Mn R guys
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Mn R guys

Mn R guys

Hey guys!
      Just picked up my new 2004 S60R and was wondering if there are alot of Minnesota guys on here! I have seen a couple but just wanted to officially say hi and hopefully have a chance to meet up with some of you guys in the future!
      Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

MN here my boy. Welcome to SS and congrats on the purchase

There is about 5 or 6 MN guys that frequent this forum on a regular basis.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

By the way what color is it exterior/interior, options etc? There are some important things to do to your R right away if they haven't been done yet. Anyways here is the list of MN guys I know that are on here.
      -Hoagrod (Me)
      -AbsolutZero
      -atacamaRfan
      -Minn R
      -Warpedcow
      -S60R MN
      -Mash (but if I'm correct he sold his recently)

Re: Mn R guys (RAndrewR)

Quote, originally posted by RAndrewR »
      Hey guys!
      Just picked up my new 2004 S60R and was wondering if there are alot of Minnesota guys on here! I have seen a couple but just wanted to officially say hi and hopefully have a chance to meet up with some of you guys in the future!
      Andrew

welcome and congrats on your new purchase.

you should post some details on your new ride. how do you like it so far?

hoagrad is spot on by mentioning a few things you should do asap. one of the easiest and a potential expensive repair preventer would be removing your exhaust bracket. do some searching, and if you can find it there is some great info on here from very knowledgeable people on this board.

-ryan

'05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

I'm here!

Welcome

Yay I have new fRiend.

Ahaha J/K - Where in Minneapolis? Im in uptown, if you frequent the 'Mall' Area you will often see my R parked out there!

Currently: 2004 S60 R GT Black Saph - Mileage: 69502 as of 7/10/2013
      Sold: 1992 960 with the inline
      Sold: 1994 850

I am here also. Where are you going to have it serviced? Borton Volvo has a tech, Mike, that owns a V70R. He is very good.
      Enjoy the car and let us know if you have any questions.
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

Re: (hoagrod)

Quote, originally posted by hoagrod »

-Hoagrod (Me)
      -AbsolutZero
      -atacamaRfan
      -Minn R
      -Warpedcow
      -S60R MN
      -Mash (but if I'm correct he sold his recently)

There's also "Our R". "JMN" used to be around too but he sold his last year.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

Re: Mn R guys (SKYKNG)

Quote, originally posted by SKYKNG »
      I am here also. Where are you going to have it serviced? Borton Volvo has a tech, Mike, that owns a V70R. He is very good.

You mean "Mike Deblock"? He's the rat bastard who told me my 10mm spacers voided my wheel bearing warranty. He's also the one who told me that the water the got into my headlights during a heavy rainstorm must have been caused by me driving into a lake, rather than a flaw in Volvo parts or design so they wouldn't cover that under warranty (i drove through a few puddles, nothing crazy, and the other dealer, Kline, did not hesitate to fix my headlights). He also told me that my part of my AWD failure was caused by me driving into a lake and so that wasn't covered by warranty (again the other dealer, Kline, did not hesitate to fix this problem).

Personally, I would avoid Mike Deblock @ Borton like the plague. Borton used to have a good tech, Dan Keiser, but he left over a year ago.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

Re: Mn R guys (Warpedcow)

Im here and R'less. But I still love coming to this site to help out the others that are just starting the R adventure! Welcome and good luck finding anyone that is compitent in the Volvo dealers. They are a pain in the a$$

Re: Mn R guys (Warpedcow)

So who is the tech to get and where,

perhaps we can all pitch in for some beer to ensure said mechanic will touch our cars only....

"I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Wow love that there is tons of guys on this site from MN! well.... to start off the R is the dark silver with dark blue interior. It is an 04, has nav (which the dealer had no idea ) and is a 6 speed manual! other than that it was well taken care of and i got the 100K mile warranty that i wanted so i am totally happy! I have a 350Z heavily modified and needed something i could drive in the winter so i began looking last spring. Both my best friends have subarus and i personally can't stand them and A4's are like butt holes, everyone has one! So..... I decided on the R! So far i am absolutely loving it! As far as i can tell no modifications have been done to the car so i am open to any suggestions or helpful hints as this is my first turbo car. I'm more used to that NA feel haha, anyways anything i should do right away? Thanks for all of your help and i look forward to meeting you guys very soon!
      Andrew

Re: Mn R guys (SKYKNG)

I live over on Nokomis right by the 5-8 club!

You mean "Mike Deblock"? He's the rat bastard who told me my 10mm spacers voided my wheel bearing warranty. He's also the one who told me that the water the got into my headlights during a heavy rainstorm must have been caused by me driving into a lake, rather than a flaw in Volvo parts or design so they wouldn't cover that under warranty (i drove through a few puddles, nothing crazy, and the other dealer, Kline, did not hesitate to fix my headlights). He also told me that my part of my AWD failure was caused by me driving into a lake and so that wasn't covered by warranty (again the other dealer, Kline, did not hesitate to fix this problem).

Personally, I would avoid Mike Deblock @ Borton like the plague. Borton used to have a good tech, Dan Keiser, but he left over a year ago. I live over on Nokomis right by the 5-8 club!

Mike Deblock is a worthless D-bag. I took my R to him right after I got it to get the rain-squeal fixed, and I had some other concerns too...typical worry wart about noises and things I've read but it wasn't a ridiculous laundry list Its like he made it a point to prove me wrong and challenge every thing I brought up....before he had even seen the car.

My favorite was when I brought up the 'rain squeal' as its defined on this forum, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said 'Rain Squeal??'' I explained I had seen a TNN on a forum for a fix and he replied 'we don't use the internet here' -- after explaining it a little further his response was 'oh, you mean wet weather expansion noise'.... WTF Mike Deblock!?!?!

