View Full Version : New England Gathering - 7 Oct 2007 Owls Head Museum Maine

OwlsInBog
09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
You are all invited to join us!!<p><B>Sunday, 7 October 2007 at Owls Head Transportation Museum near Rockland, Maine</B><p>Come join us for a great show at the Owls Head Transportation Museum near Rockland, Maine. This museum has a wonderful collection of antique cars and planes (WWI vintage) and most are in operating condition - in fact they fly the planes most every weekend. Gates open at 9:30 AM<p>This year Volvo is the featured marque at their Fall Import Auto Show and all Volvos are welcome regardless of age. Anyone coming in a Volvo will get to park on the show field and receive free admission!<p>This is the VCOA Maine Chapter annual gathering. This year, I would like to invite everyone to join us for some additional activities on the weekend. This area has LOADS of stuff to do and see. I can offer a list of options for ‘on your own’ tours, or we can plan a couple of outings as a group. Many great restaurants in the area, and depending on the numbers, I can offer a lobster picnic here at ‘End Of Town Farm’ in Clark Island (about 5 miles from the Museum) on Saturday afternoon (~$25/person for steamed whole lobster, corn on the cob, potato salad and cole slaw).<p><B>Please let me know if you are coming and whether you want to join us for a lobster feed (I have to order the lobsters several days ahead of time), or whether you would prefer a nice dinner out or other organized activity.<p>[email protected] 207-594-9747</B><p>There are many museums (Farnsworth, home museum of the Wyeths; Light House Museum; Marshall Point Light House Museum - this is the light house that was featured in Forrest Gump; and many more).<p>Art and sculpture galleries - too numerous to mention - ~50 within a 10 mile radius of downtown Rockland.<p>Several islands you can visit by passenger ferry - notable is Monhegan which is mostly an artist community - great hiking on trails along the rugged coast of the island.<p>Other opportunities include ocean and estuary kayaking, an educational boat trip to eastern Egg Rock to see puffins (as well as osprey, eagles, seals, et al.).<p>And finally, this is the best time to visit this part of the coast - weather is great - warm days and cool evenings, leaves are beginning to show their fall colors - and the mosquitos and black flies are gone!.<p><B>For those wishing to stay overnight</B> - here is a list of several places. Due to the popularity of the area, prices are not cheap, but the accommodations are pretty good.<p>Craignair Inn - One of my favorites - right on the ocean at Clark Island ~ 5 miles from Owls Head (and 1 block from my house) Great Restaurant. 800-320-9997, <A HREF="http://www.craignair.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.craignair.com</A> ($65-$155)<p>Hampton Inn - brand new, on US 1 between Thomaston and Rockland - ~ 5 mi from Museum - 207-594-6644<p>Navigator Motor Inn - on Rockland Harbor 800-545-8026 ($85-$135)<p>Trade Winds Motor Inn - on Rockland Harbor 207-596-6661 ($79-$145)<p>Glen Cove Inn - Rockport just North of Rockland on US 1 207-594-4062) ($89-$179)<p><B>Local Restaurants</B> (can you tell I like good food?) These are some of the local ones - there are loads more<br> <br>Thomaston Café - Rt 1 in Thomaston 207-596-7556 - some of the best food in the area! Reservations suggested, reasonable prices<p>Harbor View Restaurant - Thomaston 207-354-8173 (gotta try the haddock chowder!)<p>Billy’s Tavern - Thomaston (new) Irish pub, often music on weekends<p>Café Miranda - Rockland 207-594-2034 - huge menu loads of unusual selections - prices are a bit high, reservations suggested<p>Suzuki’s Sushi Bar - Main Street Rockland 207-596-7447 reservations suggested. One of the BEST sushi bars I have found anywhere- better than Sushi Ko in Washington DC and Tachibana in Arlington, VA! Great atmosphere. Prices typical of sushi bars.<p>In Good Company -Main Street Rockland - 207- 593-9110 - reservations suggested, upscale wine bar and restaurant, excellent food, very comfortable atmosphere, a bit pricey but worth it.<p>Applebees - the usual - next door to the Hampton Inn<p>Rockland Café - Main Street in downtown Rockland - New England comfort food<p>The Waterworks - nice pub with excellent food - best fish and chips in the region! Try them with the sweet potato fries. Often music on the weekends.<p>Sunfire Mexican Grill - Main Street Rockland 207-594-6196- good Mexican food, reasonable prices.<br>