SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

235/45/17s on Canistos?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  PrAzMaN 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Since no one has answered in the wheel and tire forum, I'm posting it here. Just wondering if anyone out there tried 235s on their stock 17" Canistos (for the C70). I have 225s right now but there is no sidewall protection. The rim size is 7.5" so I know they'll fit. Is there going to be any rubbing problems once I put them on? I'm getting new slicks soon so I need your opinions on this. Thanks.

P.S. Since we're on the subject already, what's everyone using on their wheels right now? Thanks again.

#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mike_c70:
Hey guys,

Since no one has answered in the wheel and tire forum, I'm posting it here. Just wondering if anyone out there tried 235s on their stock 17" Canistos (for the C70). I have 225s right now but there is no sidewall protection. The rim size is 7.5" so I know they'll fit. Is there going to be any rubbing problems once I put them on? I'm getting new slicks soon so I need your opinions on this. Thanks.

P.S. Since we're on the subject already, what's everyone using on their wheels right now? Thanks again.

235 is to big for the C70 and to wide for the rim, it would fit like a baloon.
I would advice you look at 215/45-17" which gives a nice ride on the X70 chassis.
I think Bridgestone S03's and Dunlop SP9000 offer rim protection on their tires but I don't like the Dunlop's very much.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
235 is to big for the C70 and to wide for the rim, it would fit like a baloon.
I would advice you look at 215/45-17" which gives a nice ride on the X70 chassis.
I think Bridgestone S03's and Dunlop SP9000 offer rim protection on their tires but I don't like the Dunlop's very much.

Johann, stock rubber on the Canistos are already 225s, so I'm definitely not going any smaller. I checked the rim size and 235s would definitely fit on the 7.5" rims. I know that the S4s came in 225s stock but I've seen people put on 235s on them with no problems (for rim protection as well). Question is, can I do that same with the Canistos and not risk rubbing?

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by towerymt:
If you want sidewall protection, go taller. If you get a taller tire AND a wider tire, you'll probably have rubbing problems. Generally you can push the limit on one, but not both.

BTW, what size are you using now and what size did you want to use?

I'm currently using 225/45/17s. I want to go 235/45/17. Im using Sumitomos right now and if you look at it. The tires are dead flush with the rim, so if I do scrape something, the wheels will go first before the tires. I want the tires to stick out a bit so that the rims are somewhat protected. Valet in LA aren't the brightest parkers in the world.

#6 ·
I see, I was thinking taller sidewall to protect the wheel against bends.

I'm not sure you'll be able to fit a tire wide enough to bulge and not rub. I've seen 245/40/17 on 17x7 Titan wheels, and they look like they'd protect the wheel lips very well. My 205/55/15 on 15x6 were similar, but 235s on a 7.5" wheel may only protect against very light scuffing.

Check the clearance on the front between the inner edge of the tire and the inner fender/strut.

#7 ·
quote:

I'm currently using 225/45/17s. I want to go 235/45/17. Im using Sumitomos right now and if you look at it. The tires are dead flush with the rim, so if I do scrape something, the wheels will go first before the tires. I want the tires to stick out a bit so that the rims are somewhat protected. Valet in LA aren't the brightest parkers in the world.

AAh, you want the "ballooning" to create a distance to the rim.
I thought you were looking for rubber with the prodection profile build in.
I still think it is a strange tire size on that rim, in Europe we use 215/45-17" and they fit like a glove with the protection profile included.
Same is with the S60/V70, in the US it's 235 and in Europe 225.....
US people complain about rubbing on standard factory setups and Euro's don't.
I don't understand why Volvo does it.

This is a picture of a V70 I owned a few years back.
Tires are the no longer available Bridgestone S02's

[This message has been edited by Johann (edited 06-22-2002).]

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
I still think it is a strange tire size on that rim, in Europe we use 215/45-17" and they fit like a glove with the protection profile included.
Not in the UK. Standard rubber on C70s with 17" wheels is and has always been 225/45. And they scrape just as easily across here.

Scott

#14 ·
quote:

The C70 is meant to take 18" with no problems. I believe the S70 was intended to use 16". 17s would fit but I think only with 215s. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
When I was looking for my wheels, I was told that the C70 can take 9 x 19's without modification.

Don't know is this only applied to the rear or all round, but these would have to be fitted with a 245 or 255/35 tyre!!!

#15 ·
quote:

Originally posted by topless_tart:
When I was looking for my wheels, I was told that the C70 can take 9 x 19's without modification.

Don't know is this only applied to the rear or all round, but these would have to be fitted with a 245 or 255/35 tyre!!!
I probably would think this is only for the back. If you had that in the front, that would cause some serious rubbing (unless you keep on driving straight all the time
)

#17 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:
hehehe.. can someone explain what all these #'s represent?

i'm an amateur to tire #'s i used to be able to just order the tire thru saying my car model and wheel size (17")

THANKS
The first number is the width of the tire in (mm). The second is the aspect ratio between the height of the side wall and the width of the tire. (So the lower the aspect the lower profile the tire.) The last number is the diameter. The R means radial.

Check it out here... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.