SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Finally lowered the R... my noise woes continue...

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  chinaonnitrous1 
#1 ·
Somewhere from the front right, we CANNOT figure out where the noise is coming from, but when I drive around in comfort and sport, there are HUGE bangs and rattles when I hit little ruts and bumps in the road... when I put it into ADVANCED, the noises go away... Everything is tight, double and triple checked..... I have a little play in the control arm bushings but we have pretty much ruled that out.....

I've searched, and read, and searched, and read... but have not found any answers...

The only think I can think of is that the strut may be blown? how do I know if it is? I really hope it isin't but I have to figure this out... any ideas?

#3 ·
Re: Finally lowered the R... my noise woes continue... (gradyjoseph)

I get some squeaking on big bumps from the rear left suspension. I've had it checked twice and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I suspect the spring is just rubbing against something causing the squeaking. I also get a clunking noise when going up a driveway at an angle and I think it's also due to the spring getting caught on something and then when I clear the driveway it releases and causes a clunk.

#4 ·
Re: Finally lowered the R... my noise woes continue... (PhilUp)

thats what im thinking as well, i would like to find a permanent fix for this though, each time i get it aligned i tell them about it and it doesnt make the noises for a few weeks but it always comes back http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

#8 ·
Dissassemble & Reassemble after a week.

Chances are your rubber spring seats weren't in the right place, and self-twisted themselves.

That happend to me, after a week the spring was still in the right place (aligned at the bottom metal strut mount) It was just the rubber on top that wasn't sitting properly. It had twisted and the spring wasn't sitting properly.

#9 ·
Re: Finally lowered the R... my noise woes continue... (AHI)

Two things come to my mind: LINKS: Either loose or one/both are bad. Tighten, tighten, and then tighten. If you have QBM's, throw them out and get IPD's. SUM: When you lower, you must re-SUM the car. Was this done? The SUM calibrations change w/pressing the buttons, so that is why I think this might be the culprit. If you're not able to get a SUM to load, slightly raise the REAR of the car about 1", and then perform the re-SUM. This is a known issue w/some lowered cars & re-SUMMING.

#10 ·
I just want to add that I can deal with squeaks, this noise I'm talking about is an incredibly loud clunk, almost like the wheel is loose and is about to fall off... BANG... only in comfort mode and sport mode...

Car was "SUM'd" at the dealer.... She drove beautifully for the first 200kms, but started loosening up and ineveitably started making these horrible noises...

#13 ·
Re: (Token)

Did you replace the spring seats when you put on new springs?

#14 ·
Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
Did you replace the spring seats when you put on new springs?

Bad spring seats would be my guess as well.

#16 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

IPD just came out with replacement spring seats, made of a superior rubber and center design than stock. I'd check that out first and if no joy, then get stock XC90 front spring seats, which fit our cars and apparently are more beefy. I think the IPD version is better than the XC90's.

#17 ·
Hey guys... I'm not dealing with your average run of the mill clunks... this noise is actually so hard and loud that my wife refuses to sit in the car. Spring seats were not changed, installer said they looked pretty good....

Tonight I actually drove it around on the highway at lower speeds and noticed that the front right of the car was not absorbing the bumps like the other three corners... I'm after a bump, (loud noise), the front right goes up higher than the front left, and comes down harder...

Am I looking at a blown strut?

#19 ·
Re: (AHI)

Quote, originally posted by AHI »
I'm being told a strut can cost me up to $800.00... is this true? I can't believe I just dumped $3K into this car and now this...

Maybe with labor included. I paid around 540.00 for mine when it went out. Add the mark up JRL warned about and I think it might be 600.00 now.

BTW, 3K is a drop in the bucket in the modding game.

Jack up the car, reach in and look for leakage out of the strut seal.

Also, take a peak here:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=68014

#20 ·
Re: (AHI)

Hey guys... I'm not dealing with your average run of the mill clunks... this noise is actually so hard and loud that my wife refuses to sit in the car. Spring seats were not changed, installer said they looked pretty good....

Tonight I actually drove it around on the highway at lower speeds and noticed that the front right of the car was not absorbing the bumps like the other three corners... I'm after a bump, (loud noise), the front right goes up higher than the front left, and comes down harder...

Why dont you jack up the car, and possibly take that wheel off and just stare at the spring/strut combo.

See if you notice anything weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.