SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Buying 2005 S60 R M66 - How rare are they?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Morpheus 
#1 ·
Went to checkout a M66 R with a blown engine(head gasket- milky oil, pressure in the cooling system when cranking and the "no compression" sound) and a rebuilt title with 149k miles. PO said it overheated.
I know the manual transmission cars are rare, but how rare are they? Does anybody remember the production numbers/ how many M66 were imported to USA? I remember seeing it somewhere in the forum,
Cl coat is pealing off few panels and mostly roof, break calipers look good no rust, dampers are firm ( I know how pricey they are) Also FL car no rust under the body.
I missed 3 R's in the past because didn't act fast, any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Don’t have exact numbers, but from personal experience manual s60rs are fairly easy to find for under 4-6k depending on condition. Depending on cost a blown engine wouldn’t stop me from buying one necessarily, but it would have to be around the $1500 mark.

V70rs are far more rare in manual and go for stupid money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Like said above, you can usually find good condition clean title ~100-150k mile M66 R's for the $6k range. The rule of thumb is any R you buy under $6K will end up being a $6K car when it is all sorted. So unless you can do all the work yourself and you'll be getting into it for ~$1-1.5k, it won't be worth it. Engine rebuild + rebuilt title will probably make it a $4k car max, regardless of condition + mods

#9 ·
I have just recently purchased me an automatic one same year and is an r as well....paid $750....is supposed to run but haven't heard it....they keys got lost and some fool thought all he had to do was swap the ignition out....silly fool...so its locked out by immobilizer...i have been trying to put together my own programing setup to access the eeprom in the immobilizer and see if i can pull the necessary info....funny how one project spawns another...both of which i know not much about, but confident on anything i bite off....i thought it was a good deal rather it ran or not and this post confirmed it for me

#12 ·
Easiest way is to tow it to the dealer and pay the $300 for a new key, then you can test drive it and see what you have. Reprogramming might take you longer than expected, but since you are going this route you must be pretty knowledgeable, Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.