SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Warranty and ECU upgrades

749 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jeffery47 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 C70 coupe with 8k on it. I am very interested in replacing the ECU. First, do you recommend one over others. i.e IPD, PES, TME(ipd?), wettenwhatever, etc? Second, how bad are the dealers when it comes to warranties on these things? Anyone have any thoughts.

#2 ·
A good responsible dealer's service dpt(oxymoron?) should be able to determine this issue...

Say if your car has some problems which can be traced back to the ECU and they can prove that the ECU is the cause of your problems, then they can say....whatever problems you have are not going to cover warranty. But they cannot outright just void your warranty b/c of that.

#3 ·
We did an article on upgrading an (out of warranty) 850R. It can be found here...
http://www.swedespeed.com/features/project_cars/854/part3.shtml

We covered this issue very lightly in that article. Basically, US law says that it is the responsibility of the company trying to rescind a warranty to prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the damage.

Further, we learned in our research that an estimated 300hp is about as high as you wanted to go on the R before you start stressing the motor to the point where you'd do damage. I don't know if that's the same on the newer HPT C70s or not, however you'll also want to properly care for the turbo and drive it accordingly (again, all covered in that article). Good luck in making your choice.

#4 ·
I would stick with the IPD ECU. It is expensive, but the new codes are flashed in, so the CPU is not opened, lessening the chance of damage/bad soldering, etc. Plus, IPD has been around a long time, with TME from Sweden, they have a long track record. Another place could go belly-up and you're outta luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.