SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

supersprint vs ipd exhaust

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  HPTJoe 
#1 ·
As I continually search for ways to improve throttle response, speed off the line, turbo lag, and a 'fix' for my high altitude living, I am thinking of getting a new cat-back exhaust. (Plus, the new chip encourages me to drive harder ... the exhaust tip actually boiled water the other day when I washed my car after a 10 minute drive!)

So my question ... any experience or preference for the ipd vs. Supersprint exhausts?

#4 ·
If you don't mind a bit more noise, have a skillful exhaust shop build you one would be more cost effective. However, nowadays the supersprint system is going for very good prices. I would tend to think IPD one flows better compares to SS one since it does sound a bit louder than Supersprint.

ECU alone won't make that much difference, but with the help of a free flow catback, you should be able to notice something.

#6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
ECU alone won't make that much difference, but with the help of a free flow catback, you should be able to notice something.
Really? When I upgraded the ECU alone, I felt a HUGE difference. I have had the iPd exhaust for about a week now and I cannot tell any additional improvement. Perhaps a little bit at the top...

Yannis

#7 ·
quote:

Originally posted by The_one_n_only:
What Kai???? I just put in my new and improved IPD ECU this week and my car is a different beast completely. It is so much better and faster than before I should of done it when I first bought the car. Its absolutely incredible how the car has changed for the better.

Yannis the exhaust if you read the IPD catalog and talk to those guys its just supposed to prevent damage to the turbo after long periods of boost. With the exhaust you dont have to worry about turbo related issues. I am waiting for my exhaust too which was shipped Friday. So it will hopefully get installed this week.

#8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Really? When I upgraded the ECU alone, I felt a HUGE difference.
Hmm..maybe on those new ECUs of yours work differently than what I have, or I was just hard to please.

But I could really feel the car moving only when I got some exhaust system installed. When I just had the ECU upgrade from IPD after I break in the car, I only noticed the RPM went up faster and less lag. But the seat of pants feeling wasn't there until the exhaust system was on.

Maybe it was just more torquey with the exhaust combo? Or I'm just simply too spoiled with power.

I still remember the first time I got both toys on together. Man..the look on my friend's face and mine...priceless.

#10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Beemer_eater:
What Kai???? I just put in my new and improved IPD ECU this week and my car is a different beast completely. It is so much better and faster than before I should of done it when I first bought the car. Its absolutely incredible how the car has changed for the better.

Yannis the exhaust if you read the IPD catalog and talk to those guys its just supposed to prevent damage to the turbo after long periods of boost. With the exhaust you dont have to worry about turbo related issues. I am waiting for my exhaust too which was shipped Friday. So it will hopefully get installed this week.

Hehehe! Isn't it amazing??? Wait a few more days as you are finding more ways to wring power out of your "new" engine! I expected a difference but not that dramatic.

As far as the exhaust comment, I agree. In addition to that, people from both iPd and TME have told/e-mailed me that t does a bit of "oomph", close to 12HP and 10 to 12 in torque.

Yannis

#11 ·
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Hehehe! Isn't it amazing??? Wait a few more days as you are finding more ways to wring power out of your "new" engine! I expected a difference but not that dramatic.

As far as the exhaust comment, I agree. In addition to that, people from both iPd and TME have told/e-mailed me that t does a bit of "oomph", close to 12HP and 10 to 12 in torque.

Yannis

[/QUOTE]

Yannis I just got the exhaust in my car today. A full report in the future.....he he he he http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

#12 ·
Re: (Kai)

Quote, originally posted by Kai »
I would tend to think IPD one flows better compares to SS one since it does sound a bit louder than Supersprint.

Well there are two versions of the Supersprint exhaust for the C70: one with a resonator and a muffler, and one with just the muffler. Here is a pic of the kit without the muffler:

It looks pretty high-flow seeing as to how it only has one major form of restriction, the muffler at the end. Also, in the "Hot Rod C70" article featured on this site, the author mentions, "As I started to drive, I noticed the level of the SuperSprint exhaust noise to be quite a bit louder than the IPD one on my car. This is particularly true at full throttle, when the car really roars." Also, according to Rob, his SS exhaust (he has the version pictured above) is louder than others he has heard.

I personally have heard no exhaust systems on Volvos, as I am relatively new to the Volvo scene, and there are not too many modified Volvos in my area, so I have to go by what other people have said. Kai, which version of the SS exhaust system did you hear?

On the aesthetic side of things, I think the SS exhaust system looks the best on the C70 as the oval tip complements the sytling of the car nicely. The round-tipped systems look somewhat out of place and too aftermarket on the car, IMO.

#13 ·
Re: (HPTJoe)

Yeah, I think we all know about the single muffler system by SS, I should have mentioned many times by now on SS, too.

I was merely comparing the dual muffler system to the dual muffler IPD system, thought that would be a more fair comparison. Honestly, if you don't mind the noise and want the best bang for the bucks, I would say that custom one would outflow other ones and you can put whatever tip you want for the system.

As for Rob's comment......no comment.

If you want me to compare, I would say that my homebrew system with Blitz, Ultraflow, and no cat is still quieter than my cousin's 850 with Supersprint dual muffler + cat.

#14 ·
Re: (Kai)

Quote, originally posted by Kai »

If you want me to compare, I would say that my homebrew system with Blitz, Ultraflow, and no cat is still quieter than my cousin's 850 with Supersprint dual muffler + cat.

Damn...your car must be pretty quiet! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Kai, how did you get rid of your CEL coming on after going catless? 02 simulator?

Now how loud do you think my car would be with no cat and single muffler SS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.