SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Audio Questions, Newbie De-lurk

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  biggerhurt38 
#1 ·
(Since these are nearly all completely unique to the C70, I'll post here rather than in the Audio forum. Hope this is the Right Thing To Do, especially because this is my first post.)

First off, I'd like to echo the others here who have praised AudioGuy for the standard-setting system he developed (and his team!). Congratulations, Mr. Lahti, not just for such a project so remarkably well done, but also for landing such a swell job!

Now, a few questions, all w.r.t. my 1999 coupe (in the USA).

1. CD-R media. I've found that my SC-901 is very particular about which brands of media it will play well. The 803 in our S60 is not particular at all; it will play anything I burn without complaint. Does anyone have favorite media for the 901? I've used CompUSA's cheap, colored 24X media
(OEM'd by FMI) to nearly universal success, as well as TEAC and certain Maxell types. The particular CompUSA disks don't seem to be available any more...

2. Has anyone had success in fixing vibrating door panel pieces? Modest to loud bass causes vibrations in both of my doors at times, and very occasionally somewhere in the hat shelf. It seems to be getting worse over time.
Moreover, should I trust anyone (my local dealer, local car audio
shops) else to try to work on this?

3. Amplifier specifics. I know that the main amp is some model of Alpine V12. Is it one 4 X 100W amp, or two 2 X 100W's? I have not yet tried to look at the amp myself using a mirror to see over the trunk wall. One small issue I would note is that I believe I occasionally get noticable
distortion at high volumes with especially deep bass. Am I correct to assume that if anything, the Alpine isn't keeping up as well as something more powerful might? I suspect the Dynaudio's can handle anything the V12 will throw at it.

4. CD Track display. Is there any way to set the 901 to display the time elapsed on a track continuously, instead of the brief display when you press the << >> buttons?

5. Custom EQ settings. Is there any way to "cut-n-paste" the standard coupe eq settings into the custom setting? I would like to experiment with slight adjustments to the coupe setting, but when I choose the
custom setting, of course it starts out with all freq's flat.

Thanks for any and all help any of you can give.

(And thanks for a great forum.)

See less See more
#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by NickC70HPTM_S60T5:
1. CD-R media. I've found that my SC-901 is very particular about which brands of media it will play well. The 803 in our S60 is not particular at all; it will play anything I burn without complaint. Does anyone have favorite media for the 901? I've used CompUSA's cheap, colored 24X media
(OEM'd by FMI) to nearly universal success, as well as TEAC and certain Maxell types. The particular CompUSA disks don't seem to be available any more...

Funny, I have the exact opposite problem with my HU-803/SC-901. The 901 swallows anything I feed it and the 803 is very particular. I know that both Alpine and Mitsubishi are continously updating their CD drives to accommodate for the ever poorer quality of the CD-R discs. The problem is that the CD-R discs are drifting further and further away from the CD standard called the Red Book. There are three parameters that affect how well a CD-R will work: the CD-R itself, the CD burner and the burner software. It is virtually impossible to keep up with which is best and which will work at any given moment, you'll just have to experiment.

2. Has anyone had success in fixing vibrating door panel pieces? Modest to loud bass causes vibrations in both of my doors at times, and very occasionally somewhere in the hat shelf. It seems to be getting worse over time.
Moreover, should I trust anyone (my local dealer, local car audio
shops) else to try to work on this?

I think your best bet is with your Volvo dealer. The car is designed by an English engineering company called TWR, maybe they are familiar to some of you race fanatics? Anyway, their experience with mass production is limited so some of their design solutions called for some post-assembly adjustment to be up to Volvo requirements. Your doors and hatshelf may be victim to this syndrome. But the Volvo shop should know what to do.

3. Amplifier specifics. I know that the main amp is some model of Alpine V12. Is it one 4 X 100W amp, or two 2 X 100W's? I have not yet tried to look at the amp myself using a mirror to see over the trunk wall. One small issue I would note is that I believe I occasionally get noticable
distortion at high volumes with especially deep bass. Am I correct to assume that if anything, the Alpine isn't keeping up as well as something more powerful might? I suspect the Dynaudio's can handle anything the V12 will throw at it.

It's 4x100 W (at 10% THD) or 4x65 W (at 0.15% THD). It is a very powerful system indeed but if you crank up the bass and volume and play a bass heavy track you can saturate the system since it lacks a limiter to protect for such a case. We didn't think anyone would play that loud
. If you opt for a more powerful amp the speakers should be able to handle it but don't play loud if it distorts, that will blow your speakers eventually.

