View Full Version : CPO coverage question

KHarper
02-17-2020, 08:53 PM
On my CPO 2016 S60 Inscription, when I bought the car, the start/stop wasn't working. I suspect the battery, as previously on a 2015.5 S60, I had a similar issue and the battery finally failed just at the end of my 4-year Safe and Secure contract, and I got a new battery. The battery in the CPO car tests out as okay, but start/stop still not working. The dealer has agreed to fix this problem as part of my purchase deal (documented in writing at time of purchase); but for future reference: is a battery covered by CPO (probably not); and if the battery proves NOT to be the problem, would that qualify theoretically as a covered electrical repair anyway?

GrecianVolvo
02-22-2020, 09:10 PM
On my CPO 2016 S60 Inscription, when I bought the car, the start/stop wasn't working. I suspect the battery, as previously on a 2015.5 S60, I had a similar issue and the battery finally failed just at the end of my 4-year Safe and Secure contract, and I got a new battery. The battery in the CPO car tests out as okay, but start/stop still not working. The dealer has agreed to fix this problem as part of my purchase deal (documented in writing at time of purchase); but for future reference: is a battery covered by CPO (probably not); and if the battery proves NOT to be the problem, would that qualify theoretically as a covered electrical repair anyway?

The battery will be tested and covered on a pro-rated basis. If the battery is not the issue, most electrical repairs will be covered under the Certified by Volvo warranty but it's hard to tell for sure unless we know that the root of the problem is.

Yuro
03-14-2020, 03:52 PM

KHarper:

Stop-Start...
After doing some reading on this forum, I'm of the opinion that the stop-start not stopping is a very common issue/complaint with these cars. My car has, since the beginning of my ownership of it in Fall of 2016, stop/started a lot when I got it back from service, then progressively stopped less as I put miles on. I think they reset everything at the dealer and this puts it back to Home. I usually don't use the A/C unless temps outside are over 80F. When I turn that on after a while of not, engine seems to shut off more at stops.

Depending on how you drive, and how charged the battery is, and if the A/C is on or not, if the car interior is in the process of heating up or cooling down and probably another 20 or so conditions, it will or won't shut the motor off. It's not supposed to shut off at every stop unconditionally. That would discharge a lot of batteries pronto!

My car stops showing MPG when it's running at a stop. It reads Gallons/Hr. And the reading is 0.1 or 0.2...so I don't think it's really sucking a lot of gasoline at the light anyway. May not be saving anything to stop it? I would read the manual for a real fun explanation of it. ....Bwahahah!!!

...I always just thought the logic was telling the car that it wanted the engine to stay on. I've never complained about this, but it happens with my S90 T-6 as well. I think there is a 48V system on this that's primarily for the stop-start and then another battery for other stuff. The big battery is in the trunk but I'm not sure if it's the 48V or the 12V. I don't do work on this car but I've worked on Porsches and BMWs and a couple motorcycles for years. I also keep up with new tech in SAE magazines and car mags. I think most of us are gear-heads on forums like this...I certainly qualify. ...I play an engineer on TV!

At my recent service, I told the rep that my air-bladder seat thing was adjusting at random times and I heard a pump running during this. It's not completely unpleasant, but a bit weird. He said something about the seat sensing that there is a different person in it and trying to make adjustments...Heh? Sounds very Bentley and I told him so. He laughed and said there is a software switch to turn this off...because apparently, I'm not the only one to notice this. Then, sadly, he said he'd order some part to "fix" it so it could be turned on again...WHY? Such curiosities in these new electronic whiz-cars!

:)