SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Airbag's

726 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SG 
#1 ·
I've heard that a badly connected car phone could, when answered possibly set of the airbag due to the electric pulses or something ?!?!

I'm looking to mount a DVD player in the glove compartment and am concerned that this may have the same effect.

If so, what precautions should I take?

#2 ·
Re: Airbag's (topless_tart)

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Cars (like any product containing electronics) are rigorously tested to make sure that:

a) They don't radiate or conduct any emissions which could cause other equipment to malfunction; and
b) They are not themselves susceptible to emissions conducted or radiated by other equipment.

I don't know the specifics but a safety critical system like an airbag should be physically and logically shielded against electrical glitches. As an additional safeguard the airbag detonator will likely require a very specific energy profile to fire and it's highly improbable that this could be produced by a mobile phone.

As regards the DVD player, well it isn't designed to radiate (unlike a phone) and it's probably in an earthed metal enclosure anyway. The manufacturer of the DVD player would have quite a bit of explaining to do if it turned out that its in-car DVD player wasn't suitable for in-car installation. For complete peace of mind though, I'd get it installed by a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.