SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Fuel injector cleaner -- which is best/OK for 1800ES?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Phil Singher 
#1 ·
What's best to use to keep injectors clean? Any taboos?

Have heard good things about Ventil Sauber for intake valves.

Comments? Advice?

#2 ·
Re: Fuel injector cleaner -- which is best/OK for 1800ES? (RonG)

Premium fuel has injector cleaners in it already, and seems to work pretty well.

Besides that, I've been meaning to try Sea Foam. There are two ways to use it: First, you can put it through the fuel system by dumping it in the gas tank, to clean the pump, injectors, all the lines, and maybe even the tank itself; Second, you can suck it through a vacuum line and clean out the whole intake system. (This makes a HUGE cloud of smoke when you do it, apparently.)

I've heard only good things about Sea Foam when it's used properly, but I haven't found anybody who's tried it on a B20 engine.

Maybe you or I will be the first?

#3 ·
Re: Fuel injector cleaner -- which is best/OK for 1800ES? (asthenia)

A B20 with clean injectors will thrive on 92+ octane and clean fuel filters.

Any fuel additive should not be allowed to sit idle in the tank/lines for long periods. Be sure the air/fuel adjustments are correct to prevent raw fuel from sneaking past the rings/seats/seals and diluting the engine oil.

George Dill

#4 ·
Re: Fuel injector cleaner -- which is best/OK for 1800ES? (asthenia)

Hadn't heard of Sea Foam.

I used a bottle of Chemtool in the gas tank. Everything is running smoothly, so I don't think I'll try anything drastic for now.

Thanks.

If you do the Sea Foam thing, let me know the results.

#5 ·
Re: Fuel injector cleaner -- which is best/OK for 1800ES? (gdill2)

George, I was under the impression that I would be fine with low octane fuel, with the low 8.5:1 compression engine. I don't have any pinging.

Is there more to this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.