SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  George@Swedespeed 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Re: Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison (B518T)

Thanks for making that available. So far it's the first comparative review I have seen using the new R. Volvo folks may be disappointed in the final results, however I find that to be a thumbs-up verdict on the R. I need a wagon which BMW doesn't produce to compete with the V70R and the S4 Avant is several thousand more expensive than the R. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

#4 ·
Re: Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison (24Hours)

In your country maybe it is, in our country the S4 Avant price is still the same as the estimated V70R price.
According the article the R is a considerable amount slower compared to the S4 which means that the R isn't that much faster compared to the T5.
Like I predicted from day one the 0-200 km/h time must be something around 23 seconds or even slower and maybe this is the reason for Volvo not posting these numbers.
Although most reviews like the Volvo as a car I still can't find a review that's fully positive about the R.
There's always some kind of read between the lines remark.
For the US things look fair but I have a feeling that Volvo is going flat on it's face if they want to maintain the predicted pricetag, no Audiomax standard can overcome that.
The true potential lies with the "down tuned" 6 speed but what does that bring when there's no factory warranty to back that up.

A few months back performance was the word, now suddenly people are talking about a fast family estate....Who's fooling who?

T5's are fast family estates. Heck, even the AWD's come pretty close but the R was supposed to be a different league which it isn't.

The more I read the articles the bigger the feeling that Volvo let down on the R.

#5 ·
Re: Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison (Johann)

quote:

According the article the R is a considerable amount slower compared to the S4 which means that the R isn't that much faster compared to the T5.
If I read correctly, 0-60 (for the R) was measured at 5.4 secs. while the S4 was clocked at 5.6 secs...right?

Yannis

#7 ·
Re: Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison (GrecianVolvo)

quote:

If I read correctly, 0-60 (for the R) was measured at 5.4 secs. while the S4 was clocked at 5.6 secs...right?

Yannis
So how often you think that counts?
0.2 seconds from 0-60 which is way within driver error and reactions or 2-4 seconds to 125 mph...
I mean reading the article and the given 0-125 time for the S4 of 21 seconds means the R is "just" 2 seconds quicker compared to the T5 and the main difference is the 0-60 time.
Man, Some diesels laugh at you with that numbers...

Those 0-60 times doesn't say "chips"

#8 ·

quote:

According the article the R is a considerable amount slower compared to the S4
Hey "chief"...I am just shooting down the silly part of your post! http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif You wrote what is indicated just above this....and the article indicates that, at least, from 0-60 the R will beat the S4....how does that make the R "a considerable amount slower compared to the S4"???

And leave those diesels out of the picture, OK? No stock diesel car will beat the S60R or the V70R.

I still don't understand why you feel so let down...I mean, if you are married, you are acting like you caught your wife in bed with the guy next door...Jeez!!!

Yannis

#9 ·

quote:

And leave those diesels out of the picture, OK? No stock diesel car will beat the S60R or the V70R.

I still don't understand why you feel so let down...Jeez!!!

Yannis
I still don't understand why you stick you head so deep in to the sand...Jeez!!!
Isn't it obvious, just read the article once without your Volvo hat on or just read it better.
That 0.2 seconds just don't mean anything in every day street driving.
A few seconds above 60 does.
Go cruise the German Autobahn once in a while. (don't get shocked by the diesel performance.)

You really can't stand a bit of realism when it comes to these reviews, can you?

From the article..

quote:

Both BMW and Audi blow the S60's candle out when it comes to pure performance.
quote:

...but the Audi is always ahead of the S60 on the exit, grunting off down the next straight.

#10 ·

I will take off my "Volvo hat" (sic) when you take your ANTI-Volvo hat off. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

Did I doubt either the M3's or the S4's great performance???? My goodness! The S4 better blow away the S60 R with its touted V8, etc. Me claiming that S60R can kick the new S4's butt would be like it can stay with an M5 or an E55. That's not what this whole argument is about. When a car beats another (even from 0-60 and by a few tenths) you have to respect that...that's all! So...when are you getting the M3 or the S4? http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

Yannis

#11 ·

Yannis,

Don't tell anyone but given the probable fact that the V70R and the S4 will be priced similar I lean towards temptation very much.........and only Volvo is to blame.( and the small point that I own a nice 850 also)

I did sit behind the wheel of the S4 in Paris and it is a very nice car with good quality appearance on first sight.
I can get used to the interior.
The complete package of that car suits the pricetag, I hope Volvo will do the right thing.
I think the R prices will be revealed first week of Februari during the Rai auto show in the Netherlands and then we will know.

That's all I wanted to say on the subject.

(I think there was a sense of Audinism in one of your other posts also.)

#12 ·

quote:

(I think there was a sense of Audinism in one of your other posts also.)
What is an..."Audinism"? I hope not some kind of a syndrome!

Yannis

#13 ·

quote:

Just came back from Philly where I perused the cars during this year's Auto Show.

A few points:

AUDI: Nothing new there other than the RS6 which was locked up! http://********************/smile/emsad.gif Oh! They had the new A8 L...that car is as long as a minibus! Nice cars and, as usual, the best-lookign interiors of ANY brand.

Yannis

(hmmm, glad I'm not the only one with bad spelling http://********************/smile/emwink.gif )

#14 ·

hmm...the s4 is wayyy smaller. the rear seat in the old s4 and the new s4 is just laughable. it's so tight back there. i'd have to bet the s60r is gonna be more a commodating. given that...i doubt volvo will ever make something that's gonna be on par in terms of handling and performance as an m3. it's just the way it is. u can only go so far with 5 cylinders. even bmw knows that...that inline-6 is already heavily massaged (come on, individual throttle bottles man http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif ...and etc.)...so much so they didn't use the same inline-6 but a v8 in the alms.

wonder why they didn't compare the mb c32 with it. that's a torque monster (for something the size of a corolla).

i'd love to have something like the s60r suspension in my 850. soft for highway or with the folks. advanced sport for track or myself. wohoo!

[Modified by steve s, 3:37 PM 1-19-2003]

#15 ·
Re: Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison (steve s)

For some reason, the new V8 powered S4 just never catches my interest. I really want to see how they could make that already understeering AWD nimble with a V8 stuff in that small engine compartment. Not too excited about how it will handle...the last S4 was already horrible compares to the regular 1.8T version. Horrible when comparing to an M3. If I were the mechanic repairing the new S4, I'd hate my life trying to get around that small engine bay.
Did I mention that the new A4 looks just like a Passat that is $$$$ less?

#16 ·
Re: Top Gear S60R/M3/S4 comparison (The_one_n_only)

Okay, I'll weigh in.

Both cars are very good, but they've got their own strengths and weaknesses.

S4 - while not as in your face a design as I'd have hoped, I don't think it looks like a Passat. The back seat is also useable, and not as small as the old car. It's tough to compare it to the Volvos, because it's somewhat close to the S60 in size, but the V70 is more on the level of the S6 in size.

Audi has probably the best interior quality in the affordable market (i.e. not counting Bentley, Rolls etc). That's been pretty much confirmed by most independent press, and I tend to agree (excepting for their recent use of fiberglass inlays instead of wood and aluminum in certain cars.... the S4 uses aluminum).

The new V8 weighs the same as the 2.7T through use of alloy.

S60R / V70R - these are bigger cars, specifically the wagon. They are more practical in use, though not as powerful. The big plus here is that there is more tuning potential for less money. Being turbocharged (unlike the new S and M cars), you can bet that there'll be companies selling ECU upgrades. Further, the active suspension gives the driver the best of both worlds. If you want something like that on an Audi, you have to buy the super rare and super expensive RS6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.