SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

There's no accounting for taste...

971 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ash 
#1 ·
Picked up a copy of 'Car' magazine (UK) the other day noticing that a C70 T5 was part of a group test together with a BMW 330Ci, the new Merc CLK 320 and a Renault Avantime . (If you haven't seen an Avantime, I'd recommend a trip to a Renault website).

Bloody Hell! The C70 didn't half take a pasting. I couldn't believe how much the reviewer disliked it. He placed it fourth (after the Renault!!!).

Apart from reluctantly admitting that the stereo was the best he'd ever heard in a car, he criticised the C70's looks, seats and interior??? Exactly the reasons I bought mine in fact.

He also gave the standard suspension and brakes a bit of a hard-time, which is fair enough I suppose. (I'm sure the brakes on the newer models are smaller than they used to be). The review model also suffered from excessive wind noise (not unknown) and I noticed that the aerial had already jammed. That usually takes at least one British winter.

Still, each to his/her own. You wouldn't get me in any of the others.

#4 ·
I have read that review, but, I also read a comparison review this year from Road & Track (or was It Car & Driver: same owners). The R&T comparison did have the BMW 3301 win, but the C70 came in a tie for second with the CLK430!!!!! (that's not the CLK320 but 430!!). Infact, have you seen the new CLK320 profile? It is now an exact copy of the c70 (the styling still kicks). I personally bought a 2002MY c70 HPT coupe because of the styling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.