SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New IC and etc...

3K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  Kai 
#1 ·
Just got my intercooler this past weekend from Texas Automotive Performance. It was ordered through Carlos, he has been a great help contacting the guys over in Autotech in Sweden.
The IC is not exactly the best cosmetically pleasing, but it does meet to a good standard of craftsmanship and should do its job just fine. I'll take few pictures tonight...and few later with the new IC next to the old one.
It's a direct drop-in/bolt-on IC, not those hardcore front mount style. At this stage...I'm running outta money and patient to do some custom fitting for FMIC. Carlos S40 already benefit and instant 20 FWHP with his Autotech IC, so I'm sure this unit should be more than sufficient.

Beside the help I get from Rob at European Auto, Carlos has been very helpful in searching the right fuel rail that I need to mount my fuel pressure regulator. I'm just going to go out on the limb here and use the 97 850 Turbo's fuel rail and hopefully I should be able to put that Aeromotive FPR and get my leaning out problem resolved soon.

Seems as if my 98 C70 also has some sorta factory FPR, but very different from the Pre 98 models. The 98 does not have a fuel return line for me to hook up the FPR. We'll see how it goes...if for some reason this does not work out, I'll just somehow get a fuel rail custom made to work with the FPR.

Then again, I'm not even sure that's the cause of my car leaning out at high RPMs. Oh well....I'm already at the point of no return. Some ask me if all this effort is worth it, and I think it is...I've gone this far to call it the day when I realize if I get the fuel issue resolve I should be able to dial up more boost... But I think these two items should be my last upgrades. Just getting too old for this thing.

Just give me 360 FWHP, and I'll be happy.

See less See more
#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mrmandmman:
Yeah, the 850 turbo models have fuel return lines coming off of the rail.
Yeah..coming off the pressure regulator off the rail.

quote:

Originally posted by mrmandmman:
So the upgraded intercooler gave carlos 20 fwhp? Thats a pretty big gain, do you think it would give a chipped 850 the same gain?
I wouldn't be so surprised, FMICs on these Supras I've seen at the local shop give them a good 30 rwhp most of the time. Go do it after/while you rebuild your engine. Should have some more $$$ left since you are getting such a bargain on the job.

#6 ·
Yeah Kai, you don't have enough HP, maybe you should put in TWO I C's :p That's a huge gain at the wheels, from just one bolt on modification. Other than getting chipped, or a new turbo, i cant think of anything else that will give you that much hp. Maybe that should be one of the first mods, then...?

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by deleonl1:
Your intercooler sounds sweet...is it a direct replacement to the Volvo OEM IC? If it is, a lot of people with the 70 series might want to dump some money into a new IC.
Yes, it is a direct replacement..and I got it for a pretty good price, too. I believe it was somewhere around mid $800s. Definitely worth it if you are running some high boost and want to go the next step to get more power .
I'll keep you guys updated on how much more HP it would add.

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by towerymt:
You should have just got a big truck intercooler!
Or I can just buy whatever is out there and modify it for my car...sure, but the whole point is just to get something that's a direct bolt-on without all the hassles of custom fabrication. Can't emphasize enough that I just don't want to do any of these custom works anymore.

#12 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
Kai,
Make sure you turn down the boost before using the new IC else the engine might lean out even more...
Of course, then again...the car will be dyno tuned along with the FPR upgrade and IC installed.

Don't worry, I'm not one of those tards who just dial up the boost or make reckless mistake like that.

#13 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
Don't worry, I'm not one of those tards who just dial up the boost or make reckless mistake like that.
I didn't mean it that way but that you have to concider that the cooler air runs higher volume so with the same boost setting there will be more air and this is being overlooked very easy, not in a moron kind of way but more like "Oh shoot, missed that one"
I heard a story like that a few months ago with pretty experienced people putting a big IC in a rally 850 but it cost them 5 new rods.... (Not Cunningham rods
)

#14 ·
quote:

I didn't mean it that way...
Hehehe....I know, just playing with you.

quote:

I heard a story like that a few months ago with pretty experienced people putting a big IC in a rally 850 but it cost them 5 new rods.
Well, not surprised if the car was still running stock rods. So..what other crazy T5s have you heard that's out there, maybe can share some of those info with us here.

#15 ·
quote:

Originally posted by So..what other crazy T5s have you heard that's out there, maybe can share some of those info with us here.[/B]
The Flaming Red Bull is sold, to bad.
Marc (Topgun
) and Tom of the Dutch 850 club did some nice work on their yellow banana's but I guess you know about it.
There's not to much going on right now, I think I am getting lonely

I have big plans for my S60 but I can't find the time and if I do I run in to all kinds of stupid little problems like a broken air temp sensor wire, a leaking BOV, spoiler losing it's paint etc. etc.
I'm driving around with a box of Eibach springs in the trunk for a week already and the front Koni's are shelved at least one month now.
And then there's this huge IC sitting besides my desk......
Last Monday I received a chip with lower boost settings but it didn't solve the leaking problem, I checked the hoses and connections 10 times at the least so the BOV or the wastegate actuator are my last options.
It's a brand new 19T for crying out loud.

On VVSPY there was talk of a T5 converted S60AWD a while ago but I didn't hear anything eversince and now there's this guy MADMAN claiming he did a T6 swap in to an AWD........

