SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

DC Metro Cruise/Ralley in VA...anybody interested?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lax01 
#1 ·
Quote »

Hey guys, I don't post much here, but I was talking to Jimmy on AIM, and decided to cross-post this idea here. The more, the merrier. Original link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24053

*LATEST UPDATES IN ORANGE!!!*
Hey everyone, yesterday I racked up 150 miles going to, running, and coming back from Leeds Manor Road. It's approximately 50 miles from Fairfax, 50 miles to run the course to the end and back, and 50 miles to get back to Fairfax.

The course feels really long, it's about 50 miles (25 to the end reaching US 211 and 25 back to US 50). The segment of US 50W leading up to that course is awesome too; very scenic. I recommend driving economically there, because the twisties will reduce your MPG significantly (provided that you don't shift up, because you prefer the sound of a happy engine).

There are many blind corners and long tunnel-atmosphere sweepers, but the "two-lane road" barely fits two compact sedans, so you have to watch out for oncoming cars. During 7:00PM to 8:00PM, I encounted ZERO cars, so sometimes I forgot it was a two-lane road, since there are no markings to remind you.

I didn't speed, except once for a long sweeper, but then I remembered what happened the last time I did that...also, I never went above the speed limit in some of the residential areas. I wouldn't want to ruin those awesome roads, so the convoy would have to be a cruise. We can still have plenty of fun. The speed limit ranges from 25-45MPH, but most of the people who live there go at least 50 MPH in some sections.

That general area is pretty twisty, since it's in Markham. A lot of vineyards there, and some small towns along the way. I actually found the Naked Mountain Vineyard (their Riesling is delicious). There's also a WEIGHING station on the way there. I was going to weigh my car on the way back, but I had to get home before it got pitch black. In the morning, it's pretty breathtaking, but at night, there is absolutely zero light.

I left at 6:00PM, ran into traffic getting there, but once I was there, I was unencumbered. I arrived back home at around 10:00PM.

So, I'm thinking about a convoy cruise consisting of local DC Metro-ers who enjoy driving on great backroads. Here's the link of an outline of the route:
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/va_lmr.html

I'm not quite sure how to organize everything yet, so I'd like to get all the input I can before making an itinerary. This wouldn't be just a E90post only cruise, I'm thinking about combining the convoy with some people from http://www.eastcoasteuro.net.

EDIT!!!
Okay guys, I figured since Skyline Drive is only about 10 miles away from the end of the first half Leeds Manor Road, we might as well just alter the route a little. It turns out only the first half is twisty and fun anyway. Here's something I conjured up:

If anyone has suggestions to what we can do to further enhance the experience, please feel free to say so. It would be cool if we could get video or photo of the convoy (if it gets big enough). Still don't have a date set, but it's probably going to be on a Saturday or Sunday in August. Let's get some kind of list started. EDIT!!! How is the 5/6 or 12/13 of August?

Anybody down? I told them I'd post this up on the Volvo boards to see if there was any interest...Date is still not set yet...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: DC Metro Cruise/Ralley in VA...anybody interested? (lax01)

I have thought about this a lot since there are a bunch of nice roads on the outer edges of the DC Metro area. I have heard of Leeds Manor, but I'm not making a connection with it right now. I would veto the Skyline Drive. It is slow, lot of tourists, and many park rangers.

#3 ·
Re: DC Metro Cruise/Ralley in VA...anybody interested? (I Roll)

well they're still working on the when and the where, but I'll let them know how you feel...they said they'd love to have some new Rs come out for the drive...I know a bunch of M3s are signed up now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.