SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Trust the TPM system! Who to go to for a new tire?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jamesvolvo 
#1 ·
So, 8 weeks down the road and 2X in 2 weeks the tire pressure warning came on. Filled it the first time and found all the tires were set differently from when the car arrived from CA to NY. I reset everything last week and today the low tire warning came on again. I was about to say "who needs the TPMS" as I had problems with a faulty system in my first Touareg (the 2nd one is fine). Well, I checked and found a screw nicely seated in the tire that read really low last week.

Question: Could I go to any tire place to do replace this or should I make my first visit to a Volvo dealer in NJ? Remember, I have no dealer/service dept to turn to yet as I bought in CA. Thanks.

#2 ·
Re: Trust the TPM system! Who to go to for a new tire? (irbrenda)

If its the 18", chances are it will have to ordered by a tire store.
A lot of dealers have gotten into the tire biz because of this.
I'd call around and see what you find.

#3 ·
Re: Trust the TPM system! Who to go to for a new tire? (VolvoMax)

Yes, it's the Pirelli 18's, the summer tire. I have 400 miles. The tire place here has the tire and could put it on for me tomorrow. However, he just looked at the tire and said it could be patched from inside like new. I never had a patched tire and I'm not sure I want to now. I could try it and if I start losing air again, then I'd replace it. What do you think?

#4 ·

Quote, originally posted by irbrenda »
Yes, it's the Pirelli 18's, the summer tire. I have 400 miles. The tire place here has the tire and could put it on for me tomorrow. However, he just looked at the tire and said it could be patched from inside like new. I never had a patched tire and I'm not sure I want to now. I could try it and if I start losing air again, then I'd replace it. What do you think?

Well, that depends on where the hole is.
If it is near the sidewall, I wouldn't try it.
Otherwise, give it a shot. The tire is practically new anyway.
It would be a shame to have to buy a new one.

#5 ·
Re: Trust the TPM system! Who to go to for a new tire? (VolvoMax)

It's dead center, nowheres near the sidewall. I think it was spite work by a sick neighbor anyways. I'm still on the fence what to do. I might just spring for a new tire. I have the rest of the night to be sleepless about this.
Thanks for your input. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

#6 ·

I have had many nail and screw holes in tires patched, and have never had a problem with the patched tire afterwards. As a poster above said, you can only patch if the hole is in the tread area, and not in the sidewall.

Any tire store can do it. If you have a tire warranty that covers road hazards, (possibly from the dealer?), then the repair should be free. But it is not expensive even if you have to pay.

I have heard some tire dealers say that it is at least somewhat better to remove the tire and patch it from the inside. But I have also had tires patched "from the outside", using a plug that is pushed through and then pulled partly back out of the hole (using sort of an awl/hook tool). The plug material is soaked with some form of glue that helps with the seal. I've never had any post-patch slow-leak issues, either.

#7 ·

Remember, I have no dealer/service dept to turn to yet as I bought in CA. Thanks.

WHO CARES??? I am surprised you keep bringing that up...it should not matter where you bought the car...keep looking for a Service Dept. that will treat you well and will appreciate your business.

You made a conscious decision to not buy locally. That is fine. If you feel that "ostracized", because of the buying decision you made, then I would reconsider (for future purchases) or decide (as I wrote above) to not worry about it and find the right Service people for your needs.

Yannis

#8 ·

It's dead center, nowheres near the sidewall. I think it was spite work by a sick neighbor anyways. I'm still on the fence what to do. I might just spring for a new tire. I have the rest of the night to be sleepless about this.
Thanks for your input. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

You do not need a new tire, if the puncture is right on the center of the tread.

Yannis

#9 ·
Re: Trust the TPM system! Who to go to for a new tire? (KeystoneVolvo)

Actually, I went to Volvo of Edison in NJ today and they were excellent. I will continue to use them.

They said I did not need a new tire but I decided to buy one and they plugged the other one, which I will keep as a spare. In fact, they charged less than the discount tire places for the new tire and they plugged the spare at no charge.

They also said that after a few visits, they will give me a loaner car when needed.

#10 ·

I get a lot of punctures (possibly because my wife drives too close to the nearside
), and i've never minded getting them plugged when possible. The UK regulations are pretty strict - it's got to be a small straight hole, I think, and in the centre 50% of the tread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.