Last Monday I drove a very nice laserblue repainted S60T5 GT with silver underbody panels like the PCC, very nice job with tinted windows and Titan colored 18" wheels.
The car did roughly 290-300 engine HP on the dyno.

I didn't see any car with the same conversions you did in my area.

Most of 'm have filter,DP, exhaust and chip but the 850 club has some nice looking cars under it's wings and the owners are real fanatics which makes it a lot of fun to visit their meetings.
Only thing is that I am just an outsider with new technology.

I think the nicest things going on right now are the cars of Snoogans, Gotball and the Monkey11 brakes.
I think to many people are waiting for the settled Volvo tuning names to come out with new stuff to much.
It's more like you also did with your car, look for the stuff which is available for turbo engine's and not for Volvo alone.
I can understand very well that people need help or guidance(?) for aftermarket Volvo stuff but a lot is about common sence, asking around like this thread and some trail and error.

Same is with the BOV, I didn't want to disable the standard BOV when I installed the Blitz because at that time I didn't want to change the factory setup to much but now, after doing a 19T exchange and all, it makes more sence to shut the thing down and use an aftermarket free to air type or a recirculating type.
Two BOV's with lower boost settings doesn't make sence.
If only Volvo made another construction for those stupid plastic hoses and the one from the IC to the TB in particular.

I received an Electromotive TEC3 for my Nissan a few weeks back and with it came a lot of sensors... A whole new world opens when you see stuff like that.
Gives me all new ideas for the Volvo

#16 ·
Yeah Johann, I couldn't agree with you more about those stupid plastic pipes! A metal one would make things a lot simpler. Then you wouldn't have to get one custom made to fit. The problem I run into is on higher boost, the metal pipe wants to come out! Maybe I'm doing it wrong...But yeah, 2 BOV's is 2 much. It's almost like they are working against each other. Plus, the free air BOV makes my car run rich anyway. I can smell it. It even backfired a few times (I don't think any flames came out, but the car behind me didnt follow too close. :p) But I haven't upgraded the turbo yet, so it probably makes more sense for you to have an aftermarket BOV than for me. PLus my BOV is wide open, because if I tighten it, it all goes out of the standard BOV, even though, it's not connected anymore....I think I'll just put the stupid plastic pipe back on...Sounds like you guys have fun over there. I wish we had a club like that around here...

#18 ·
quote:

I didn't see any car with the same conversions you did in my area.
I think to many people are waiting for the settled Volvo tuning names to come out with new stuff to much.
It's more like you also did with your car, look for the stuff which is available for turbo engine's and not for Volvo alone.
I hear you, many people are just so afraid of doing any work on a volvo, let alone a modifiied one. It's actually not that big of difference from any other turbo cars...same concept. It's just finer details like the tolerance of the engine and other components that throw people off.

I'm pretty pleased that we do see more and more Volvo enthusiasts nowadays, probably none of them has gotten anything too drastic, but sooner or later the trend will hopefully catches on...and we'll get to see more crazy powerful Volvos out there.

I understand what you mean by trial and error, it's like we are paying for our own R&D here...and I do appreciate the good feedback from the crowd, but almost a bit timid to share too much information sometimes. The reason is, there are good amount of people out there don't read through all the notes others posted...and they go out and do some half-ass job and come back with a screwed motor. Just don't want to be liable for things like that.

Like I said, I'm almost done with the project...after IC, FPR, FR and the rest of the fuel related issues...I'll just leave the car alone. I thought of doing TEC 3 back then for the C, but didn't want to go thru this whole T&E again...plus it seemed like the Dastek Unichip was good enough. Let us know how you like that on your Skyline.

Man...just give me ~360 FWHP, I'll be happy.

#20 ·
quote:

Originally posted by NJ850N/A:
Kai,
Thought you have reached that level already?
Fai d take some pics this weekend, I want to see.
Nope, like I said...if I can get 400 crank hp, I'd think I've reached that level.

Pic....hmmm...unless they haven't installed the IC by tomorrow; otherwise, I doubt I'll have a chance to take a pic of the IC itself.
Looks like another busy day ahead...

#21 ·
Oops, sorry guys..the shop has no one there that will take a snap shot of the ICs lined up next to each other. And I just can't drive 10 miles away from the office to take few pics when they got the old one out...seriously wish I had the luxury to do so b/c I'd like to see the physical differences btwn the two.
Then again, if it's a direct bolt-on, the size should be the same...only the appearence is not.......maybe if you really like to see the unit, I think Carlos has a pic on his website. My new IC looks just like his unit.
So...sorry again, guys.

#23 ·
quote:

What's Carlos' website?

Do you think there would be any problems in adding the new IC that you're using to a totally stock V70R?
I think his site is down, call him up then.

You should not have any problem mounting that IC on your R. There's no difference btwn the R and other 70 series...oops...I'd better make the more PC, or SOMEONE is going to jump in and go kazooie again.

I meant the IC on your car should be the same as mine. So, this will be a direct bolt-on.

#25 ·
quote:

Any danger to my engine?
On a stock V70R the sock IC has enough capacity up to 1.1-1.2 Bar boost.
Kai is running a larger turbo and the modified engine consumes to much air for the IC to handle within the correct temperature range.
You could change the IC plumbing to old style (93?) T5 which was a shorter circuit.
It makes the car a lot more responsive but it is not adviced when you live in area's where temperatures drop below minus 10 degree celcius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.