1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  GShyneDM 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
Audioguy,

I am just curious, what do you think about Edmunds ranking of the top 10 stereo systems? The S80 placed 2nd for sound but was marked down to 3rd because of strange ergonomics.

Top 10 Sound Systemshttp://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/58886/article.html

The ergonomics on the XC90 seem to be a lot better from the looks of things.

-Drew
I'm not sure how Edmunds test and rate car audio systems so it's hard for me to tell how accurate their list is. One thing I noted was that the S80 was the only car that came with an un-branded system, all the other cars tries to enhance their system by slapping a badge on it. If you compare the Lexus ML system to the S80 with Dolby Pro Logic turned off I can agree that the ML system is the better one. With DPL active the match could be a tie where the systems excel in different areas.

Strange that the C70 wasn't in the list, maybe it's too old? Despite its age the C70 still kicks ML ass and also Porsche/Bose has little to defend themselves with if compared with a C70, top up or down.

Regarding ergonomics I can only agree. Removing those preset buttons was probably one of our biggest mistakes so far. Rest assured, though, preset buttons (10 of them) are back in the XC90. We did extensive ergonomics clinics in the US before we finalized the design of the XC90 control panel just to be sure never to repeat the S80/V70/S60/X40 debacle.

BTW, I think the Premium Sound System of the XC90 will give the Lexus/ML system a good run for its money. The XC90 can boast with such features as Dolby Pro Logic II, powered subwoofer (with separate volume control) and four individual headphone outlets in the rear seats.

[This message has been edited by Audioguy (edited 06-15-2002).]

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by kensworld53:
What Edmunds.com Says
"Based on a platform that is nearly a decade old, the first "out of the box" Volvo is in need of a redesign."
Is the c70 ten years old? I thought the first ones came out in 1998?
I think they refer to the fact that the C70 is based on the Volvo 850 platform that was introduced in 1992.

#8 ·
Audioguy,

Thanks for the great information you provide. One of the major concerns from reviewers seems to be that strange preset system that the S80/V70/S60/X40 uses. Everything else they seem to like a lot.

Does the XC90 have a 4-disc changer or have they moved up to 6 discs now? I wonder if the MiniDisc option will be popular here in the US. As far as I know, Cadillac is the only other car maker offering this option.

My only wish right now, is that car makers will offer stock systems that can read MP3 files. That would be really cool!

-Drew

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
Audioguy,

Thanks for the great information you provide. One of the major concerns from reviewers seems to be that strange preset system that the S80/V70/S60/X40 uses. Everything else they seem to like a lot.

Does the XC90 have a 4-disc changer or have they moved up to 6 discs now? I wonder if the MiniDisc option will be popular here in the US. As far as I know, Cadillac is the only other car maker offering this option.

My only wish right now, is that car makers will offer stock systems that can read MP3 files. That would be really cool!

-Drew
Lets continue this topic in the Car Audio forum. I will rename it to XC90 audio -->

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.