SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Replace Strut Spring Seats and Temp Fan?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
My dealer advised to replace the strut spring seats because its making noise when i drive. How hard is it to do it myself because the seat is only like $35 and the dealer wants to charge $300 for it. Do I need any special tools? If there is a website that has info on this that would be great.

Also, when I turn on my engine, the A/C control's light blink red for like 30 secs. The dealer says the Temp Fan is short circuiting. I cant find the temp fan in the parts list.. is it the same as Blower Motor? And how hard would it be to replace it myself?

Last, its 70K miles and I need to replace the timing belt. You think its wise to do it myself? Or is it too dangerous and I should pay $300 for a dealer to do it? Thanks!

Leo

#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Leo Hsu:
My dealer advised to replace the strut spring seats because its making noise when i drive. How hard is it to do it myself because the seat is only like $35 and the dealer wants to charge $300 for it. Do I need any special tools? If there is a website that has info on this that would be great.

Also, when I turn on my engine, the A/C control's light blink red for like 30 secs. The dealer says the Temp Fan is short circuiting. I cant find the temp fan in the parts list.. is it the same as Blower Motor? And how hard would it be to replace it myself?

Last, its 70K miles and I need to replace the timing belt. You think its wise to do it myself? Or is it too dangerous and I should pay $300 for a dealer to do it? Thanks!

Leo
i believe the struts spring seats should be pretty easy... if you have a car lift. its a lot of work.. and i think you would need help if you are doing this on your own. preferably someone who knows what they are doing to help. plus afterwards.. i would think an alignment check would be due, so your car gets adjusted to the new materials

as for the fan... umm i dont know anything at all. i would assume the dealer would tell you the part number if they want to charge you to fix it. i have never taken apart the fan.. so i dont know if it is hard or not. this is the TEMP fan? not the main fan? i would get it professionally installed because your car staying cool is important.

70k miles... didnt you change the timing belt at 50k? the timing belt, well i always left the dealer to do that. i didnt want to mess with it.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Leo Hsu:

Leo
See my response at the brickboard. Too lazy to cut and paste

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.