SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

air suspension; jumpy castle, bottoming out

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  fvultee 
#1 ·
All - stepping on a plane so no time to search. Wife out driving, reports the following:

1) 2016 XC90 55k miles, air suspension, feels like driving a jumpy castle, car has almost a phugoid motion when driving on smooth/straight roads.

2) car feels like it bottoms out when driving over even the smallest bump.

Anyone experienced anything like this? She intends to drop at the dealer tomorrow but they indicate may take several days to look at.

Best, Jamie

#2 ·
Lack of compression and rebound control with bottoming out is almost always symptomatic of a bag that has either failed or a shock that either failed or is not receiving signal to set itself at the right dampening level.

A mechanically failed shock is easy to diagnose. They’ll be shock oil on the body. A bag is no different - the PSI won’t hold steady or within limits.
If it is an electronic failure, they’ll be able diagnosis by running a scan and probably running the suspension through a dynamic test mode - almost every car with a dynamic suspension and airbags has one baked into the dealer level diagnostic and accessible via the factory technical diagnostic controls.

I have seen this done on Mercedes with air suspensions. It’s quite cool to watch in person. The car dances around on its wheels as each of the corners inflates / deflates, then laterally and diagonally.

Honestly the diagnosis should not take more than half a day.

#10 ·
LOL, another reason I buy these cars CPO. Volvo is going to eat a lot of repairs if this is their version of quality.

#11 ·
Had my 2017 XC90 with air suspension for a few months now. Cold snap a few days ago (8 degrees F), got to the car and the rear end never lifted up as usual after start, also a strange pump sound from the rear for 5 or so seconds. Tried a few different drive settings, none of them would adjust the suspension. Also had the suspension lowering icon on the display during the drive. Front suspension was normal. Drove for a bit, would bottom out on big bumps. Shut down, started up a few hours later, all normal again. Sign of things to come... ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.