View Full Version : Infiniti G35 Wins Again!

S.R.
06-27-2002, 11:04 PM
The August 2002 issue of Motor Trend has a comparison test between the BMW 330i, Cadillac CTS, and Infiniti G35.<P>Some of you folks may recall that the G35 won an 11 car comparo in the July issue of Road & Track.<P>The first time it was a close call, because the 330i was equipped with a manual transmission. Although, this time around the automatic G35 handily spanked the automatic 330i in every performance aspect, and it won overall.<P>Check it out:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~everblue/_mtg35/index.html" TARGET=_blank>Motor Trend: 330i vs. CTS. vs. G35</A></B><P>-Drew<p>[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 06-28-2002).]

Spearzy
06-27-2002, 11:14 PM
I heard the G35 effectively killed the Nissan Skyline which is ten times the car performance wise. But, we never had that here... its just sad that Nissan could do that to there flag ship car. However that technology may be what makes the G35 awesome in comparison to other cars.

Spearzy
06-28-2002, 12:09 AM
Hmm. Just read the article. Seems like a nice car. I wounder how it compares to the new S60?

Englebert
06-28-2002, 11:56 AM
The G35 is not as good as everyone is making it out to be. This G35 seems to be beating all the industry standards, but it is not itself an industry standard. I first test-drove the car when it was released and was not greatly impressed by it. After reading the Road and Track and then the Motor Trend article in which the G35 won the comparison challenges, I thought that perhaps I had missed something, so I decided to take the vehicle out for another test drive, which served to reconfirm my initial feeling regarding the G35. It is a good, competent sports sedan, but it does not have the measure on many of its competitors.<P>I have not driven all the sedans in the R&T comparison test, however I have driven the C-Class, 3-Series, the Saab 9-5, the Lexus IS 300, the Acura TL, the Audi A4 and I own an S60. Amongst these sedans alone, I would rank it second last behind the TL. <P>The G35 is a good sedan with a very powerful engine good handling, well contented and roomy. However itís hampered by an automatic transmission that does not allow for a smooth acceleration. When I asked the sales person why there was no manual, they gave me the excuse that Nissan is savings its transmissions for the G35 coupe and the 350Z. Iím not sure why they are limited in transmission production, but I guess thatís the party line.<P>The G35 has a jittery ride. When I asked the sales person about it, he told me that the car is firm because the wheel-base is longer than other sedans and thatís what makes sports car handle better. After restraining myself from telling him he was a fool, I told him that the BMW handled better and had a smoother ride. I then explained to him the difference between a jittery ride in which it feels like the car is not firmly planted and a taut, firm one. The European sedans combine a firm ride with a smooth one. I donít care what the price difference is, you cannot compare the BMWís ride with any other car out there, while its German compatriots are not that far behind. Although the Swedes donít handle as well as the Germans, they have a more luxury sports sedan feel to them. Even the IS 300 is closer to its German rivals in terms of driving dynamics than to G35. The G35 handles well, but it sacrifices any type of ride comfort for handling.<P>The car also feels cheaper than its rivals. Its analogous to how the Altima feels versus its competitor. How does Nissan/Infiniti sell well contents, high-horsepower vehicles for such a good price? It sacrifices some areas such as the quality of the materials. The interior is not up to the levels of its competitors, the doors and the sheet metal feel flimsy, the dual zone climate control is not intuitive to use and that radio controls looks cheap.<P>It is a good car, but it is not better than most of its rivals. <BR>

S.R.
06-28-2002, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spearzy:<BR><B>I heard the G35 effectively killed the Nissan Skyline which is ten times the car performance wise. But, we never had that here... its just sad that Nissan could do that to there flag ship car. However that technology may be what makes the G35 awesome in comparison to other cars.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Infiniti G35 is actually the new Nissan Skyline, same exact cars. It is called Skyline everywhere else, around the world. The Skyline name and GT-R name are now seperate, there will be no more Skyline GT-R. The next iteration of this car will most likely be called the Infiniti V35 GT-R/Nissan GT-R, with a 400hp VQ engine. This new car is likely to blow away the older R34 in every respect, so the tradition continues.<P>The only problem that people seemed to be worried about is the fact that the RB26DETT was insanely 'mod' friendly. I am not sure if the VQ35DETT will be able to measure up to 1,200HP standards.<P>-Drew

Spearzy
06-28-2002, 02:21 PM
Yeah that makes sense. I've have pictures of the new GT-R (not photoshopped, scanned from a Japanese magazine) and it looks different than the G35. The headlights are rectangular again, and I think the rear tail lights ramained circurler. <BR>I'm on my work computer so I don't have access to it, and I have't downsized my pics yet to fit on the free provider to store pictures to post...yet.