SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Update: riding on 235/45/17s opinions

922 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mike_c70 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Well, I finally got the new tires installed. First impressions, doesn't look all that different. The wider 235s clear all the suspension components and I've also tried doing full look turns with no rubbing.

While driving, the ride is a little softer (since there is probably more contact area). However, one thing I'm having a problem with is that during high speed driving (aka 75-80mpg), while driving straight, the car seems to drift a little from side to side (I did the whole wheel alignment spiel). Could it be because the wider tires? I've never experienced anything like this, it's actually kinda freaking me out that I'm not driving very fast. This only happens during high speeds. I noticed this with my mom's car as well (I changed here tires the day before). Anyone have any idea what this might be or what might cause it? TIA.

#3 ·
are you sure it's not a combo of your tread vs the texture of the pavement?

i think that there is a protective film for new tires for shipping. you need a few miles to get that off so the new tires may seem a little squirrely. i would wait a little bit to see if it improves.

i remember that there was one instance where i got a set and i had to go thru an s turn and brake for a red light at the end. i just remember my car was under and oversteering at the same time. it wasn't necessarily hairy, but it felt like it was sliding just a little bit.

#4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mpeng168:
are you sure it's not a combo of your tread vs the texture of the pavement?

i think that there is a protective film for new tires for shipping. you need a few miles to get that off so the new tires may seem a little squirrely. i would wait a little bit to see if it improves.

i remember that there was one instance where i got a set and i had to go thru an s turn and brake for a red light at the end. i just remember my car was under and oversteering at the same time. it wasn't necessarily hairy, but it felt like it was sliding just a little bit.
That's the feeling I'm getting, like it's sliding a little bit. After driving it yesterday and today, I get the sense that it might be a little of the two that you mentioned, the film and the pavement. It drifts more on concrete pavement rather than asphalt. The ride is a little better now but still iffy. My take is the film though, I had the exact same experience with mom's car as well. We'll see in a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.