SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How do I fix IPD exhaust drone?

11K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  paradoxicallymodified 
#1 ·
Hi all, installed the IPD exhaust on my V70R. I love it around town--sounds great and gives me the excitement I felt was missing from the factory.

However, on the highway, it is absolutely unbearable. from about 2-4k RPM it drones endlessly; if going up a hill it gets even worse. Passengers have asked if there's something wrong with my car...

Is there anyway to solve this without going back to the stock exhaust? I love the added noise at lower speeds but to me it's absolutely not worth it for what happens on the highway--roadtrips are now miserable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
O have the same issue, I was able to make it a bit better by using Dyna mat sound deadening all under the back trunk cover. Also planning on wrapping the exhaust in some sound/heat deadinging next time I take it off. Good luck tho definitely not a road trip happy exhaust note.

I also made sure that the tips of the exhaust we're stuck out as far as I could I noticed it was worse when the tips were matched evenly to the bumper

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
My current exhaust is an IPD V70R one I bought used from a guy in my area who had welded in an addition muffler of some sort. Its only slightly larger than the diameter of the rest of the exhaust and is welded about half way down the length of it. I don't have a ridiculous amount of drone so maybe give it a shot.

#26 ·
This is your solution, it's called a Helmholtz resonator. You download an app for you phone that measures where frequencies are the loudest and go drive on the highway. When the drone starts you can look at the graph to determine the frequency that is causing the most drone (it will be the biggest spike) that information will tell you how long your resonator needs to be. The resonator is just a piece of pipe welded into the exhaust system, mine is welded into the exhaust pipe before the muffler and it's literally just a piece of pipe with a cap welded on. I have the IPD oval and it sounds great accelerating and around town but the drone was unbearable on the highway. My resonator way reduced drone and didn't change the around the town wail that I like, it's like magic. PM me if you want more info

#5 ·
As far as I can tell it's the open cavity of the wagon back that just reverberates the sound back and forth. I will at some point go to an exhaust shop and see if they have any ideas but I just roll the windows down( even a little stops the reverberating) and some music. Also make sure all your clamps are tight I had a loose one that was right in the center of the car and when I tightened it I felt less vibration from it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Vibrant resonaters are popular, but I can't speak to them personally. Could also try getting a quieter muffler. Both options will require some light fabrication that your local exhaust shop should be able to handle without issue.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
To be perfectly honest, your best options is probably to sell the IPD catback and buy an EST touring exhaust. I have the EST touring exhaust on my V70R and I love it. It is noticeably (in a good way) throatier around town and tame at highway cruising speeds.

That said, if you are set on sticking with the IPD exhaust, then one option would be to either replace the small resonator with a single longer resonator or try adding an additional resonator after the existing one. You would have to measure the distance between the flange on your downpipe and the start of the oval section of the exhaust to see what is feasible.

There are many, many threads on here about people trying to reduce the drone on their IPD exhaust, so a search should turn up some additional useful information about what has been tried and succeeded/failed.

If you want to look into the Helmholtz resonator option that sleepstate mentioned, you might find some useful information in these threads:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?562409-Suggestions-for-best-resonator-to-muffle-exhaust-drone

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?508897-CDN-XC90-s-build-thread&p=7410435&viewfull=1#post7410435

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?595913-Resonator-Muffler-to-eliminate-drone-(need-input)

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?531345-IPD-CAT-Back-Exhaust-Resonator-Replacement-with-a-Muffler

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?224553-Resonator-recommendations-for-3-quot-custom-exhaust

Here is one solution that CDN XC90 used on his XC90:

#9 · (Edited)
I'm dealing with the same problem. I swapped the resonator for a Vibrant muffler. It helped with the drone but I think my engine mounts need to be replaced.

However, the muffler is too heavy and it's sagging. :facepalm: It scrapes over bumps and curbs. I'm planning on replacing it with a Vibrant large diameter resonator.

#10 ·
Mine was fine on my S60R with the IPD catted downpipe... after replacing the cat once after it clogged, the replacement clogged again (confirmed by serious loss of boost until I disconnected the dp)...so I gutted the cat and it ran great. However, this resulted in some considerable drone. I don't know if those getting the drone have cats or not, but in my case it wasn't until I effectively deleted the cat.

I do have a second muffler that handles the passenger side exhaust exit since I have a dual/quad tip setup but it was opening the cat that lead to the drone. All said, my wife hates it but I have grown to love it...it just sounds too good on full tilt not to. I'm just that guy with the Volvo around here LOL.

#11 ·
The TME is the BEST solution, had the IPD and I'm so glad I sold it and went with the TME. I also dropped in Qmat sound deadening in the whole cabin and installed laminated windows which also help.

#12 ·
Stock exhaust with resonator delete. Doesn’t drone. Great with or without a downpipe. Sell the IPD stuff to someone who wants a loud ass car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I had the IPD exhaust too and like you, I loved the sound when I was "on it", however like you I couldn't stand the drone on the highway... What did I do? I sold my IPD exhaust and bought a TME ;)

#15 ·
I am still pleasantly surprised by how little drone there is with the Magnaflow setup on my car (from previous owner).

That said, if I were the OP I'd look at a variable muffler, something with a switch to shut it up on the highway or when you're leaving for work in the morning and don't want to piss off the neighbors, but growly when you want it.

#16 ·
I used a fairly large oval section Vibrant resonator in place of the ipd resonator. That resolved the majority of the drone. It's still a little drone-y but none of the really bad, resonant drone that was there with the ipd originally. I also liked how the bigger resonator reduced the volume somewhat. I replaced my downpipe at the same time and a high flow downpipe plus the ipd made the exhaust really loud initially.

#21 ·
Jw, do you have E5 Laminated Glass? Check an see. A good amount of 04's have them, that said I don't think the rear cabin windows were E5 an the rear drone is a lot more on the VR.

#20 ·
My driveway has a slight incline. I actually roll my car down it until it gets to the street before I fire it up in the morning since I leave extremely early and don't want to piss off the neighbors or wake my kids... gotta love it! :D

#23 ·
My problem seems to be a drone sound and vibration at idle. It goes away when I'm on the gas. Every time at a stoplight, I get this droning and vibration in my head that's makes me want to run the red light to get the drone to stop.

After some research, I believe my problem is caused by worn out engine mounts. So, I'm going to replace the mounts and the resonator.

The resonator and parts came in today! The pipe extension and clamps are not Vibrant. See pics.

#25 ·
Just get rid of it. You described the experience perfectly. Great when you want it, miserable when you don't.

#30 ·
I had the EST sport and even that was too loud on the highway. I have the EST touring and sure it's more bearable, but I dont get the burbles, bangs, and deep tone anymore. Im assuming if you quiet yours down you will also get the same results I have.

If that hemholtz resonator actually works....I want one.

#31 ·
Wow, this is surprising. I have the IPD exhaust, as well as the their downpipe, and it has been nothing short of fantastic. No drone. My S70 GLT (may it rest in peace), had a TME exhaust and that droned like crazy.
I've had the IPD exhaust on my R for over 10 years - I wonder if something changed in the design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.