. Altough it'll add some weight to the car, my plan was never to race it anyways. I just finished doing the trunk lid. I had to rewire the wire to the license plate light and trunk release. In the process, I broke the license plate light. The wires are a little short so I'm going to be doing some electrician work tomorrow. My trunk is rock solid! No clunks, just a big thud. I might do some overkill tomorrow on it. I'll take pics as soon as my parents come back from Vegas with the digicam (and money
)
oh i see.. cuz i seen some people add sounddeadenning so their loud systems dont leak sound out of the car... but maybe its the other way around hehhehe no sound getting in. how much weight does it add? isnt it kinda like insulation, pretty light? the volvo is already pretty solid with a big THUD when you close it. hehe i wonder what yours sounds like now :p

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:
oh i see.. cuz i seen some people add sounddeadenning so their loud systems dont leak sound out of the car... but maybe its the other way around hehhehe no sound getting in. how much weight does it add? isnt it kinda like insulation, pretty light? the volvo is already pretty solid with a big THUD when you close it. hehe i wonder what yours sounds like now :p

Actually, the stuff I'm using is decently heavy (RAAMMAT - same thing as Dynamat but without the fancy name). Then again, I'm going all out with this, no second gussing for me on this one. I'm hoping once everything is done, hopefully it'll only 50lbs or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.