SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps..

8K views 97 replies 19 participants last post by  Sasso C70 Canada 
#1 ·

*Copied from bottom of the thread*
Alright, I'll do my best to sum this up. I will update on this whenever I find more answers:

To add MY2003 headlamps to our 98-00 S/V/C70s we will need to:

1. purchase 2003 housings
- approx cost is: $ 230~240.00 each
- correct part numbers are [xxxxxx] .....will update this one later
- recommended dealer/vendor is: Borton, Dennis is on vacation, when he gets back I will find out if he can source the ECE one which has H7 bulbs. The guy really has his ways around ordering European spec volvo parts at discount prices.

2. purchase H11 bulbs, approx cost is: NONE, it comes with the housing already, unless you want to purchase aftermarket ones.

3. ?? change the 98-00 plug to connect to new bulbs ??
So far I can't see why you would, but I can confirm this if anyone is willing to meet up with me and compare the housings. I don't even know where my old plugs are after I change to HIDs.

4. ?? purchase 2003 corner lenses to complete the look ??
Could be done, but at this point I'm after the projector project. And I think even without the '03 clear corners would be fine...something like E36 with ECE corners look if you keep the old corners.

5. ?? going HID with these lenses is still up in the air ??
As mentioned, at this point, I'll wait for HIDs4Less' Mike's feedback once he gets the housing. If we are looking more than reasonable $$$ to do the conversion for projectors I'll ask them to just simply make H11 base HID bulbs for me to use with my current K2 kit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (The_one_n_only)

quote:

I wonder if that's the whole housing that is different or just the lense.. http://********************/smile/emcrook.gif
Kai,

The whole housing is going to be different because when they "Jewel" the headlights, they have to change the optics of the reflector so that the light going out of the clear lens is just right as it hits the road. In your car, the lens acts as an additional optic device, not just the reflector inside the housing. In this case, the reflector inside the housing isn't proper until it goes through the lens.

IMHO, performance wise, you might not be able to beat your E-Code setup, but looks are a different story.

-Drew

#3 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (Drew@Swedespeed)

quote:

The whole housing is going to be different because when they "Jewel" the headlights, they have to change the optics of the reflector so that the light going out of the clear lens is just right as it hits the road. IMHO, performance wise, you might not be able to beat your E-Code setup, but looks are a different story.
Yeah, that's what I thought. B/c I've noticed that on some of the newer cars with that jewel effect and the clearn lenses(like my truck). They aren't as bright as you would expect. I guess the lenses do make some magic. I guess unless we are talking about clear lenses with projector type headlights like the Audi and BMWs.

Hmmm....even though it might not be as bright as the e-code + HID setup, but it sure looks a lot 'cleaner' and quite a big difference IMO.

#4 ·

I agree, very clean, I hope they don't try anything like that on the tails though, the minute volvo jumps on that bandwagon they stoop to a lower level, hopefully they never will. As nice as the lexus is300 looks with the clear tail lenses, it's too common here in SoCal.

#10 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (BenES)

Today I saw a C70 Collection at a dealer in the area.
I didn't look at it up close but I can check coming weekend to see if there are any real changes.
The Collection is the last C70 production model.
The engine is up to V70/S60 standards now with the variable cam and is using the same motronic as the P2X cars so there might be a chance that the internal bodywork has changed a bit also.

#12 ·

Double post...

I finally got to check out the 2003 changes. It's sweet!!! The clear headlamp is very nice and the back lamps are more jewel-like. However, I would seriously invest in some Xpel protective mask for the headlights if I were to switch. The back imo is not worth the change. The corner lamps are a little different too.

Retro-fitting the '03 to our cars should be plug and play, however, the whole housing has to be changed instead of just the lens. They have a new glare shield in there as well (naturally). All in all it looks good. I have to see the beam pattern on a wall or road to convince me to make the switch. I'm sticking with my E-codes.

