SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Spaceball

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Johann 
#1 ·
After a bit of investigating, I have found out that the "Spaceball" (as fitted on the S80???)is actually just a cosmetic surround.

My dealer has agreed to sell me one for £70, but I obvoiusly have to fit it myself.

Has anyone else done this or attempted this???

Before buying the parts, I was after a bit of info on what may be involved, like size difference of the hole in the centre console.

Thanx

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by George@Swedespeed:
I don't think anyone has done it, but I bet Kai would be interested in seeing what you do..
Who said I'd be interested...I didn't even pay much attention to the topic.

I think Yannis has mentioned this once before. No it will not be an easy task to fit that spaceball shifter...if completely not possible. After trying out the short shifter kit meant for new V70 and S60 from IPD, it was apparent that it was not possible to fit that short shifter kit for the previous models.....so my guess would be that it is probably going to be a huge task to convert this. A lot more detail that I'll probably just let Yannis have his chance typing out a long explaination for this.

On top of all the troubles trying to fit that trim piece of the shifter base, you will still have to somehow resolve the major mechanical differences around base of shifter, the actual metal base on the top of the gearbox.

All in all, that's a hell of job to do to make it work. But I'd like to see someone get it done.....

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by topless_tart:
After a bit of investigating, I have found out that the "Spaceball" (as fitted on the S80???)is actually just a cosmetic surround.

My dealer has agreed to sell me one for £70, but I obvoiusly have to fit it myself.

Has anyone else done this or attempted this???

Before buying the parts, I was after a bit of info on what may be involved, like size difference of the hole in the centre console.

Thanx
i dont even know what the "spaceball" is... got pictures??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.