SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Navi screen

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
The C70 has a navigation system as option. It can be installed with the factory audio system but you have to dispense of the Dolby Pro Logic function since the navi screen uses the same installation hole as the centre speaker and the navi processor uses the same bracket as the Dolby processor.

In the newer Volvos (new V70, S60, S80, XC70, XC90) you can combine navigation and Dolby Pro Logic/Pro Logic II but you will get a smaller centre speaker instead of the full size one you get if you don't have navi.

#2 ·
Would it be possible to just relocate the dolby processor, hence still retain it? Also, would it be possible to keep both and just use a smaller center speaker (aka newer models)? I don't crank up the center speaker on mine too much, so it's not much of a loss to me. What other things are needed to get this conversion done (besides money of course
)? Thank you very much for your knowledge and wisdom as usual.

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Audioguy:
The C70 has a navigation system as option. It can be installed with the factory audio system but you have to dispense of the Dolby Pro Logic function since the navi screen uses the same installation hole as the centre speaker and the navi processor uses the same bracket as the Dolby processor.

In the newer Volvos (new V70, S60, S80, XC70, XC90) you can combine navigation and Dolby Pro Logic/Pro Logic II but you will get a smaller centre speaker instead of the full size one you get if you don't have navi.
hrmmm... navigation system at the loss of the prologic..

what about using a laptop with GPS system. it would go on top of your passenger seat when you need it. and you can just store it away when you are done.

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:
hrmmm... navigation system at the loss of the prologic..

what about using a laptop with GPS system. it would go on top of your passenger seat when you need it. and you can just store it away when you are done.
Well, it's not just the navi I'm interested in. If you have a screen there, you can just tap into the screen with and TV converter and get video as well as TV input. That's what I'm after.

#9 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:
Would it be possible to just relocate the dolby processor, hence still retain it? Also, would it be possible to keep both and just use a smaller center speaker (aka newer models)? ... What other things are needed to get this conversion done?
The navi system has several parts: Display, processor unit (including TMC tuner, I think?), GPS antenna, CD drive, remote control and a bunch of wires and brackets.

The processor is in conflict with the Dolby unit, I'm not sure if you can locate them differently, you just have to try to see if you can squeeze them both in somehow, maybe you need to modify the wiring and bracket to manage. Just beware of rattle and ground loops.

The screen is in conflict with the centre speaker, in this case I would keep the original screen and try to fit another centre speaker. If you find a small and shallow centre speaker that can be fitted together with the navi screen you need to have the screen up whenever you want to listen to the Dolby system since the screen folds down over the opening in the dashboard. If you put the centre speaker somewhere else you need to make a new hole in the dashboard.

The remote is an ordinary IR hand remote, no steering wheel controls, I'm afraid, so don't loose the remote. The remote communicates with the navi system via the IR eye in the display.

The CD drive is fitted under the glove compartment and is accessed through a cut-out in the bottom of the compartment.

The easiest way would of course be to buy an aftermarket navi system but that won't look as nice and may provide you with a new set of installation problems.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

[This message has been edited by Audioguy (edited 06-10-2002).]

#10 ·
quote:

The navi system has several parts: Display, processor unit (including TMC tuner, I think?), GPS antenna, CD drive, remote control and a bunch of wires and brackets.

The processor is in conflict with the Dolby unit, I'm not sure if you can locate them differently, you just have to try to see if you can squeeze them both in somehow, maybe you need to modify the wiring and bracket to manage. Just beware of rattle and ground loops.

The screen is in conflict with the centre speaker, in this case I would keep the original screen and try to fit another centre speaker. If you find a small and shallow centre speaker that can be fitted together with the navi screen you need to have the screen up whenever you want to listen to the Dolby system since the screen folds down over the opening in the dashboard. If you put the centre speaker somewhere else you need to make a new hole in the dashboard.

The remote is an ordinary IR hand remote, no steering wheel controls, I'm afraid, so don't loose the remote. The remote communicates with the navi system via the IR eye in the display.

The CD drive is fitted under the glove compartment and is accessed through a cut-out in the bottom of the compartment.

The easiest way would of course be to buy an aftermarket navi system but that won't look as nice and may provide you with a new set of installation problems.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

[This message has been edited by Audioguy (edited 06-10-2002).]
Wow! What a reply. Thanks! The two processors that are in conflict...Is it just a physical conflict as far as placement is concerned or is there any electronic (software) issues? If it's just physical restriction, I can be creative

For the drive, is it possible to put it in the glove compartment, like the CD changer? Better yet, can you just route it from the trunk? For the CD, is it CD-ROM based or DVD? Does Volvo have a disc for the US since I haven't seen any cars available with the NAV system. Thanks for your response.

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:

The two processors that are in conflict...Is it just a physical conflict as far as placement is concerned or is there any electronic (software) issues? ...
For the drive, is it possible to put it in the glove compartment, like the CD changer? Better yet, can you just route it from the trunk? For the CD, is it CD-ROM based or DVD? Does Volvo have a disc for the US?
The conflict between the processors is strictly physical, the two systems are stand-alone and share no resources other than speakers and antenna. Make sure you don't get problems with ground loops or rattle when you install the processors together.

You can put the CD drive in the glove compartment if you can spare the space. I think the trunk location can be difficult since you need to lengthen the wires a lot, this can create EMC problems and some of the output stages may have a hard time driving longer cables.

The system is CD based, it's only the newest Volvo navi systems that are released this year that are DVD based. Check with your dealer about CD ROM availability. This is not really my area of expertise.

#12 ·
quote:

The system is CD based, it's only the newest Volvo navi systems that are released this year that are DVD based. Check with your dealer about CD ROM availability. This is not really my area of expertise.
I was in a Volvo main dealer over the weekend and they had a large display of audio visual equipment such as TV monitors crafted into headrests and those pods which drop screens from the roof.

Could be worth a look to see if this an official avenue for Volvo ICE. The display revolved around a DVD and computer console compatibility.

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by topless_tart:
I was in a Volvo main dealer over the weekend and they had a large display of audio visual equipment such as TV monitors crafted into headrests and those pods which drop screens from the roof.

Could be worth a look to see if this an official avenue for Volvo ICE. The display revolved around a DVD and computer console compatibility.
I wish we had something like that here in the US. We're so behind in the automotive world.

#14 ·
quote:

The conflict between the processors is strictly physical, the two systems are stand-alone and share no resources other than speakers and antenna. Make sure you don't get problems with ground loops or rattle when you install the processors together.

You can put the CD drive in the glove compartment if you can spare the space. I think the trunk location can be difficult since you need to lengthen the wires a lot, this can create EMC problems and some of the output stages may have a hard time driving longer cables.

Thanks. I'll look into it some more. Probably costs a pretty penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.