#13 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (mike_c70)

quote:

Double post...

I finally got to check out the 2003 changes. It's sweet!!! The clear headlamp is very nice and the back lamps are more jewel-like. However, I would seriously invest in some Xpel protective mask for the headlights if I were to switch. The back imo is not worth the change. The corner lamps are a little different too.

Retro-fitting the '03 to our cars should be plug and play, however, the whole housing has to be changed instead of just the lens. They have a new glare shield in there as well (naturally). All in all it looks good. I have to see the beam pattern on a wall or road to convince me to make the switch. I'm sticking with my E-codes.
so your ecodes are installed? how do they look???

btw... how did you see the changes? they have the new c70s in the US??

#14 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (GShyneDM)

I had my E-codes installed for quite some time now. I had to get a new HID kit since the last one was shot (from the accident). The ecodes look good. They have a sharp cutoff as well as the angled light. It's kinda like the MB C-coupe (I'm comparing it to it since my gf's brother has one).

I went to Westside Volvo to get some parts (see the little bulb thread) and I asked them if they had one. One salesperson said that they just received one today and it was out in the back. I asked to check it out. The car was covered with plastic, even the brakes were still wrapped up. The car sure looked nice. But given the road conditions in LA, especially with all those gravel trucks on the freeway, I'd be scared out of my mind trying to keep those lenses clean.

#17 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (Johann)

No Johann,

The guy replaced his lights, and he also put Xenons in the lights,
very nice C70 with 18" Nebula wheels and a good lowering http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

http://www.vvspy.com/resources/photoalbum/show.php?id=2547&type=

"radiusr6
posted Oct 15 23:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Xenon lights on my -98 C70,
I also have the new clear headlights and taillights. The Xenon lights comes from the new Audi A4 but were quite easy to mount in
the new headlights.
I`ll put in some pictures tomorrow to see what you think of my car

Johan "

#19 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (BenES)

Speaking of which....I need to ask George to post these picture of this 2003 C70 Conv. we saw today at Yanni's dealership.

Man, that thing is SWEEEETT! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Just like everything you expect from what we have discussed and better. It will fit right on our C70 and any other 70 series (excluding new V70 of course). And that car happened to have this awesome metallic gray color. Yannis can probably tell us the paint code on that.

That thing was just sexy looking. They have this new 17 inch wheels now, too. I'm not sure if I'm too crazy about this Canisto replacement wheel.

But for those who have $500+ to spare for a new set of headlamp, that is the way to go. Very very clean looking. IMHO, they look better than those in the S/V40, which has the similar look.

#20 ·

quote:

And that car happened to have this awesome metallic gray color. Yannis can probably tell us the paint code on that.
The color is called Titanium Grey Metallic and the paint code is 455 .

quote:

That thing was just sexy looking. They have this new 17 inch wheels now, too. I'm not sure if I'm too crazy about this Canisto replacement wheel.
I know...this is the first time in years that the same exact response has been uttered by many customers (and us, alike) when they saw this convertible. I have also ordered quite a few S60s/V70s and a few S80s in the Titanium Gret Metallic.

Yannis

#22 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (mike_c70)

Yeah, I would imagine it would have more glare as you would see from the guys with Civics that converted to HID. It would probably have the same effect, and I'm pretty sure these lenses probably won't shine as concentrated beam as what we have now with E-code lenses. But they will certainly look a lot flashier than what we have now.

#25 ·
Re: MY-2003 Convt. Headlamps.. (George@Swedespeed)

I was wondering about the " Clear Headlights "

Are they plastic?

If plastic, will they stand up well to flying debris like pebbles, sand, etc
during high speeds compared to the original glass lenses?

Do they tend to look scratched and clouded after a few years?

Will the wipers scratch them if debris is trapped during use?

Call me mr. paranoid!!!!

If these are strong possibilities I wouldn't upgrade. The glass is doing well.

TY

rd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.