SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Autotech motor rods and pistons

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Kai 
#1 ·
I am looking into getting autotech motor rods and pistons, and I was wondering, how much is a decent price for some one to either rebore and sleeve the engine, or to put the new rods and pistons in a new engine?

I need to figure out which route to take. I can get a different block and crank for 1k. Is that a decent price?

Kai? Any help would be cool.

#2 ·
Ahh..posting under the C70 section, eh? Good way to catch my attention. BTW, read your story on VS, and saw the comment about Kai on VT, too.
I guess I'm taking that as a compliment...

Okay..back to the topic...I've not heard anyone with the T5 motor done any resleeve work...should be doable, not sure if it's worth the effort. Usually to resleeve the cylinders, you are looking around ~$1K could be a bit more depends on where you are....for example, it's probably a lot cheaper in Cali or TX where lots car nuts are doing that to their cars.

I'm not sure if it's really worth it, though. I haven't really done any work for the bottom end of my engine. Last time they polished the crank was just b/c they found some rust spot on it..wasn't really planning on doing anything besides the new rods and pistons.

If you are not looking to do any other work while you are at it and not including any other parts, $4.5K should be more than reasonable to disassemble the whole thing and put it back together. I really don't know what is a standard # of hrs this job is.

But assuming everything goes smoothly, no other damage is done to your engine..that's about right for just the labor alone. Don't know what is really a good rate since last time I got ripped off big time, and couldn't do anything about it since they've already started working on it.

I wouldn't know if it's going to save you that many labor hrs to put all the parts on a new engine and do it from scratch...assuming you want to reuse most of the parts from your current engine. But by doing it on another engine, you probably save 2~3 days from letting the car sits idle in the shop. In my case, it'd save those monkeys about 2~3 months from letting the car sits idle.

Just so you know, it is a good time now for you to decide if you want to do more work on your car or not. From this point on, there's really no return. It is also a chance for you to do all the engine work on your car in one shot....save a lot hassle and time. Don't be surprised after the parts and labor and everything else, that you are walking away with 7~8K less in your bank account for only a 'repair' job.

10K+ if you have other things you want them to do while you are at it.

Because two months down the road(if you are lucky), you might start to question yourself.."Was it worth it?"

That's just my take on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.