SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Drove a new C70 today.....

3K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  VolvoMax 
#1 ·
Has alot of tuning potential....it needs it.

Impressions, very small and not quick at all. It was a auto btw. The styling is actually very cool if you can get used to all the lines on the car. It has great looks with the right color/wheels and options.

I cannot believe there is no MP3 option at all, wtf, it's almost 2007 and Volvo still cannot get this right!

I played with the top and compared to my M3 cab it was very quite. There is no trunk. The backseat is in name only. I would be interested if they made a R model from a weekend car perspective.

Modified by ForceReconTrojan at 8:47 PM 5-10-2006

#2 ·
Re: Drove a new C70 today..... (ForceReconTrojan)

Quote, originally posted by ForceReconTrojan »

I cannot believe there is no MP3 option at all, wtf, it's almost 2007 and Volvo still cannot get this right!

Starting with production in October 2006, that will be solved.

Quote »
The backseat is in name only.

Really? How tall are you? I am 6'0" and I fit nicely behind a driver who was 5'11''. I rode there for 20 minutes and I did not feel constrained.

Yannis

#3 ·
Sounds nice, but yeah that lack of power would just piss me off. I could never go from a 5 speed HPT C70 to a new C70. Unless you were to drop a tuned R engin in there.
. I love the interior space, it's huge. I'm 5'10" and have had to endure 30+ minute trips in the back seat of a Porsche 911 and a Bentley Continental GT on several occasions. The C70's back was like 1st class baby.

#5 ·
Re: (Bradley W)

Quote, originally posted by Bradley W »
As far as the engine... in '08 or '09 won't we see additional options?
It really needs more power. Putting an S40/V50 powerplant in a 3,700 lb car is a recipe for mediocrity. In my opinion, it needs an R powerplant to be even marginally competitive with the upcomming 335ci.

#6 ·
Re: (avolvofan)

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »

It really needs more power. Putting an S40/V50 powerplant in a 3,700 lb car is a recipe for mediocrity. In my opinion, it needs an R powerplant to be even marginally competitive with the upcomming 335ci.

Although I do not necessarily disagree with you,what you (and many others here) fail to realize is that this car is not intended to compete on performance. You may reply by "fine, I and many others who are performance-minded individuals will not even consider buying this car". And that will be fine, by Volvo, too!

The target group for this model consists of people who are doing well in life, appreciate freedom of movement and (above everything else) style.

This car offers all that. It is also a car that will not struggle to get out of its own way and most people,care about that and nothing else.

If you want a convertible that will have the personality of a thoroughbred ready to race (and you have the money), then you should consider something like an S4, CLK500, BMW 335ci, or even the SL55 or the AMG version of the SLK.

The C70 never intended to be a car that would wow people with a scorching performance; it is all about style, elegance and safety.

Yannis

#7 ·
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
Although I do not necessarily disagree with you,what you (and many others here) fail to realize is that this car is not intended to compete on performance. You may reply by "fine, I and many others who are performance-minded individuals will not even consider buying this car". And that will be fine, by Volvo, too! [Emphasis added.]
It may be fine by Volvo, but I am still wondering how Volvo is going to make the sales increases that they are counting on with that type of mentality. Exchanging one buyer for another is not going to result in a sales increase. I am not asking for scorching performance; just something that is better than the low end of acceptable. At every point in Volvo's model line there is an "entry-level" of performance and then there is a higher level of performance. What makes the C70 so special that it is immune from the reality of its sedentary performance?

The target group for this model consists of people who are doing well in life, appreciate freedom of movement and (above everything else) style.
I wonder how many of the members of the group that are doing well in life, appreciate freedom of movement and (above all else) appreciate style have the Volvo C70 on their list of cars to look at? Typically, the list includes Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus.

This car offers all that. It is also a car that will not struggle to get out of its own way and most people,care about that and nothing else.
I guess only time will tell on that perception.

If you want a convertible that will have the personality of a thoroughbred ready to race (and you have the money), then you should consider something like an S4, CLK500, BMW 335ci, or even the SL55 or the AMG version of the SLK.
Trust me, I am researching everything I can get my hands on about the 335ci. My point is that Volvo is at risk of losing a loyal customer (10 cars since 1995) because they seem to have come to the conclusion that they can foist mediocrity on me, and if I don't accept their view of the world, there are plenty more buyers that are willing to replace me. They (Volvo) may be right; but somehow, I tend to doubt it.

The C70 never intended to be a car that would wow people with a scorching performance; it is all about style, elegance and safety.
Fair enough (about the C70 being about style, elegance and safety). But if Volvo intends to make the sales increases they are forecasting for the C70, how are they going to take sales away from competitors if the competitors are also offering style, elegance and safety (and higher performance levels in the bargain)?