4. CD Track display. Is there any way to set the 901 to display the time elapsed on a track continuously, instead of the brief display when you press the << >> buttons?

No.

5. Custom EQ settings. Is there any way to "cut-n-paste" the standard coupe eq settings into the custom setting? I would like to experiment with slight adjustments to the coupe setting, but when I choose the
custom setting, of course it starts out with all freq's flat.

I might post the EQ settings later on if I can find them... Keep your eyes open in this forum.
[This message has been edited by Audioguy (edited 06-28-2002).]

#3 ·
Thanks for your prompt follow-up.

I'm nervous about my dealer working on the door panel noises. Again, these are purely from moderate/heavy bass, not from driving. I worry about them introducing other rattles in the process of fixing these. I can make a CD to demonstrate the rattles for them, of course.

I've since found more of the one of the most reliable CDR media, but yes, I'm continuing to experiment. It really does seem to be only a matter of the *brand*, not burning speeds (I have 24x).

I'm reluctant to suggest I *want* a more powerful amp, because the system is so fine as it is. But I do listen to fairly dynamic music, and the VERY occasional clipping of bass does make me worry a bit. And yes, I should NOT play it so loud...want to save my hearing for old age.

I have noticed something else now. On certain specific pieces of music, I get a sort of "scratchy" sound in (I think) the tweeters. It sounds like the speaker's blown, sort of (but I don't really know what that sounds like), or perhaps it's a problem with a crossover or??? Strange because it's only in a fairly narrow upper-mid frequency range (French horns) in a couple of pieces, and I'm quite sure it's not IN the music itself. I'll play around to try to isolate it.

#4 ·
quote:

I have noticed something else now. On certain specific pieces of music, I get a sort of "scratchy" sound in (I think) the tweeters. It sounds like the speaker's blown, sort of (but I don't really know what that sounds like), or perhaps it's a problem with a crossover or??? Strange because it's only in a fairly narrow upper-mid frequency range (French horns) in a couple of pieces, and I'm quite sure it's not IN the music itself. I'll play around to try to isolate it.
OK, I'll keep my eyes open in this forum.

#5 ·
Audioguy -
While we're on the topic of C70 audio, I am interested in adding the optional rear speakers to my '01 HPT convertible. I do have a few questions:
1) is the car prewired for them? (i.e. just install, plug in, and go)
2) Do you have a service part number for the speakers? What size and wattage are they?
3) Do they come as a kit which includes the switch for the rear passengers to turn them off?

I really like the SC901/Pro-logic system but the holes are there so I might as well put some speakers in them.....

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by buschman:
Audioguy -
While we're on the topic of C70 audio, I am interested in adding the optional rear speakers to my '01 HPT convertible. I do have a few questions:
1) is the car prewired for them? (i.e. just install, plug in, and go)
2) Do you have a service part number for the speakers? What size and wattage are they?
3) Do they come as a kit which includes the switch for the rear passengers to turn them off?

I really like the SC901/Pro-logic system but the holes are there so I might as well put some speakers in them.....
Hi!

The rear bass speakers for C70 convertible comes as a kit and I think they are prewired.
9204655-6 is the number for the kit and it includes the switch.

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by c70pusher:
I hadn't had a problem with a CD-R yet. But I did try a CD-RW once, and it wouldn't work. So I'm guessing an MP3 file coded disc is out too???? Or can the 901 play those???
Hi!

Unfortunately none of the Volvo systems today can play MP3.l
The only ones handling compressed music of any kind is the HU833 & HU831 with minidisc for the japanese market

#9 ·
Hi audiolover. I read if i remember correctly that you are doing the audio also for the XC90 is that true. If so please do as good as job as you did on the c70. I just bought one hasnt even arrived yet dont know when either they have an estimated date for me around december. Wehe I was like the second person they told me that bought one without even seeing it.

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by C70SPEED:
Hi audiolover. I read if i remember correctly that you are doing the audio also for the XC90 is that true. If so please do as good as job as you did on the c70. I just bought one hasnt even arrived yet dont know when either they have an estimated date for me around december. Wehe I was like the second person they told me that bought one without even seeing it.
Hi!

