SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Apple iPod/iPhone music player integration in the '08 XC70 ?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Needsdecaf 
#1 ·
How is the Apple iPod/iPhone music player integrated in the '08 XC70 ?

Does it require the Volvo iPod Adapter as do previous Volvo models?

For my '07 S60R I had to install the Volvo iPod Adapter to make use of my iPod/iPhone music player.

I notice there's an audio-in plug in the center console's storage box. Is this the iPod/iPhone method for connecting this type music player, and if so, can one control the iPod/iPhone via the HU and/or steering wheel controls ? What kind of control does one have via the HU and/or steering wheel controls ?

Appreciate and insights/feedback on this subject, and thanks....

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Apple iPod/iPhone music player integration in the '08 XC70 ? (barrysharp)

Quote, originally posted by barrysharp »
How is the Apple iPod/iPhone music player integrated in the '08 XC70 ?

Does it require the Volvo iPod Adapter as do previous Volvo models?

For my '07 S60R I had to install the Volvo iPod Adapter to make use of my iPod/iPhone music player.

I notice there's an audio-in plug in the center console's storage box. Is this the iPod/iPhone method for connecting this type music player, and if so, can one control the iPod/iPhone via the HU and/or steering wheel controls ? What kind of control does one have via the HU and/or steering wheel controls ?

Appreciate and insights/feedback on this subject, and thanks....

The best way (and we just did this for a customer) is to have the USB cable installed where it will connect to the iPhone and also charge it. I was not there for the delivery and I will have to catch up with my salesperson who delivered the car, some time next week. I will find out the details.

Yannis

#3 ·

the Aux input will work w/ an ipod or any other device.
However, you have to use the device controls.
The USB cable allows the device to be controlled by the car, and for the device info to be displayed on the radio screen.
Personally, I just use the reg Aux input w/ my iphone.
Didn't feel like spending $300 plus so I could use the car controls.

#4 ·
Re: Apple iPod/iPhone music player integration in the '08 XC70 ? (VolvoMax)

I don't understand this "USB cable" connection wrt an iPod/iPhone. Both of these units don't have an onboard USB although they are charged with a cable that does have USB connected power brick.

#5 ·

My new V70 was delivered with a couple of cables in the arm rest for I-pod. I connect a 80Gb I-pod and the steering wheel controls operate the playlists. The centre console indicates the artists,songs and playlists etc. Sound quality very good with the premium system. The cables in the armrest are disgarceful and I can't find place to fix the I-pod. The real downside is extra cost....

#6 ·
Re: Apple iPod/iPhone music player integration in the '08 XC70 ? (portsmouth)

Quote, originally posted by portsmouth »
My new V70 was delivered with a couple of cables in the arm rest for I-pod. I connect a 80Gb I-pod and the steering wheel controls operate the playlists. The centre console indicates the artists,songs and playlists etc. Sound quality very good with the premium system. The cables in the armrest are disgarceful and I can't find place to fix the I-pod. The real downside is extra cost....

Why TWO cables ? I assume you used one for the iPod but what about the other ?

#7 ·

Why TWO cables ? I assume you used one for the iPod but what about the other ?

the other cable is to allow a different type of device to be used instead of thr ipod.
Only one device can be used at a time though.

#8 ·

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »

the other cable is to allow a different type of device to be used instead of thr ipod.
Only one device can be used at a time though.

OK thanks...
...but can you give me an example of what another device might be? I assume it's an MP3 player of some kind.

#9 ·

OK thanks...
...but can you give me an example of what another device might be? I assume it's an MP3 player of some kind.

Yup.

#10 ·

According to volvocars.us, this feature is STANDARD.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Note, I triple checked, this is NOT the aux input jack. This clearly states:

Quote, originally posted by volvocars.us »
Getting the best out of your car audio system, the auxiliary connection provides seamless integration of your MP3 players. Simply connect your device to the connector hidden under the front center armrest and leave it there out of harms way. Playlists, songs and artists are displayed in the console menu, and you can select your music via the audio controls or steering wheel integrated controls. You can also select different random and shuffle modes. And when reaching your destination, simply unplug and take your portable device with you.

#11 ·
Re: Apple iPod/iPhone music player integration in the '08 XC70 ? (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
According to volvocars.us, this feature is STANDARD.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Note, I triple checked, this is NOT the aux input jack. This clearly states:

I think Volvo Cars goofed.
The Aux input jack IS standard,but it doesn't work like it is described in the text.

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »

I think Volvo Cars goofed.
The Aux input jack IS standard,but it doesn't work like it is described in the text.

I think they did too.

Spoke to my local sales manager this morning who confirmed that the ipod / USB interface is indeed an option. In fact, he noted that it's so new, the catalog only has the part price, not an install price.

At least it's here now, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.