How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty

So maybe I am an idiot, but, in November of 06' my wife and I bought our first Volvo, an 05' S40 T5. We bought the car used obviously, but from a Volvo dealership. We were a little sketchy about buying the car, as it was used, with 15K miles on it, and the price was higher than private sellers. The salesman told us that the car was certified pre-owned, and came with a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty from the original sale date. This became a major selling point for us. Because the car had just been traded in it had no stickers on it yet verifying any of this, we simply took his word for it. When we went in to sign the papers to complete the sale, we met with a different individual, the sales manager. During the multiple signings, he had us sign the buyers guide, a piece of paper that is typically in the window, and indicates that the car still has a warranty. He wrote in lines for us to sign, and simply said, "this is just to confirm that you understand the warranty on this vehicle." We said yes, because we thought we did, and signed. I am trying to sell this car now, and I called the service department to get exact info on the warranty, and they told me that my warranty was the original in-service, not the certified pre-owned warranty. So I went back to all of my paper work on the car, and I find a copy of that piece of paper I signed. In small hand writing above where we signed, it said, Original In-Service, with the date of the original purchase. So after losing a night of sleep over this, I am still trying to figure out what to do. I have not called the dealership or the salesman yet. Basically, I trusted a car salesman and got the shaft. My fault, I know. But do I have a leg to stand on? Is there anything I can do? Anyone with any advice is welcome to comment. Thanks in advance.
      Sleepless in California

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty (CRRC)

Sorry to hear this. You can try calling VNA and see what they say. The big issue is that you have no documentation (VNA sends you the CPO warranty document a few weeks after the sale) that you accepted the CPO with the car. It's your word against their word, unfortunately. Usually you sign stuff with the finance person and not the sales manager. That's when they try to sell you all kinds of other insurances and warranties like VIP and LowJack, etc..

Again, try VNA but you probably won't get far with this unfortunately. But since you're selling the car, just sell it as is. You'll get the fair going price. Not everyone shops based on whether the car is CPO or not. If it's been serviced and well-maintained, that will be the selling point over a CPO.

If you are trying to get a major repair covered under what you thought was a CPO warranty then that's a different story. But you're selling it, so no big deal really.

"and the price was higher than private sellers".....the price will always be higher from a dealer than a private sale, CPO or not......

Re: How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty (vovofreek)

Basically, you paid for something that you thought you were getting (thus the high price) and didn't get it. You should definitely go back to the salesman and speak to him about it and inquire about the discrepancy. Then he has to lie to your face about what he told you. You can then make a (small) stink about it with the manager if you care to. You can at least let them know (in a nice way) that they are scum and that niether you nor anyone you know will ever buy a car from them again.

Then...if you like the car, and it's in fairly good condition (it does have low mileage after all), then just drive it! You may get more good years of trouble free driving out of it than you realize. Over the time left on the original warranty, you'll get a reasonable sense of whether the car is going to give you trouble or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty (Freeworld)

Quote, originally posted by CRRC »
      I am trying to sell this car now, and I called the service department to get exact info on the warranty, and they told me that my warranty was the original in-service, not the certified pre-owned warranty.

Quote, originally posted by Freeworld »
      Then...if you like the car, and it's in fairly good condition (it does have low mileage after all), then just drive it! You may get more good years of trouble free driving out of it than you realize. Over the time left on the original warranty, you'll get a reasonable sense of whether the car is going to give you trouble or not.

Sounds like an unfortunate situation you are in right now. If your salesperson is still working at the dealership (big if and not likely) he will undoubtedly not remember the context of a sales conversation from 2006. Since the only way to prove what you bought is what's written on the buyer's order and the signed contracts I really don't think you will get anywhere with your inquiry. If you approach it courteously and with professionalism you will absolutely get further than if you go in to it with a chip on your shoulder and accuse them of being scum.

Since you are selling the car I don't think you need to concern yourself with this though. It will probably be a lot of wasted energy and frustration. If you were planning on keeping the car and maintaining a relationship with the dealer there may be ways to get the warranty backed on to the car with a 30 day indemnification against breakdowns and claims. Since this will undoubtedly cost the dealer the expense of the CPO warranty ($950) it is not likely going to happen.

Buying a used car is still buyer beware and you need to be an educated consumer. Chances are the car you bought was reconditioned appropriately to the standards of the CPO program but the warranty was not applied due to the large amount of factory coverage still remaining on the car. Let's not all jump to conclusions that the dealer is shifty and looking to screw the public. There could have been an honest mistake made through a miscommunication between the salesperson and the sales manager or a clerical error on the administration of the sale reporting to Volvo Cars.

Probably best to move on, live and learn but let the dealership know what happened. Good luck.

Quote, originally posted by vovofreek »

Oops. I didn't notice the '06 purchase date

I agree then, you basically have no case 2 years later. Live and learn, you enjoyed the car for 2 years, sell it and be done with it. The extended warranty is not worth thousands to a prospective buyer because they can buy one for less. If you feel you need to have the warranty to sell the car, buy one for it that's transferable, but it's probably not the best business decision for you now.

Quote, originally posted by vovofreek »
      The big issue is that you have no documentation (VNA sends you the CPO warranty document a few weeks after the sale) that you accepted the CPO with the car.

Crap...I never got this. Hopefully I wasn't screwed the same way. Gonna have to call the dealership.

2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/[email protected], IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust
      2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE

Re: How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty (djkronik57)

Quote, originally posted by djkronik57 »

Crap...I never got this. Hopefully I wasn't screwed the same way. Gonna have to call the dealership.

Guys,

When you buy a car that is supposed to be a CPO, you MUST get some kind of documentation that the car is, indeed, certified. You do not have to wait two weeks nor walk away from the store without any docs.

Yannis

Re: How I got screwed out of my Volvo certified pre-owned warranty (KeystoneVolvo)

Good luck with that. They are going to say they never told you that and that's that. Even the paperwork you signed does not mention anything to do with the CPO.

I'm guessing unless this dealer is the greatest dealer ever and you've been a life long customer they are going to tell you to go pound sand.

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar

What dealer was it? Just curious since I live in your area?
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Quote, originally posted by CRRC »
      I trusted a car salesman and got the shaft.

It happens.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements