View Full Version : CPO - Dealer Pre-Sale Maintenance Obligation

Rich.S
03-29-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm considering purchasing a CPO XC70 from an out-of-state Volvo dealer. I was fortunate to obtain the car's service records and as was able to arrange for an indy inspection of the car. I found two issues:

1. The car has not had a brake fluid flush and has been in service just 2 weeks shy of 4 years. It has been driven less than 35K miles*
2. My indy dealer detected an "intermittant fault" code related to the DDM

According to the Volvo Certification Inspection Checklist, the brake fluid on a certified car must be "replace(d) per maintenance schedule" which is confusing itself* and the technician should "Connect (the car) to VIDA, then read out fault codes and rectify according to instruction".

Given this information, what service is the seller (dealer) obligated to perform prior to selling the car as Volvo CPO?

Thanks!

Rich

* "Recommended to replace (brake fluid) every 3 years or 40,000 miles (if driven in mountainous areas or humid climates - every one year) at owner's request."

MyVolvoS60
03-29-2020, 09:22 PM
I'm considering purchasing a CPO XC70 from an out-of-state Volvo dealer. I was fortunate to obtain the car's service records and as was able to arrange for an indy inspection of the car. I found two issues:

1. The car has not had a brake fluid flush and has been in service just 2 weeks shy of 4 years. It has been driven less than 35K miles*
2. My indy dealer detected an "intermittant fault" code related to the DDM

According to the Volvo Certification Inspection Checklist, the brake fluid on a certified car must be "replace(d) per maintenance schedule" which is confusing itself* and the technician should "Connect (the car) to VIDA, then read out fault codes and rectify according to instruction".

Given this information, what service is the seller (dealer) obligated to perform prior to selling the car as Volvo CPO?

Thanks!

Rich

* "Recommended to replace (brake fluid) every 3 years or 40,000 miles (if driven in mountainous areas or humid climates - every one year) at owner's request."

If you're buying a car, anything is negotiable. If you feel the car is a worth purchasing, I'd be sure to demand fault code be troubleshooted and corrected (not just reset). And a brake flush performed....

Mind you, people aren't running out to buy vehicles. The buyer holds the cards right now and I'm sure you can negotiate a rather fair price on the vehicle too, if dealer is slow, as I would predict it would be during this "pandemic".

Rich.S
03-29-2020, 09:37 PM
If you're buying a car, anything is negotiable. If you feel the car is a worth purchasing, I'd be sure to demand fault code be troubleshooted and corrected (not just reset). And a brake flush performed.....

I asked the dealer how the issue of the intermittent fault code was addressed. The answer I received was "the service department reported that the L/F window operates normally".

My point: doesn't the 'CPO Inspection Checklist' dictate that these issues be addressed and how? If not, then the checklist items are just empty promises.

MyVolvoS60
03-29-2020, 10:09 PM
I asked the dealer how the issue of the intermittent fault code was addressed. The answer I received was "the service department reported that the L/F window operates normally".

My point: doesn't the 'CPO Inspection Checklist' dictate that these issues be addressed and how? If not, then the checklist items are just empty promises.

Back when I bought my car in 2016 (15.5), the CPO appeared to be more of a suggestion than an actual inspection. Here's the car, it's a CPO, enjoy. I had numerous issues fixed under warranty thus far, of which some would have popped up if the car was truly inspected.

Grecian has stated that the new CPO process is $800 and would like us to believe that dealers are now more ethical with their inspections.

Honestly, I'd ask for any resolution to be put in writing in the form of a work order / service order. How was the DDM code resolved? If you just "cleared the code" without checking the issue, that's not a resolution.

FYI: If you do proceed to buy the car, the CPO is 5 yrs / unlimited miles. So seeing the car is almost at 4 years, you'll have about 1 year to get all issues resolved at Volvo's expense. That doesn't mean ignore issues that you notice now during the presale negotiations.

GrecianVolvo
03-30-2020, 12:47 PM

Hi Rich,

The brake fluid must replaced as per maintenance schedule, meaning that if the current mileage is close to the mileage interval that stipulates a fluid replacement, then it must be changed. If it's not close, then it will need to be changed when the interval approaches. If it's past the interval and was never changed, by the previous owner/lessee, then it should be changed by the retailer as par of the Certification process.

I see you are in Chicago (which is part of the area I am responsible for); please PM me which retailer you are working with and the VIN of the car and, perhaps, I can assist you further.

Rich.S
03-30-2020, 12:56 PM
Hi Rich,

The brake fluid must replaced as per maintenance schedule, meaning that if the current mileage is close to the mileage interval that stipulates a fluid replacement, then it must be changed.

The car is 2016 so it's well past the 3 year TIME interval but has way under the 40K MILEAGE interval. From what I can see, the previous owner serviced the car at 1 year intervals since they were not meeting the 10K mileage intervals. (The car is a low mileage car.)