SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Key gut pics and possible keyless drive??

29K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  Tarsas 
#1 ·
Just had my spare key through a wash so I decided to break it open to make sure everything was still dry. So, camera being handy, pics for your enjoyment:

Remove blade and screw, gently pry body apart. You will end up with two halves as shown below.

Once you remove the circuit board, you can see the buttons and the plastic frame bracing it.

Luckily enough, there is a rubber gasket sealing both halves of the key, good enough to keep it dry during a wash and dry at least!!

Now, I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I saw a picture of a keyless drive S40, and all the difference I saw was a plastic knobby with the key end. So, I decided to try it out.

In car getting ready to stick battery less key in ignition.

Sweet Pickle Juice!!!! It works!!!!

Key plus key, still working!

Now it's cool and all but I already burst my bubble, cuz' even though I might be able to start it without the key in place, I'd still need to have it out to open the door.

Can anybody think of a auto door unlocker thingy (and none of that "buy yourself a car with it" stuff, I'm not doing it)???

If there were a way of doing it, the nub on the key would be able to be filed down or removed entirely I think. All I saw was hollow plastic filled with epoxy and no antenna connections.

Just a pipe dream, but would've been sweeet.

Modified by I Saw 50 at 12:56 PM 6-26-2008

See less See more
#28 ·
my car has keyless and it has like 5 antennas in the car...

if I'm on the left side my gf cannot open the passenger door before I open mine. It's a complete system.

I'm sure you can hack a keyless start, but you won't have the full keyless package unless you get a lot more stuff and programming.

#30 · (Edited)
Here's the Photo's from - Other Thread .

Yes , You can Start and walk away , but there is a Key missing Message and a small annoying Alarm , It's not to Loud .
( Locking while Running Not Sure ) haven't Tested that .

It will how even Drain Key-less Battery Faster . Your Volvo would be making this Sound going down the Highway ( Sure to be Spotted ) ;)

Just Installed more Ram & Higher rated Xeon Quad - went from 10,000 rpm to 2 X 15,000 running Raid .

KEY-LESS - Internals

Little Parts - You don't want to Lose : :)

#32 ·
I have tested yesterday and can'T lock the car.

so basically, if I let the car warm up (it was -17 celcius yesterday), I have to leave the doors unlocked and beeping sound, or unlocked with key inside and no beeping sound.

First scenario, anyone can steal stuff from the car, and the beeping tells them that the car is unlocked and ready to get stuff stolen from.
Second scenario, the car is unlocked AND can be driven away because the key is inside... but no beeping.

I really need to be able to lock the car and let it run. Maybe if I use the remote button, yesterday I have only tested with the door lock button, not the remote button. Or maybe if I use the key blade, but I don't see myself use a plastic key and remove the cover when it's -20 outside.

#33 ·
Do as I do and lock it with the blade key. Works fine unless they break a window.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#34 ·
^^^^+1. It is a pain but this is what I did when I lived further north.

Get in car
Close door
Start car
Unlock and then lock doors w/ door switch
Pull handle twice to get out
Then lock door with blade key.

With dark windows you can't even see that the key is in the ignition.

Like I said... a pain...

#36 · (Edited)
LOL for 2006-2007 I believe when it was Implemented , LOL can't even get close on a 2012 Toyota - Win !

So Called Key-less for Audi - Ha had to still stick the Dam Key in the Ignition , soooo what the Hell - If I have to Fish for the Dam Keys and put them in the Ignition -
that's Not Key-Less !

Volvo is Jump in and Drive , huge step towards personal safety .

#37 ·
What would be needed to swap keyless drive from one V50 to another v50? Both are 2010, the one with keyless is 2.4i and the one without is t5 rdesign.

My understanding is I need the 5 rke antennas, 4 door handles, and KVM from the 2.4i. Are the wiring harness connectors all there on non-keyless cars to plug all that in? Are keyless drive keys the same as regular ones? Any programming needed? Thanks

#41 ·
If someone does install this system or part of it, I want to be the first to know. I'm currently working on adding it to my vehicle one part at a time, even if I end up with my own variant of the total keyless drive system, it will still be worth it. I just have so much fun upgrading my car.

#42 ·
I have the key to my old 2005 s40 I wonder if I can hack something up with it a lot info on here for being a few years old lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

#43 ·
Recently had my key go through the wash. Can still get the car on but I believe the circuit board is fried (cannot lock/unlock with fob). I had ordered a spare I found on Amazon for $25 to be programmed if need be. Can I just switch out the circuit boards to see if it will lock and unlock or could I end up being towed to the stealership? They wanted $440 for a new key and programming.

#45 ·
Post pics, there are some EE's here and then tthere arre some people here that are non ee's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.