SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Adventure Racing

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  soledoc 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Re: Adventure Racing (OilAnalyst)

It's Charles Anderson. I need to get my bike over to the shop for a tune up.

Modified by soledoc at 12:25 PM 8-2-2006

#5 ·

I don't think I have anything going on September 9th. I do not think I can physically participate but would happy to help with support and as you said, if for some reason I can't, I can help find a replacement.

I am confused about what they have listed under race support.

"Race Support:
All teams are self-supported. Teams are required to provide all their necessary gear including food, fluids and fuel needed for their race. No outside assistance will be allowed during the race. The race staging area will have a transition area where teams can store whatever gear and equipment they think they may need. Several times during the race, the team can pass through the transition area to change and adjust gear as necessary. "

#6 ·

I was looking at the list of people who raced before and in the 2005 24-hour, two of my former co-workers are listed. I haven't talked to either of them in quite awhile but one of them is a female. I would doubt that she would team up with people she didn't know but if you are short a female competitor for the 2007 24-hour race, I could at least ask.

#7 ·
Re: Adventure Racing (CharlesA71)

Definitely talk to her. She could easily go riding with us and do other training events. By the time the race rolls around, she'd know us!! Find out how her navigations skills are.

The event you read about is the upcoming Urban Adventure. That is all self supported.

The 24-hour event is really pretty much self supported also. The support crew is completely optional but extremely handy to have.

#8 ·

All right...Charles is a swedespeeder. But you need to change your avatar. You've got a pic of a 2001-present V70.

My bike is going in this weekend so hopefully we can start riding in a few weeks.

As far as names...humm....volvophiles could be one. too weird?

#9 ·
Re: Adventure Racing (soledoc)

Absolutely nothing is too weird...

Hey...you would have an inside scoop on how to keep our feet under proper care!!! I typically just coat them with vaseline and wear synthetic socks...which everyone will need to make sure they are using...the synthetic socks anyway. We'll be changing them often due to getting them all wet.

#10 ·

OK, I'll be the official team podiatrist. Hopefully you won't need my services. Synthetics are good because they wick moisture away.

#12 ·

My bike's in the shop right now getting a new tire and a tune up. It should be ready (hopefully along with me) for the race.

#15 ·
Re: Adventure Racing (CharlesA71)

Quote, originally posted by CharlesA71 »
Ok, I couldn't tell which was was which. Which avatar is the 2000 V70?

It's NOT that one!!! That's a wild one...volvo flipping over. Now THAT'S adventure racing!!

#17 ·
Re: Adventure Racing (Slurm)

The first link I posted in this link would be a warm up to the second link I posted.

We've put together an adventure racing team for the 2007 Planet Adventure 24 Hour adventure race.

VCOA will partially sponsor us. They have no monetary abilities to give us but they will give us some promotional materials and a banner to put on our transition area.

I'd like to have some type of fund raiser for this event if we could. Just need to brainstorm on this one a bit. This race is not cheap. The type of people that do these races are the types that could quite possibly be interested in the Volvo Club.

Additionally, this would be another way to introduce group events while allowing for the Adventure Team to train.

#19 ·
Re: Adventure Racing (soledoc)

The Cannondale may be out of commission for a bit. I took it to the shop for work on the front suspension. Hopefully it will be a warranty issue.

The Giant mountain bike will be finished by Wednesday. It is plenty useable if we want to try to get a ride in sometime.

#20 ·

I took my Cannondale out for a ride yesterday. I may need a new seat. $75 and my bike is like new. I even dug up my old helmet and gloves! It felt good. Maybe we'll ride next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.