SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

5th Time to Fix the Grinding Noise of the Sunroof

16K views 80 replies 22 participants last post by  GregK 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been to dealer for 5 times regarding the sunroof curtain grinding noise that I found out not long after the car been delivered. I have had the car for 1 year now and the interior liner has been tear down 3 times now, the problem still occurs and the noise is way louder than before, each time I have to left the car for two days to get it repaired, so far the frame has been replaced so as the roller curtain, however the problem still there, what is more frustrated is that, the safety belt at the rear is no longer retractable and also there are several dents on the interior liner, not mentioning the scratched A pillar and airbag logos, it is so frustrating, I am wondering is there any lemon laws in Australia like U.S customer had any advise on how to handle a case like this would be appreciated.:saber:

below is a video I record regarding the issue.

updated on what was damaged and the dealer deny most of the damage caused by them.

#76 ·
I just started a new thread and then found this thread.

I have an almost 2 year old 2018 V90CC. Since brand new I have had a funny noise, kind of a grinding when opening the sunroof shade. It got a little worse over time, but still operational. I finally mentioned something when I took the car in for second year service. I was told it needed to be replaced. After service the first day driving home I opened it and something snapped when it was closing and the entire thing fell behind me and obstructed my view.
Dealer told me the ordered a new one and it will be replaced.
I operated the car for about a month. After about 4 times of opening and closing the shade something snapped again and the entire thing is hanging down behind me.
To sum up I have been though 3 sunroof shades.

The dealer is very helpful and polite and professional.

I am not sure where to go from here. It is currently in service for the 4th one.

Should I be contacting Volvo corporate?

Am I in Lemon Law territory? I live in Los Angeles.

The car has now been out of service for close to a month total for various other problems. (battery failure when new, Engine mounts, door cable coming loose, trim on back of car coming loose, and the above sunroof shade problem)

I really do enjoy the car, but I am afraid I got the one off the line where the guys were sleeping on the job. I am just saying I am afraid to own out of warranty.

Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

#77 ·
I just started a new thread and then found this thread.

I have an almost 2 year old 2018 V90CC. Since brand new I have had a funny noise, kind of a grinding when opening the sunroof shade. It got a little worse over time, but still operational. I finally mentioned something when I took the car in for second year service. I was told it needed to be replaced. After service the first day driving home I opened it and something snapped when it was closing and the entire thing fell behind me and obstructed my view.
Dealer told me the ordered a new one and it will be replaced.
I operated the car for about a month. After about 4 times of opening and closing the shade something snapped again and the entire thing is hanging down behind me.
To sum up I have been though 3 sunroof shades.

The dealer is very helpful and polite and professional.

I am not sure where to go from here. It is currently in service for the 4th one.

Should I be contacting Volvo corporate?

Am I in Lemon Law territory? I live in Los Angeles.

The car has now been out of service for close to a month total for various other problems. (battery failure when new, Engine mounts, door cable coming loose, trim on back of car coming loose, and the above sunroof shade problem)

I really do enjoy the car, but I am afraid I got the one off the line where the guys were sleeping on the job. I am just saying I am afraid to own out of warranty.

Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
You are in lemon law territory and CA Lemon Law from my understanding is very pro-consumer. Here in FL we lemon lawed our 2017 XC90 and it was very close to the cutoff for lemon law. Volvo did right by us and bought the car back so we didn't have to go through the entire lemon law process. Also a couple of things to note, with the mileage usage calculation some states this starts at the first service and others it is the mileage at vehicle buy back. In my case our issues started at 200 miles and we had the sunroom / shade replaced in our XC90 four times and it never fixed it, plus some other issues. The final straw for us was the main screen restarting randomly / locking up and a broken A/C that quit working 20 mins into a 3 hour drive. Lastly, if you had a vehicle that you traded in for your Volvo you are entitled to the retail value of your trade in at the time you traded it in (this was a little known to most in FL but it got us a lot more money back from what we traded in). All in all be prepared for a process that can take up to three months from when Volvo agrees to buy back the car since they involve a third party (Stericycle) to complete the buy back process. I will say that our Volvo dealer was the best dealer we have ever worked with and Volvo corporate was also very responsive. Make sure to have all of your service invoices, and it made it easier where I also created an out of service spreadsheet that showed date in / out of service each time, what the issue was, was it resolved, and all of the mileage. Now we have a Tesla and while the service experience is not the same as Volvo (ie old loaners, long waiting times to get an appointment) the OTA updates are amazing and the electronics are blazing fast and always work. Also, the mobile service they provide is awesome (as long as the issue can be fixed by them, some service requires the actual service center).

#79 ·
Look up your states requirements we had to first send a certified form to Volvo and a state office. Due to the tightness to our claim (within weeks of lemon law expiring) we also contacted a lemon law lawyer who then took over the negotiations after we submitted the forms. Google your states lemon law and there will be information on it. Also the lemon law process is one that involves both corporate, the dealer (in case you don't have all the service invoices), and either yourself or lawyer.

#80 ·
Well, sorry to say we are having this similar issue with our MY16 XC90. Rusted curtain rails and motor. The dealer quoted $2,500.00 with parts and labor. They called my VIP extended warranty and they said it was a "rust issue" and declined to help pay anything.

The dealer suggested I call Customer Care and see where that gets me........any other suggestions or thoughts? I am 900 miles and 3 months out of the 50K original warranty. Go figure..... :(

This is actually our first big issue with either Volvo of ours, other than tires and routine maintenance issues. (Trying to spin it!!!)

#81 ·
I called Volvo Customer Care and initiated a claim this morning regarding the sunroof curtain, rails, and motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.