I think you mix me up with audioguy who is manager for the Volvo audio department and also was the projectmanager for C70 audio system.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Audioguy:
1. CD-R media. I've found that my SC-901 is very particular
about which brands of media it will play well. The 803 in our
S60 is not particular at all; it will play anything I burn without
complaint. Does anyone have favorite media for the 901? I've
used CompUSA's cheap, colored 24X media
(OEM'd by FMI) to nearly universal success, as well as TEAC
and certain Maxell types. The particular CompUSA disks don't
seem to be available any more...

Funny, I have the exact opposite problem with my HU-803/SC-901.
The 901 swallows anything I feed it and the 803 is very particular.
I know that both Alpine and Mitsubishi are continously updating
their CD drives to accommodate for the ever poorer quality of the
CD-R discs. The problem is that the CD-R discs are drifting further
and further away from the CD standard called the Red Book. There
are three parameters that affect how well a CD-R will work: the
CD-R itself, the CD burner and the burner software. It is virtually
impossible to keep up with which is best and which will work at
any given moment, you'll just have to experiment.

Hi Audioguy,

Do I have understood you correctly that Alpine has changed the CD player unit of the SC-901 in the past to make it perform better with CD-R media?
I got my C70 convertible in May 2000. So, I guess I have an "older" SC-901 unit and that would probably explain all my troubles with the CD player. My problem is that the CD player of the SC-901 needs a lot of time to start playing CD-R media. Sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes to start. This is almost unbearable! I have tried different brands of CD-R media but have not found one which works well.
You say that the CD-R discs are drifting further away from the CD standard and that is the main reason of this problem. But that doesn't explain why my 12 year old CD player from AKAI at home has no trouble at all to play back all my self burned audio CDs. If the CD-R discs were that bad wouldn't my AKAI player not like them like the SC-901?
I am really very disappointed in the CD player of my SC-901.

Is there a chance that a newer SC-901 unit (from 2002) has a newer CD player unit and might work better? If yes how can I convince my local car dealer where I have bought my C70 to exchange it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Gagome

[This message has been edited by Gagome (edited 08-05-2002).]

#12 ·
Originally posted by Gagome:

Do I have understood you correctly that Alpine has changed the CD player unit of the SC-901 in the past to make it perform better with CD-R media?

Actually, Alpine changed the CD drive between the models SC-900 and SC-901 to improve a lot of things, mainly disc change time, but that was some time before 2000. The continous updating I referred to does seldom cause a change in part or model number and can not always be detected by service personnel or customers so it might be a good idea to test a newer radio to see if it handles CD-R better. It's an easy enough procedure to exchange an SC-901 radio so I suppose your dealer can do that test while you wait.

You say that the CD-R discs are drifting further away from the CD standard and that is the main reason of this problem. But that doesn't explain why my 12 year old CD player from AKAI at home has no trouble at all to play back all my self burned audio CDs. If the CD-R discs were that bad wouldn't my AKAI player not like them like the SC-901?

A home CD player and a car CD player are optimised on different parameters since they operate in different environments. A car CD player has a different pick-up, control and decoder circuitry to cope with the adverse conditions in a car (temperature change, humidity, dust, vibration etc) whereas a home CD operates at constant temperature, no humidity, dust or vibrations. Hence a home CD can have a more sensitive reader and decoder strategy without risking to fall out of spec. Also, each manufacturer has different strategies regarding which parameter of a CD players performance is the most important to optimise, and these strategies can also vary over time within the same company as a reply to customer requirements. All this taken into account you can see that it is not at all strange to find an old home CD player from one brand that can handle CD-R better than a new car CD player from another brand.

Also: your individual car CD player might be out of spec so that is also a reason to visit your dealer.

Is there a chance that a newer SC-901 unit (from 2002) has a newer CD player unit and might work better? If yes how can I convince my local car dealer where I have bought my C70 to exchange it?

How about flowers or a box of chocolate?
Seriously, if you explain your dilemma they should be forthcoming to your wishes if they consider themselves as customer oriented. At least they should test another, newer unit in your car to see if it performs better. Good luck!

#13 ·
on the topic of audio, I've got the 11-speaker upgrade. Where are all of them located, there's the 3 in the dash, the 4 in the doors, and I take it there are 4 in the back? prob a speaker and tweater? Not sure, looks like it though when looking at the underside in the trunk. Are the subs in the door?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.