SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

cpu upgrade/replace, chip

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GShyneDM 
#1 ·
I take it there is a fatty difference between a cpu upgrade or replacement, and installing a performance chip for my c70. That said, what is the difference; what is a good way to go( no under-hood upgrades yet, just suspension)? Just scraped up a grand and want squeeze out some juice with one of these upgrades. I see it's easy to order the part(s), but how do I go about getting it installed? I don't know how this all goes down. I live in San Diego so if you guys know any good volvo shops for this service, holla at me.

#3 ·
iPd has a GOOD ECU that is quality

it may not be the BEST performance..but you got a big company behind it.

they have a package with the ECU,Exhaust, K&N and some other things that is said to add 49 hp for about 1500

i want to get it.. but i dont have enough for it yet. as for getting it installed.. look up some certified volvo repair shops out there. NOT the dealer.. side repair shops that have their own. usually go to one with lots of volvo's on their lot cuz that shows expereince. and look for the ASE certification for quality service/help

i believe they can help you with the installation of what you want

#4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GShyneDM:
as for getting it installed.. look up some certified volvo repair shops out there. NOT the dealer.. side repair shops that have their own. usually go to one with lots of volvo's on their lot cuz that shows expereince. and look for the ASE certification for quality service/help

Why not the dealer??? Would you rather have some incompetent shady tree nincompoop butcher up your car? Many people can do the minimum they have to do and get ASE certified. Not everyone is up to being a Volvo Master Tech...

Yannis

#5 ·
AHHHH YES....

I just got my flash reprogrammed ECU from IPD. There are several differences between a "chip" upgrade and the ECU reprogramming. Not sure exactly what the chip does specifically... but the IPD deal changes engine limiting, fuel mix, turbo pressure, and i think some other things...

Also, this is completely and easily reversible, where as I don't think its possible or maybe just not as easy to undo with a chip.

Anyway, I just mailed my ECU away using (took it out using a tool they sent me) and it came back a day later... popped it in.. AND OH MY GOD

Theres so much new torque that my wheels light up in the top of first, and then AGAIN in the bottom of second. The 3 extra PSI of turbo are really noticeable... its like my c70 just woke up from some kind of beauty sleep.

The air filter is also easy to do.. and the exhaust from what I'm told by my ***** friends is simple for an experienced mechanic to do as it is just bolt on as opposed to welded. So I'm skipping the dealer and going to a performance honda mechanic that my friend trusts.

hope that helps....

ps - i have the 99 c70 HPT

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Why not the dealer??? Would you rather have some incompetent shady tree nincompoop butcher up your car? Many people can do the minimum they have to do and get ASE certified. Not everyone is up to being a Volvo Master Tech...

Yannis
you mean the dealer will install an upgraded ECU/Exhaust etc for you??? i know stock parts they will because of maintenance.. but as for upgrade parts i didnt think they did it. and a side place that works on volvo is the next best thing. *shrugs* correct me if i am wrong. if you are right.. when i get my ECU/Exhaust i'll have Volvo put it in for me so i can have a bigger company to hold liable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.