View Full Version : Voice Control Not Available

TeknoRedneck
08-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Howdy folks! Thought I'd share a little issue that we're seeing in our '18 Inscription T6. My wife noticed that the Navigation was no longer "talking" when she used it. Of course, at first I just thought that somehow the volume on the voice prompts had gotten turned all of the way down or something, but when I drove it I noticed that when I pressed the voice button on the steering wheel, the dash would then display "Voice Control Not Available" (or maybe Voice Command...heck, you get the drift). Anyway, we scheduled a visit to our dealer and it's been there for three days now. They say that when they try to update the voice software, that it's not taking it and that they've reached out to Volvo but aren't getting anywhere fast. They said something about trying multiple USB sticks, so I just assume that they're talking about doing the update that you can download yourself from the Volvo website. The service advisor I spoke to today said that they also had another owner bring theirs in for the same thing, so maybe this is real "thing"? Just an FYI right now... I'll update the post whenever we get a resolution.

Seti
08-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Howdy folks! Thought I'd share a little issue that we're seeing in our '18 Inscription T6. My wife noticed that the Navigation was no longer "talking" when she used it. Of course, at first I just thought that somehow the volume on the voice prompts had gotten turned all of the way down or something, but when I drove it I noticed that when I pressed the voice button on the steering wheel, the dash would then display "Voice Control Not Available" (or maybe Voice Command...heck, you get the drift). Anyway, we scheduled a visit to our dealer and it's been there for three days now. They say that when they try to update the voice software, that it's not taking it and that they've reached out to Volvo but aren't getting anywhere fast. They said something about trying multiple USB sticks, so I just assume that they're talking about doing the update that you can download yourself from the Volvo website. The service advisor I spoke to today said that they also had another owner bring theirs in for the same thing, so maybe this is real "thing"? Just an FYI right now... I'll update the post whenever we get a resolution.I got the same issue a couple months ago, but I wasn't sure what the cause was or if it was caused by my updating the map to the latest version.

So, I decided then to download the voice update and reinstall it myself. The voice file seems bigger than the map itself and took much longer than I've ever seen my car load an updated map.

But as soon as it was done, voice returned.

PS. The first time I tried uploading the updated voice software, it didn't work because I left the USB in the car to do it and it somehow timed out. But the second and successful time, I did it while I was driving somewhere on a longish trip, and because Sensus remained up througholut and didn't switch off as before, it was able to upload the updated voice without timing out.

You may need to do the same

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TeknoRedneck
08-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Well, it's in the shop now so we'll see what they end up doing. I think they're trying to do that very thing, but they're saying that it's not installing when they put in the USB.

frontgear
08-08-2018, 06:32 PM
PS. The first time I tried uploading the updated voice software, it didn't work because I left the USB in the car to do it and it somehow timed out. But the second and successful time, I did it while I was driving somewhere on a longish trip, and because Sensus remained up througholut and didn't switch off as before, it was able to upload the updated voice without timing out.
I had to do it twice to get it updated successfully and, like you said, it took a long, long, long time. It's one of the more picky updates on Sensus.

I would remove everything that is connected to both of those USB ports, and only use the one on the left to update the voice control file. That's my experience after the 2nd time trying to update the file.

TeknoRedneck
08-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Well, it's a week now and they still haven't fixed it. Look, this isn't just a "it takes a long time"-type thing. When you insert the USB with the update into the vehicle, it literally does nothing. You could leave it there for five years...it's just going to sit there. There is no prompt to start an update, no message saying it's available...nothing. Before I took it in, I factory reset the thing to see if it would work, but it made no difference. The dealer says that one of their own loaners has a similar issue and that they cannot get Volvo support to really help them much at all. If it was me, I think I'd just try to do a total Sensus update if that's possible, but I don't think they've tried that. In any case, there is no other issue with the vehicle...just no voice function will work (that includes not only voice control but all voice prompts...so no navigation prompts or alerts either). My wife is beyond frustrated and I can't really blame her. For an almost 80k vehicle we should expect more...

TeknoRedneck
08-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Rapidly approaching one full month and they have no fix for this. The dealership supposedly has another of their own vehicles with the same issue and they can't seem to fix it either. My patience is running thin on this thing...this is ><70k vehicle and this should work. I don't have this type of issue in my nerdy, ugly, unreliable Chevy Volt.

SkiXC90
11-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Did the dealer get your voice commands to work?

We went to pick put our new XC90 from the dealer and the voice commands were not working at all. After an hour of fussing with settings the sales guy gave us a loaner and is having service do a software update. I hope this is not a recurring theme!