how is it connected to right drive axle

I am trying to understand how when the trans to angle gear splined
      sleeve breaks how is FWD still intact so what is the connection to the
      the axle shafts and how strong is it

Thank you

Modified by Helmut Ranff at 5:37 PM 8-10-2008

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Transmission output to left axle, angle gear and right axle (Helmut Ranff)

I think that the sleeve is concentric to the shaft that drives the FWD (?)

I am slightly lost on exactly what you're looking for..? Most AWD cars are capable of running in a 2WD format with one of the driveshafts removed (some even 0WD as they use two driveshafts to drive two differentials).

Now I think I see what you're getting at. I believe the transmission sends a gearing ratio to an internal differential of sorts, which then drives the two front wheels via the front axles. The angle gear then drives (though the same internal differential, or another internal diff?) the prop shaft, which then goes to the rear diff/Haldex unit that we all know and love, which then drives the rear two axles.

You know most of this (if not all of this) already, but is that what you were referring to? When the Haldex unit is engaged, it "robs" power from the front wheels (I'd imagine equally from both front axles), and that power is of course put to the rear axles... so as long as the prop shaft and Haldex unit are hooked up, there is some power being robbed from the front two axles.

FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Transmission output to left axle, angle gear and right axle (AthruC)

If the spline you speak of has the teeth sheared off, FWD will work, 4WD will not.
      The Right Axle shaft goes all the way through the angle gear and into the trans diff.
      Or at least I think thats the way I remember it.
      Makes a very bad noise similar to monkeys tossing dung at a spinning fan and screaming as it flies back at them.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Re: Transmission output to left axle, angle gear and right axle (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »

The Right Axle shaft goes all the way through the angle gear and into the trans diff.

Yes, they are two separate entities (so to say), and the front axle is driven either right next to or through the angel gear. There are quite a few cars out there that will make you do a double take, with axles going through oilpans and other oddities.

FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

Re: Transmission output to left axle, angle gear and right axle (Oceans60R)

Thanks for the dung imagery. It is quite powerful. I guess I am searching
      how once the splined sleeve is stripped does the right axle still work. The
      only way it seems to work is if the bevel gear sleeve is outside the shaft
      for the right axle. The sleeve that strips and makes the bevel gear non functional is very large so if the two shafts are one-within- the other, the axle shaft- shaft is most likely inside the bevel gear shaft.

It has been described as a hollow shaft and this would make sense. The
      axle shaft as even a blue tongued skink will tell you is solid so that also makes sense.

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »
      If the spline you speak of has the teeth sheared off, FWD will work, 4WD will not.
      Or at least I think thats the way I remember it.
      Makes a very bad noise similar to monkeys tossing dung at a spinning fan and screaming as it flies back at them.

That pic is a bit hard to see the exact workings of the front axle.
      I will try to locate a better image of the workings but Volvo is not known for its technical imagery.
      But I confirmed today that the Right axle does indeed pass all the way through the angle gear and into the front diff, while the front diff transmits torque through the splined coupler to the angle gear and then to the center driveshaft and on to the Haldex unit.
      Truly smashing info
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements