SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

C70 v.s SC430...fair comparison? *audioguy*

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rothe 
#1 ·
Of course, I was just trying to get your attentions.

I'm just curious how would you compare the C70 Dynaudio/Alpine system to the Lexus Mark Levinson system.

I know the Mark Levinson audio system for home use is as good as it can get, but Dynaudio is not some cheesey speaker brand to be overlooked.

I've never heard the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus myself, but I would like to think what you all think about this comparison.

#2 ·
If you are talking about high-end, IMHO Mark Levinson cannot really be compared to Dynaudio. Mark Levinson makes components for the 'poor' compared to what Dynaudio produces.

Consider the fact that the most expensive Mark Levinson No. 33 Reference costs $18,500 compared to the Dynaudio Evidence Master which costs around $85,500 for two loudspeakers.

Dynaudio and Wilson Audio for example, are in a totally different league. Wilson Audio X-1 Grand SLAMM Series II speakers can go upwards of $120,000 for two loudspeakers.

Edmunds.com said that the S80 T6 Dolby system was second only to the LS430 Mark Levinson system in sound quality. Pretty good considering the Levinson system costs $4,000 more.

My .02 cents...

-Drew

#3 ·
I auditioned the SC430 some time ago to see how Harman could help the poor Japanese. As you probably know, ML is a Harman company. It would be to go a little bit too far to say that there are actually ML stuff in the SC430 but lets say that the components are specified and tuned by ML but manufactured by one of Harmans many OEM factories that serve the automotive industry. Prior to the Toyota/Lexus affair with ML/Harman they turned to domestic brands like Pioneer and Nakamichi but appearantly they needed something that sounded better to the american ear.

If I remember my notes correctly the SC430 sound was not at all bad but had some drawbacks that I would find hard to live with in the long run.

The ML system does not provide a centre channel or any other kind of soundstage enhancement for the front channels. Instead they create a false spaciousness in the rear channels by adding reverb or delayed signals, not the same as extracting phase shifted signals like in a matrix decoder. This was probably done to derease the nearfield effect from the rear channels that are actually closer to the listener than the front channels. The result was however not that impressive, since they actually alter the original signal and try to create a fake acoustic environment you could get some very ugly side-effects with some program material. Not in my taste, anyway.

The overall spectral balance was good, still a bit to go to the effortless C70 sound, though. Especially in the bass the C70 has an advantage where it goes deeper and with less emphasis on the midbass. Focusing on the midbass is an old trick that is used to move the attention away from the deep bass which is much harder to reproduce accurately in a car. In the C70 you get real bass...

Midrange and treble doesn't really reach C70 levels even if it is quite good but I guess the Japs didn't have as much money to burn on speakers as we did

#4 ·
i hear ya audioguy.. the lows are LOW in the C70.. its not just BOOMINg like cheap after market subs on a "bling bling" BOOM box on wheels.

the sound is very superb. the sound range is covered very well compared to other cars i have rode in or drove.

but hearing the prices on those home speakers gives me the creeps. people have so much money to spend on only PARTS of their system. man.. that is crazy...here i was thinking my 5.1 DD system was expensive... where two speakers cost enough to get me 4 NEW c70s fullyloaded.. or if not.. a NICE exotic... man... share the wealth people

#5 ·
A little fill in to what audioguy said about the lexus.

The major drawbacks on the lexus was just the lack of deep bass and a poor soundstage.

The singer seemed to be in the lower corners of the windscreen instead of good centered soundstage as you will find in all the volvos (especially the c70) even without centre speaker.

It gave a good first impression but after listening for a while you will start to find the drawbacks and you will start to get listening tired. One thing you will not be in the c70.

The most impressing thing with the lexus was the installation. really nice (even if a got the doorpanels to rattle on some pieces when playing really loud)

Conclusion: A good Dynaudio system will always rock.

(hmm... wonder why there aren't any more volvos with Dynaudio systems or maybe there will be in the near future, who knows?
)

[This message has been edited by audiolover (edited 07-04-2002).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.