SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Transmission

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cargusjoh 
#1 ·
Ok Peeps I got some info on the transmission. Well my mechanic told me what he did is order a transmission from vovlo and that transmission programing was erased then reprogramed with the computer for a faster ****ing time. Can only work with Auto Trannys so sorry Kai. I did see an improvement on the time so that is always a plus..

#4 ·
To be honest i dont know if the dealer would do that. It is very time consuming and not really volvo recommended. On the C70 you have to hook the computer up to your car thourgh the middle compartment then reset your transmission then program it with the different shifting ratios there is then the transmission learns the way you drive for about 600 miles. Now I am not a mechanic but he whatever he did was fast. it felt faster could be my imagination but I dont think so..

#7 ·
Say, where is your dealer? I may be traveling soon w/my C70. Very interested in this change to my 4 speed auto tranny. It always wants to upshift on me (fuel savings I guess), would appreciate faster shifts with higher shift points. no "sport mode" on 2000 ;-)

BTW I do like this tranny. Took for a drive in the mountains yesterday (Estes Park, grand Lake, Winter Park, Idaho Springs, then home). It up/down shifts nicely, and the C70 has true 1,2,3,D choices, not like my 850 l3D. And turbo is great even at 2 miles high plus!

carl

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by C70SPEED:
Ok Peeps I got some info on the transmission. Well my mechanic told me what he did is order a transmission from vovlo and that transmission programing was erased then reprogramed with the computer for a faster ****ing time. Can only work with Auto Trannys so sorry Kai. I did see an improvement on the time so that is always a plus..
this sounds like an excellent way to increase 0-60 times.

but isnt he just changing your gear ratios? i am not sure.. but dont you need a NEW transmission that can be reprogrammed? the volvo ones are stock...and cant be changed.

but also... this mechanic has to have a LOT of experience with the car, and had to have done extensive testing with each ratio he personally programmed into the tranny. otherwise you might have a reverse effect.

if you want better 0-60 times.. a close/low ratio gearbox is what you want.. if you want better top end.. HIgh ratio gearbox..

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:
Speaking of auto trannies, what would it take for me to switch out my 4-speed to a 5-speed auto, well besides the obvious?
i dont think there is THAT much of a difference in the build. basically what is changed is the computer chip and gearbox, which is still plugged into the exact same car build. i would think it all comes in a package... because they all need to be installed together. if you have the old one with three buttons. you need the newer one with only the WET condition driving button.

it would be nice to have a 5 speed.. maybe even 6 auto
hehehehhe

#11 ·
this sounds like an excellent way to increase 0-60 times.

but isnt he just changing your gear ratios? i am not sure.. but dont you need a NEW transmission that can be reprogrammed? the volvo ones are stock...and cant be changed.

but also... this mechanic has to have a LOT of experience with the car, and had to have done extensive testing with each ratio he personally programmed into the tranny. otherwise you might have a reverse effect.

if you want better 0-60 times.. a close/low ratio gearbox is what you want.. if you want better top end.. HIgh ratio gearbox

I really dont know much about it but maybe he did change the gear ratios. And He did order me a new transmission from volvo directly and then reprogramed it. He has 25 years working on volvo so I guess he is experienced engough to know what he is doing.
Whatever he did it seemed to work..

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:
i dont think there is THAT much of a difference in the build. basically what is changed is the computer chip and gearbox, which is still plugged into the exact same car build. i would think it all comes in a package... because they all need to be installed together. if you have the old one with three buttons. you need the newer one with only the WET condition driving button.

it would be nice to have a 5 speed.. maybe even 6 auto
hehehehhe
I guess I'll stick with 4 gears
. As for 6 speed, I'll take an M5

#19 ·
My 2000 C70 HPT coupe has 1,2,3,D (N,R,P) selections, and only W button, but is 4 speed (per sticker on window when I got it new...)

Carl

#21 ·
Can you compare/contrast the 4 and 5 speed? Curious if a very low gear was aded, or if all gears were recalibrated. Also, does it up shift up as fast as the four speed? Does it get to higher revs and hold it longer?

Thanks,
Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.