SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

C70 Center Speaker Specs?

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  GShyneDM 
#1 ·
After removing the center speaker, I noticed that the magnet on the speaker fell to the side. I think its because the speaker cannot handle that much power that's why the magnet flew away. So, now I want to replace the speaker and I dont want to buy the factory one, since it'll probably do the same thing. Does anyone know what the specs is for the factory center speaker? I want to buy a better one. I know its 5-1/2" 1-way and only has the label Volvo, 9472027 LHD, 10347 98W22, Sweden 8 ohm. Guess its not a Dynaudio or a Harman Kardon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Leo

#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Leo Hsu:
After removing the center speaker, I noticed that the magnet on the speaker fell to the side. I think its because the speaker cannot handle that much power that's why the magnet flew away. So, now I want to replace the speaker and I dont want to buy the factory one, since it'll probably do the same thing. Does anyone know what the specs is for the factory center speaker? I want to buy a better one. I know its 5-1/2" 1-way and only has the label Volvo, 9472027 LHD, 10347 98W22, Sweden 8 ohm. Guess its not a Dynaudio or a Harman Kardon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Leo

what?! its only one speaker? and it fell apart? what happened.. did it stop working? i must have missed the previoud thread.

how much power were you putting thru the center speaker anyways?

#3 ·
The center speaker is a Nokia, I don't know what the specs are but if you look back in the volvo magazine archives in the owners circle website there was a whole article on the sound system of the C70, don't know why the center channel is Nokia, not Dynaudio but there you go.

#4 ·
The centre speaker is manufactured by Harman/Becker in Motala, Sweden, a part of Harman International. Harman purchased Nokias car speaker business some years ago, Nokia in its turn purchased Luxors car speaker business some more years back. Volvo has had a good relationship with the Motala speaker factory for many years, regardless if it is labeled Luxor, Nokia or Harman. The C70 centre speaker was developed to meet the very tough installation depth requirements for the C70 centre speaker. When Dynaudio was introduced as speaker supplier for the C70 the design brief was that they should only use off-the-shelf components, no new tools were allowed. So when Dynaudio lacked a shallow speaker Nokia was called upon to solve the dilemma. The result was a two-way system where the woofer has an inverted magnet system with a neodynium magnet, pretty high-tech for its time. The magnet was originally glued to the T-yoke but this glue could occasionaly come loose, and this is probably what has happened to your centre speaker. This problem was remedied in later versions of the centre speaker so the magnet is now screwed to the T-yoke and the risk of loose magnets is now gone. Your speaker is manufactured in week 22, 1998. This was before the screw was introduced. Your Volvo dealer should be able to provide you with the updated version of the centre speaker.

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Audioguy:
The centre speaker is manufactured by Harman/Becker in Motala, Sweden, speaker.......
Wow, thanks a lot for the information. I don't think anyone of us here would ever have that kind of information about that center speaker.

Is there any other information you would like to share with us. It is a bit ignorant of us here enjoying the awesome system that C70 but knows nothing about it.

I used to have the link for the guy who helped to design C70's system few years back, but have lost that long ago. It would be very helpful if you can share more knowledge of yours with us. TIA~!

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Wow, thanks a lot for the information. I don't think anyone of us here would ever have that kind of information about that center speaker.

Is there any other information you would like to share with us. It is a bit ignorant of us here enjoying the awesome system that C70 but knows nothing about it.

I used to have the link for the guy who helped to design C70's system few years back, but have lost that long ago. It would be very helpful if you can share more knowledge of yours with us. TIA~!

I have the link at home. I'll post it once I get home. Also, www.dynaudio.com has a lot of info as well (ie frequency charts and all that good stuff)

#12 ·
quote:

Mike, he IS the guy!!! He is Hans Lahti!!! The guy who is in that article...

I'd never expect he'll be reading Swedespeed, too. We rock~!
WHOA you are right!! WOW man.. thanks a bunch for the system.. its kicks some major arse. i love the system and have the hardest time wondering what to improve upon. great system and thanks for responding. i wonder which speaker i have... mine was exported from Sweden to Port Hueneme, CA on 05/28/1998 do i got the old speaker? and should i go to the dealer to get this fixed for free??

#15 ·
quote:

I got mine delivered on Sept. of 98, so I am assuming that I got the fixed one, right?
Hard to tell, I don't remember exactly when the screw was introduced but I know that the part number was changed. Although: not all glued magnets will fall off, it is only a fraction of the glued magnets that will exhibit this problem so as long as everything works you shouldn't worry: " if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

#16 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Audioguy:
Hard to tell, I don't remember exactly when the screw was introduced but I know that the part number was changed. Although: not all glued magnets will fall off, it is only a fraction of the glued magnets that will exhibit this problem so as long as everything works you shouldn't worry: " if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
if any..i prolly got the glued one... but my center speaker is still working. perhaps the previous owner never cranked it up? we'll see what happens to mine when i crank it
heheheheh *sneaky look* maybe in a year or two it'll break and i will contact volvo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.