SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

suspension questions...

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Well, I think my suspension is slowly dying. The car is not riding as smooth as it once was. Anyways, I'm looking into suspension upgrades.. Here are some quotes I got:

Koni sports are $501.20
Bilstein touring class $319.00
Bilstein heavy duty $399.00
Sachs/Boge $334.00
(excludes OE self leveling rear)
sets of 4
Eibach Pro-kit $249.00 (These are due 5/1/02)
B&G springs $219.00 lowers 1.6"
H+R $269.00 Lowers 1.3"

Can someone please explain to me the difference between the Bilstein heavy duty and touring class? Also, can someone justify the price for the Konis? Are they worth it? What about springs? I'm leaning towards IPD right now (due to the summer sale) but I had H&Rs on my old Maxima and loved them. What about B&G (although I'm a little reserved about the very low ride height). What about the other ones? Any input is much appreciated.
Kai, I know you have H&Rs and Bilsteins. How much did they lower your car and what type shocks did you use? Thanks.

Regards,
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
H&R + Bilstein combo won't lower your car the most, but I think it's the best all around setup. Not too soft and not too stiff like the Koni. Since 800/70 series already have some harsh ride to start with, I just don't want to make it even worse.

Ever thought about those coilovers? I've considered getting one of those, but now....kinda broke, so no more car stuff for a while. Well, okay...after I put the upgraded IC and 850 T5's fuel rail thingy, then I'll end the project then.

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
H&R + Bilstein combo won't lower your car the most, but I think it's the best all around setup. Not too soft and not too stiff like the Koni. Since 800/70 series already have some harsh ride to start with, I just don't want to make it even worse.

Ever thought about those coilovers? I've considered getting one of those, but now....kinda broke, so no more car stuff for a while. Well, okay...after I put the upgraded IC and 850 T5's fuel rail thingy, then I'll end the project then.
Coilovers would cost me an arm and a leg right now. What Bilsteins do you have on your car?

#4 ·
Bilstein heavy duty is a mono-tube "sport" shock. Bilstein touring is a twin-tube OEM replacement, but it should be a little better. Go with the HD if you choose between the two.

Koni are usually more expensive than Bilstein, and often they are stiffer. They're probably adjustable too, which adds to the price.

#5 ·
I put IPD springs on my C70 and it made the ride a little stiff. But it looks good in my opinion. It droped it close to an inch, I think IPD says .8 if I'm not mistaken. I haven't put any new shocks yet. Maybe after I put those on it might make it a little smother but the ride is not that bad. I wouldn't go back to the orginal springs!

#6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by dcbeltran:
I put IPD springs on my C70 and it made the ride a little stiff. But it looks good in my opinion. It droped it close to an inch, I think IPD says .8 if I'm not mistaken. I haven't put any new shocks yet. Maybe after I put those on it might make it a little smother but the ride is not that bad. I wouldn't go back to the orginal springs!
According to their website, it's suppose to drop 1.25". It looks like I'm going with the Bilsteins HD. Don't know about the springs yet, H&R or IPD.

#7 ·
Damn, I swore it was only .8. I looked at a few of them but maybe it was the eibach springs that were more around that area. Anyways I'm very happy was IPD. I see that they raised there price again. I got mine for 180 around memorial day. Maybe you can get them to drop the price. Good luck.

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by dcbeltran:
Damn, I swore it was only .8. I looked at a few of them but maybe it was the eibach springs that were more around that area. Anyways I'm very happy was IPD. I see that they raised there price again. I got mine for 180 around memorial day. Maybe you can get them to drop the price. Good luck.
Just an update, I got mine for $190.00

#21 ·
Well, the installation is done and completed. My mechanic had the time to do it today at the dealership while it was in for service. The car is so much better looking, my mechanic totally digs the look. Anyways, he charged me $150 for the install. And that included new strut mounts. Plus he saved me over $100 in the service bill as well. I love him! Now all I have to do is redo my HIDs and I'm set for now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.