SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

IPD vs EST vs Borla - Volvo R Exhaust Comparison Video

20K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  MN-TURBOR 
#1 ·
IPD vs EST vs Borla - Volvo R Exhaust Comparison Video

all cars have an OBX catless downpipe and were revved by the same person.

ATR-6550 shot-gun mic hooked up to a Zoom H1 audio recorder, placed about 13 feet behind each car

this video only shows you what they sound like from outside, I will have to take each car on a cruise and see if I can also capture what the noise (and/or drone if any) is like in the cabin for a more full review. I own the Borla setup and it does have some drone but its not intrusive at all or irritation just enough to let you know you have an exhaust that will go crazy at WOT :)

some other related videos:
ELEVATE / IPD / BORLA / STOCK exhaust comparison

Borla XR-1

EST Exhaust link:
http://www.eurosporttuning.com/volvo/exhaust/cat-back-system/mototec-eurosport-tuning-sport-edition-cat-back-exhaust-kit-s60r-v70r.html

IPD Exhaust link:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8814/120056-ipd-oval-tube-catback-exhaust-2004-2007-s60r-v70r

Borla muffler:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40943

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome comparisons! I've always loved your setup and car in general. What was the total cost to have your exhaust done? I checked your thread you made a while back about it, I'm seeing $55 for the tip, $150-180 for the OBX, and $127 for the XR-1, but what about the shot costs for pipe and labor?

#6 ·
thanks! it was about $150 for the piping and install.

#3 ·
This makes me want to possibly trade my EST for an iPD one in the future.

Maybe next year...

#4 ·
Thanks for sharing. I still like the video of the cars accelerating the best, particularly comparing to stock setup. It gives a better sense of the sound out in the wild, rather than parked and revving it.

Oh, and the ipd exhaust still has my vote. Now if only my stock exhaust would rot away...

#14 ·
Custom exhaust ftw...

#15 ·

#16 ·
Love the Borla, was that straight from the DP to the muffler then out ??

#18 ·
IPD I think sounds the best. Great video thanks for sharing.

Matt

#19 ·
Ipd sounds the best.....then borla
Est sounds like crap no exhaust note

#21 ·
I used to own the EST Sport exhaust, the one you see in the video. I sold it to the guy when he got the R and got myself the Borla. I wanted a full 3in turbo-back setup and something much louder. They all sound great in person and when you are driving away but if I wanted a bolt-on setup the IPD would be my choice hands down, sounds excellent and really good quality. The EST has the quality part down, I just wanted something louder in cabin to really enjoy driving. I don't use the radio much when I'm driving the R. That being said some people want the better flow and performance of an upgraded exhaust system but not really that much noise in the cabin for them the EST sport or touring would be better. Price wise the Borla made sense and its a very close tone to the IPD and at WOT just as loud. At many meets its usually an even vote between the IPD and Borla.

I might have to do this type of video again but add the Elevate and OBX setup to the mix and also some driving clips too.

#22 ·
Are EST, Borla, and IPD, full stainless?

#24 ·
Awesome comparison, thanks for making this! imho the borla and ipd are too loud, love the est

#25 ·
Ipd sounds the best hands down. If you think its too loud. Imo... Best option stay stock.

#26 ·
I like the comparison, just needed outside acceleration and in-car video because those are the two most relevant things for a complete exhaust comparison.

No doubt IPD and Borla are deeper, loudness is close between the three IMO...will reevaluate my words if what I've mentioned above is done :) For me, unless I experience IPD and Borla first hand, it would't be worthwhile switching up to either of those. I would rather just jump up to an exhaust cutout and raise hell :D

Here's an in-car video I took yesterday

#27 ·
so...how was your first hand Borla experience???

#30 ·
Because of the cost factor does having a stock DP affect the IPD or Borla sound? Does Borla make a cat back system? It does sound as good as the IPD.

#33 ·
Hope you don't mind me butting in...

Here's a compilation of many, many video clips captured with three different cameras comparing the OEM exhaust to ipd's oval tube catback exhaust on both manual and automatic transmissions in various driving situations. Both cars equipped with OEM downpipes and ECU tunes. In other words, the only change from stock is the ipd oval tube catback exhaust system.

Cameras used. No audio editing or leveling. Some of the clips, especially those without the exhaust, have some sound levels too loud for the in-camera microphone, therefore sound a bit distorted. Notes added to clips to identify which camera, exhaust, and transmission.
1. iPhone 6.
2. Canon PowerShot (compact point & shoot) with wind blocker.
3. GoPro Hero4 (with open back).

I chose the ipd exhaust because of its deeper tone and loudness increase compared to OEM. I considered the TME and EST systems also. Gotta let the unique 5-pot sound sing! The lift throttle burble / cackle was an extra bonus!

2005 Volvo V70 R Silver exterior / Nordkap interior. 5-speed automatic transmission. Shifts were a mix of automatic and manual shifting.

2006 Volvo V70 R Magic Blue exterior / Atacama interior. 6-speed manual transmission with single mass flywheel (SMF). I mention the SMF because in some scenarios, e.g., below 2000 rpm, the flywheel is actually louder than the exhaust. Is there drone, you ask? I don't believe there to be any. At highway speeds (2700-2800 rpm) on half my commute, I hear as much wind noise with the windows up as I hear the exhaust. The other half of my commute is about 2300 rpm, and it is marginally louder, but certainly far from droning or too loud. My wife doesn't like the sound; neither does my friend's wife like it on his silver R. But we boys like it and they are our daily drivers. It is borderline too loud for my friend on his daily commute, usually at about 2300 rpm. We plan to try dynamat (or similar) in the floor of his wagon and perhaps tailgate.

Anyway, hopefully the video helps those on the fence about this or any other exhaust. My intention was to capture the same driving scenarios with the same cameras with OEM and ipd exhausts so you could hear the difference, and hopefully avoid the questions about different cameras capturing the audio differently. I am by far no camera jockey. Many people probably have iPhone 6 and/or GoPro Hero 4, so hopefully my capturing the video with those cameras helps the comparison.

Bust out the speakers with subwoofer or high quality headphones and crank it up!

Time notes:
0:00 photos
0:31 cold starts, both in the air on jack stands and on the ground.
3:15 Camera standing road side outside the cars.
4:47 Camera mounted to the rear bumper.
6:15 Camera mounted inside cargo area (rear quarter glass).
7:38 Camera mounted to sunroof glass to capture the sound for the driver and front passenger.
10:01 No exhaust - only the downpipe. Because we had to see how loud it was. Eeesh - it almost hurt our ears because it was so loud. It was too loud for the cameras on most clips; the recording turned to mostly distortion.

#35 ·
Awesome Video!!! You all are what make Swedespeed so wonderful!

I'm waiting for my muffler to rot out to justify an exhaust and ideally it would showcase the R at WOT while not standing out in traffic or through neighborhoods. I'm thinking IPD or EST touring, but I'm concerned EST touring might still rain squeal because of the larger resonator, anybody have experience?

Also if I knew someone who could fabricate it I was thinking about how it might sound sick to have a glass pack in place of a resonator and the the borla muffler!

#36 ·
if you have a catted downpipe the IPD is not as loud. You can get the EST exhaust without a resonator and it wont rain squeal and its a lot quieter. decent at WOT. but like i said with a catted downpipe it will quiet it down some more. stock cat with a borla xr-1 will be great and not too loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.