#8 ·

In Sweden, if you order a C70 now. You will get it in march< 07. Proof that it's a great car and that it doesn't need a bigger engine to sell it. I think the new "small" T5 engine and the 6MT fits the car perfect! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »
In Sweden, if you order a C70 now. You will get it in march< 07. Proof that it's a great car and that it doesn't need a bigger engine to sell it. I think the new "small" T5 engine and the 6MT fits the car perfect! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
How does a March 2007 delivery date prove that the C70 doesn't need a bigger engine to sell? I never said it wouldn't sell.... Just not enough to make the sales goals. If the factory is producing only 10 cars a month and 100 orders have been placed by the time your order gets placed, you are looking at a 10 month lead time. But if Volvo is looking at an annual sales goal of 12,000 units (which seems to be an increase from ~8,000 in 2005), how do they rationalize the 50% increase? Replacing one buyer with another doesn't usually get you to a 50% sales increase (unless the replacement buyer is going to buy two cars where the replaced buyer was only going to buy one car...).

#10 ·

Oh, please, abimmerfan... You are not the only one who knows about the upcoming BMW hardtop. I believe most of the guys here know no less than you do. You don't need to advocate that car in almost every thread. Forget about the C70R or whatever. Well, even if there would be a more powerful C70, I don't think that you would ever consider about it--- comparing with your beloved BMW.

#11 ·

how do they rationalize the 50% increase?

No problem to sell 50% more than the old one. Wait and see. And to you who think it need a bigger engine. Have you tried a C70 T5 6MT? And are you going to buy the new C70 if it's avalable with a more powerful engine? Or are you whining about something you will never buy? (can't afford?)

#12 ·
Re: (yellow)

Quote, originally posted by yellow »
Oh, please, abimmerfan... You are not the only one who knows about the upcoming BMW hardtop. I believe most of the guys here know no less than you do. You don't need to advocate that car in almost every thread. Forget about the C70R or whatever. Well, even if there would be a more powerful C70, I don't think that you would ever consider about it--- comparing with your beloved BMW.

My, my.... Did I touch a raw nerve?

For what it is worth, one of the 10 Volvos that I have owned was a 2000 HPT C70 Coupe. I sold it when I got my 2003 Corvette Coupe. I happen to like performance along with the other features (including safety) of a car. I also presently own a 2005 S60R and an 2006 XC90V8. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there are competitors to Volvo out there that have some really great products. Are you suggesting that I should be grateful for whatever Volvo produces?

#13 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »
No problem to sell 50% more than the old one. Wait and see. And to you who think it need a bigger engine. Have you tried a C70 T5 6MT? And are you going to buy the new C70 if it's avalable with a more powerful engine? Or are you whining about something you will never buy? (can't afford?)
Oh, I think I can afford a C70. But whether I would buy it in its present incarnation is another matter entirely. My prior C70 could run away and hide from the current C70. (And its turning circle was something like 33 feet - less than the present S40/V50....)

#14 ·

Fact is, outright performance is pretty low on most car buyers agendas.

Look at all the Toyota Camry's on the road today.
Or Lexus ES300's.

Keep in mind that the people who inhabit this board are enthusiasts and see things thru enthusiasts eyes.
The C70 is not a slow car, its real world performance will make those people who opt for one quite happy.
The C70 may not be the right car for an enthusiast, but there are plenty of people out there that it would be right for. More than enough for Volvo to meet their very modest sales goals.

#15 ·
Re: (VolvoMax)

Max... Maybe I can put it in context: would you trade your S60R for the current iteration of the C70? You previously owned a 2002 C70 (albeit with the bloated turning circle - if memory serves, 2000 was the last year for the tight turning circle in the C70); you can reflect on the differences between the two cars from personal experience. Volvo may in fact be able to meet their 50% increase in sales from the 2005 level. Based on what is on the way from competitors, it is going to require some very hard work. And the competitors are offering features that Volvo chose not to.

#16 ·

Max... Maybe I can put it in context: would you trade your S60R for the current iteration of the C70? You previously owned a 2002 C70 (albeit with the bloated turning circle - if memory serves, 2000 was the last year for the tight turning circle in the C70); you can reflect on the differences between the two cars from personal experience. Volvo may in fact be able to meet their 50% increase in sales from the 2005 level. Based on what is on the way from competitors, it is going to require some very hard work. And the competitors are offering features that Volvo chose not to.

I do not think you are asking Max a fair question. Most of the people who are going to buy the new C70 will not be previous and/or current Volvo owners. This car is aimed strictly at conquest sales.

