SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

braking systems

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Faraaz23 
#1 ·
So i asked iPD why they stopped carrying the brembo cross drilled rotot sets, and they gave me a line about they've had bad experiences with excessive wear on those rotors, and as such they now only sell the powerslot rotors.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it true, or an exaggeration or what?

If it's not true, how much does a full brembo system run for, say, the fronts.. (rotors, calipers, lines, pads...)

Thanks guys..

#3 ·
He was talking about OEM rotor made by brembo then drilled and slotted later. That has nothing to do with what you are thinking of the big brake system from brembo, GShyneDM.

I know the other S60 guy did a brembo system and supposedly has the contact you can talk to about getting a big brake system. Brembo and AP are about the same, even though I would choose AP over brembo if price wasn't the issue.

But with this new brake system that Monkey11(?)did, maybe they now have a better kit than AP's.

#4 ·
OK...

So since $3000 for the Brembo big break kit is beyond my means...

Can anyone recommend smaller upgrades that'll give me enhanced braking? (like a good set of drilled rotors and good pair of pads?)

Or should I just save for the Brembo kit?

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by PrAzMaN:
OK...

So since $3000 for the Brembo big break kit is beyond my means...

Can anyone recommend smaller upgrades that'll give me enhanced braking? (like a good set of drilled rotors and good pair of pads?)

Or should I just save for the Brembo kit?

I had the older 4 pot AP system on my '97 V70T5 and I drove that car real hard.
The rotors didn't last for 10K miles.....
But they were real stoppers!
The stock S60T5 rotors lasted for20K miles and are very good also.

[This message has been edited by Johann (edited 08-14-2002).]

#6 ·
IPD discontinued the OEM size x-drilled rotors because they warpped too easily. Had them on my 854T for less than 10K miles and they warped like crazy. I then got a set of Tarox slotted rotors and pads from PES and they worked great (Kai, please tell us if the rotors are still ok
).

P.S. Just realized that my old site still works. Brought back so much memory
http://www.members.aol.com/tlui99/auto.html

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Terence:
(Kai, please tell us if the rotors are still ok
).
I think they are still pretty okay. Probably not in the best shape, but reasonble.
Mark has put down enough miles....forgot how far he's got, you can ask him yourself. He reads SS, too.

BTW, he did a 1/4 mile run with the 850, and I remember it wasn't at its best condition..little stuff here and there (enough to slw the car down a bit), he did at 14.3 something in a pretty humid hot summer day. Granted that was his first time on the track, I think that was pretty decent.

With few more tuning session or some secret add-on toys, I'm sure he can very well dip into mid 13s if not better. You should be very pleased....Mark takes really good care of the car.

Now if I can just line up the C w/ the 850, it'd be interesting to find out the result.

#9 ·
quote:

Originally posted by fhdt5r:
line up the C and the 850..... kai, i don't think you need that kind of emotional boost man, what I want to see is you lining up against an APR tuned S4, or an AA E36 M3 Turbo. THAT would be so cool to see.
That'll be interesting indeed. Kai tuned C70 against everyone else.....
Doubt I'd have a chance against AA M3, APR...hmm...long shot, but we'll see.

Maybe if they only give 3/4 of throttle, I should have a chance.

[This message has been edited by The_one_n_only (edited 08-15-2002).]

#10 ·
Will the breaks off the S80 go on the C70? I drove a loaner car S80 yesterday, and breaking was excellent. Maybe it's cuz my brakes may be older or something, but I was definetely impressed. I'd love some Brembo's, but I don't think Brembo's are gonna be in my budget in the near future....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.