SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

"New" 2008 XC70 - Premium Sound...doesn't sound "Premium", help

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Schmoyoho 
#1 · (Edited)
We just purchased a new to us 2008 XC70 which came with the Dynaudio Premium sound package...at least the system says so when powering it on, I was stoked about that as I am a quasi-audiophile. To further my evidence of it being a Premium system it has the Dynaudio (labeled) center channel and so I have no reason to think it is not the Premium audio package.

Addressing my "doesn't sound "Premium'" comment...we are coming from a 2006 V50, also with the Premium sound package, and that system was quite good as far as I could tell, so this is my point of reference. I believe there were some changes to the audio systems in 2007 (switched to Dynaudio I believe from Harmon Kardon?), and from what I've read it's really good, but maybe not quite as good as the Harmon Kardon system.

OK, so the issue: I was setting up the audio flavor for me and I was playing a CD (RHCP - Stadium Arcadium was my mood last evening) and the sound was great from the front speakers, however when I used the fader to listen to the rear channels (I was tweaking the front/rear EQ) I noted immediately that there was no bass response at all, from either left or right speaker. I then did a "reset all audio settings", to make sure the previous owner hadn't made any odd settings, no change though. I also tweaked with the DLPII and 3-channel, and tried "Off" as well. No matter what I tried it sounded as if somehow both rear speakers had no woofer, all I heard from the rear was high frequencies, the tweeter and perhaps a midrange, though if so the mid was crossed over pretty high. I tried again with the Soundstage setting pushed to the rear, no change, so I cranked the bass up in the rear, both via the EQ and with the Bass/Treble selection, still just high frequencies, no lower end whatsoever.

Perhaps this is just the way it is, and without hearing another XC70 with the Premium system I can't tell if this is just nothing like the V50's Premium, or if it's the case of two blown rear woofers. I have heard people rave about this system, so I can't help but think it's something with the vehicle. If these are blown, what is the part number for the rear Dynaudio woofers I need to replace (I can find the p/n for the standard speakers, not these though)? Also, is this the same Dynaudio system that's used in the XC90's? I read a but about them, but I'm not seeing nearly as many posts about the Premium Dynaudio system in the XC70.

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not as well versed on the 08s and newer but I would think that on "OFF" you should hear some halfway decent sounds from the rear so perhaps something is bad with this unit as are most of the 01-07 radios at some point

#3 ·
I had the Dynaudio in an '08 C70 and it was fantastic. If memory serves me there is a separate amp for the rear speakers. If so it could be that either a fuse is blown, a bad connection, or worst of all a bad amp. Maybe you can access a rear speaker and disconnect it from the system, then run a sound source to it to check its quality. Good luck.

#4 ·
Failing dynaudio speakers seems to be common. I had the same issue so I removed the door panel and used a 1,5V battery and two leads on the speaker and... nothing. Tried the same on a functioning speaker to verify it was enough voltage and sure enough it made a small pop. So that's the diagnosis. The fix is either to replace the speakers or to attempt fixing them yourself, seems there's been good results with fixing bad connections: http://www.jagrullar.se/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1104946#p1104946

#7 ·
Try putting a voltage meter or something on the connector and see if you get a readout. I don't know electronics well enough but I tinkered with mine and it gave a reading at some point when I played music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.