SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

how do I check if my tie rods and cv joints are good?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Kai 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

In my earlier post i mentioned that I'm getting this clunking sound whenever I turn the steering wheel. I went to the dealer and they can't repeat the problem. However, I feel that my tie rods or my CV joints might be going bad. How do I check for these? Thanks.

#3 ·
Hey Mike

I recently had my CV Boots replaced on my 850 because they were leaking some sort of grease. As Kai said, a visual inspection is probably the most economical way to go. You can just feel behind the wheel, where the boots are, and see if you can feel an unordinary amount of grease (lots of it) and take a peek at them when your wheel is at a lock position (all the way to the right and/or left) check to see if there are any cracks in the boots. If there are, get that checked on ASAP because your bearings are behind them, and those are very costly...

BTW, Did I just get another post

#4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by JHEIII850Turbo:
Hey Mike

I recently had my CV Boots replaced on my 850 because they were leaking some sort of grease. As Kai said, a visual inspection is probably the most economical way to go. You can just feel behind the wheel, where the boots are, and see if you can feel an unordinary amount of grease (lots of it) and take a peek at them when your wheel is at a lock position (all the way to the right and/or left) check to see if there are any cracks in the boots. If there are, get that checked on ASAP because your bearings are behind them, and those are very costly...

BTW, Did I just get another post

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out tomorrow morning. (another post for me
)

#7 ·
Check for excessive play at the wheels. Try it with the wheels on the ground, and the wheels off the ground (grab at 12 & 6 and then 9 & 3). I can't always tell how much movement is too much, but I think you'll know if you feel it, or if one side is worse than the opposite side.

If there are any torn boots, get them fixed before it gets worse. Some people will use a plastic bag and some zip ties to cover a torn boot temporarily just to keep dirt out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.