Yannis

#17 ·

It may be fine by Volvo, but I am still wondering how Volvo is going to make the sales increases that they are counting on with that type of mentality. Exchanging one buyer for another is not going to result in a sales increase. I am not asking for scorching performance; just something that is better than the low end of acceptable. At every point in Volvo's model line there is an "entry-level" of performance and then there is a higher level of performance. What makes the C70 so special that it is immune from the reality of its sedentary performance?

If Volvo relied upon cars like the C70 as part of their overall strategy to increases U.S. sales, then we would be in trouble. The C70 will be a drop in the bucket. Cars like the new S80, the new V70 and XC70, the XC50 and, potentially, a minivan are what will take Volvo to the next level. Not the R and not the C70...

Quote »
I wonder how many of the members of the group that are doing well in life, appreciate freedom of movement and (above all else) appreciate style have the Volvo C70 on their list of cars to look at? Typically, the list includes Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus.

More than you can imagine.

Quote »
Trust me, I am researching everything I can get my hands on about the 335ci. My point is that Volvo is at risk of losing a loyal customer (10 cars since 1995) because they seem to have come to the conclusion that they can foist mediocrity on me, and if I don't accept their view of the world, there are plenty more buyers that are willing to replace me. They (Volvo) may be right; but somehow, I tend to doubt it.

You are the exception rather than the rule.

Quote »
Fair enough (about the C70 being about style, elegance and safety). But if Volvo intends to make the sales increases they are forecasting for the C70, how are they going to take sales away from competitors if the competitors are also offering style, elegance and safety (and higher performance levels in the bargain)?

Again, if performance was strictly the criteria in people's buying decisions, we would not be selling the S60s as the BMW 330, Acura TL and Lexus IS350 outperform most S60s (at least on paper).

That is not the case and that will NOT be the case on the C70. It will not be a record breaker (like the XC90 was, in its launch) but it will do fine.

Yannis

#18 ·

I have to agree with Yannis, certainly the Audi and Lexus customers...

I know that Lexus sees these brands as the serious competitors: BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Volvo.

#19 ·

would you trade your S60R for the current iteration of the C70?

Two totally different cars.....

I had a 2003 C70 convertible before. Not stock, about 280hp. And I think the new T5 fits the car better. The "big" T5 is like: nothing, nothing, nothing...EVERYTHING and wheelspin(and don't forget the tourqe steer). The new "small" T5 is fast (0-100 in easily 7.4s, I know, trust me. With 6MT) More power in lower rpm but still nice 'punch' at high rpm. Try a 6MT C70 T5 before you say anything else.

Here I am. You know, a fully loaded C70 T5 (like my car) costs $70k in Sweden (where I live). I've looked at BMW, Lexus, MB and Audi but I prefer Volvo! Just like my next car (2007 XC90 V8 Executive). I could choose Lexus RX, MB ML, Audi Q7 or BMW X5 instead, but for me, Volvo is nr1.

#20 ·

As an enthusiast, I am not the person the C70 is aimed at.

As a seller of cars, I realize that not everyone IS an entusiast. Most aren't.

#21 ·

I do not think you are asking Max a fair question. Most of the people who are going to buy the new C70 will not be previous and/or current Volvo owners. This car is aimed strictly at conquest sales.

Yannis

Agreed.
Only a couple of our deposits are from existing Volvo owners.

#22 ·
Re: (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »

Agreed.
Only a couple of our deposits are from existing Volvo owners.

Same here. Only TWO deposits from current Volvo owners. The other 19 own other brands.

#23 ·

It will not be a record breaker (like the XC90 was, in its launch) but it will do fine.
I wonder what the outcome (in terms of sales numbers) would have been if things had been done slightly differently - higher output engine, volume production sooner to take advantage of the market opportunity before the competition ramped up and say for effect, a smaller turning circle. Might have been able to beat sales records like the XC90 in its launch. But then again, we will never know, will we?

#24 ·

I wonder what the outcome (in terms of sales numbers) would have been if things had been done slightly differently - higher output engine, volume production sooner to take advantage of the market opportunity before the competition ramped up and say for effect, a smaller turning circle. Might have been able to beat sales records like the XC90 in its launch. But then again, we will never know, will we?

Perhaps. But would you be here, screaming, why this car is priced in the low $50Ks?

Yannis

#25 ·

Perhaps. But would you be here, screaming, why this car is priced in the low $50Ks?
We will never know, will we?

I will make one further comment - I wouldn't even blink over paying $58 large for an E46 M3. But that is a subject that is off topic.

#26 ·

I will make one further comment - I wouldn't even blink over paying $58 large for an E46 M3. But that is a subject that is off topic.

I would not either. But I would also not own a C70 anyway...
Not MY type of car!

Yannis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.