So I walked out of Borton going 'great, this dude doesn't like it when a guy does his own research to try and identify a problem so he's going to prove me wrong'. I'll go to Kline's next, or my indy mechanic Glasgow's Volvo right down the way on University - my experience with Glasgow's so far has been a great one and I know several others that use them.

Aside from that - I'm in MN and new to this board as well....just happy someone shares the same opinion about Deblock as I do.

Modified by MinnesotaR at 7:18 PM 9-23-2008

Yeah I wanna hear peoples service recommendations as well as anything i should know about my R right away to do! couldn't find this exhaust bracket you guys spoke of earlier, not really sure what i am looking for? I have access to a lift and full air tools in my garage so i am pretty handy just need a little help with a link or maybe if someone is willing to meet up and show me? AtacamaRfan what are some things you spoke of earlier that you would recommend doing? Thanks for all your help!
      Andrew

Re: Mn R guys (MinnesotaR)

Quote, originally posted by MinnesotaR »

I'll go to Kline's next, or my indy mechanic Glasgow's Volvo right down the way on University - my experience with Glasgow's so far has been a great one and I know several others that use them.

Modified by MinnesotaR at 7:18 PM 9-23-2008

Although I am not a current R owner, I also find Glasgow Automotive (740 University Ave) to be top notch. My parents have taken their Volvo's there for years and I have done the same. Both Mike (the owner) and his son by the same name are extremely honest and knowledgeable. Their tech turnover is quite low too. Just a great place to take your Volvo!

RAndrewR,

It's a silver bracket over the exhaust, that is kind of shaped like a "U" just infront of the rear wheels in the middle of the car. Its about 2-3 inches in length.

at the top right of this page click the word search and type in exhaust bracket and click the radio button labeled archived content. You will find pictures of it. Then again it may already be gone from the previous owner. Let us know if you need any other help.

Hoagrod (Evan)

Sweet thanks hoagrod! Looks like i need to do this JRL mod too! void any warranties? Anything else i should do? The Blitz boost guage looks nice but if someone else has experience in wiring them i have a nice cold case of beer waiting for them

It should not void any warranties, it will help keep you from spending a lot of money in the future if you were to hit a bump and push that bracket into the resonator/exhaust which would push into the drive shaft which then would cost a pretty penny. Doing the JRL mod gives you more clearance in between the drive shaft and exhaust. Removing the resonator also gives your exhaust a little bit better of a growl too. 2 for 1 deal! Did you find the bracket?

Oh forgot to ask, how are the tires on your car? Are they the pirellis? Be ready to spend a quite a bit of money on tires, they're expensive for this car at least for me anyways. The pirellis run for about $275 a tire. Make sure your tires are in good shape also and that they match, avoid mix and match on the tires. There is more info on tires to in the search. I'm pretty much a beginner on this car too, so my knowledge is almost virgin-like, but what I've learned so far is through searching and asking the right questions.

the tires that came on the car are kumho extas and they look fairly new and have lots of tread life so I guess i got lucky! As for tire price, my tires on my Z are like 330 a piece so 275 sounds like a bargain haha. I think i found the bracket so that is coming off after i get done with class this afternoon! as for the JRL mod, anybody know a reputable muffler shop i can get this done at?
      Thanks
      Andrew

Re: (RAndrewR)

as for the JRL mod, anybody know a reputable muffler shop i can get this done at?

Any shop can do it, it's the easiest exhaust job ever. I used Midas. An indie shop will probably be a little cheaper, but whatever.

As for other mods, consider an RKelly CAI, maybe try to pick one up used from MASH or the other former R owners in the area. My CAI came from JMN's R.

Any shop should do it fairly cheep. Shouldn't cost more than $100 dollars to do it. They just take out the resonator and put a stainless steel straight pipe in there. So any exhaust shop, but don't pay more than $100 dollars. Better the shop = better the weld, but you almost never see the weld anyways so along as it doesn't leak.

im glad there is now an owner with a lift in MN

I had both my previous cars done locally and didnt have many problems.

My biggest complaint about them was with my 850.

I brought it in before driving 5 hours back to school on I-90 south toward chicago. I noticed the brakes were really soft and I couldnt figure out what was going on. As I pulled into my parking spot, i had ZERO brakes.

I literally slid into the stall and pulled the e-brake and the tires hit the stopper and I kinda just sat there going "poop".

I had the car towed 45 minutes away to the closest place that did volvos. They told me the entire brake assembly needed to be replaced. The cylanders had completely failed and I was lucky I didnt get killed on the interstate.

Low and behold, not 24 hours earlier, The initial shop said that the car was in perfect condition.

We paid 7500 for that 850 in 2004, dropped close to 7000$ in repairs, and sold it for 1k.

Needless to say, I got fuc-ked on that on that car, which was really frustrating since our family has gone through 7 volvos from them in the last 25 years.

240 - dad
      245 - dad
      760 - dad/mom
      V70R - dad/mom
      960 - dad/me/sister
      850 - me
      S60R - me

Modified by AbsolutZer0 at 12:02 AM 10-9-2008

Re: (RAndrewR)

anybody know a reputable muffler shop i can get this done at?

I've taken my Saab to The Wonderful Muffler Man on Rice Street - a buddy had taken his Saab there as well. Its a dirty little place and the guy that runs it looks like he's from ZZTop, but they did good work and the welds looked great.

I needed a flex pipe welded in and it was $110 opposed to other quotes of $250-330.

The Borton that Mike Deblock works at is the one in Golden Valley off of 394.

Well, just took the bracket off a little while ago and I am sure glad i did! there were a couple of scrapes on it but no serious damage so I am happy nothing further will come of it! Next i am off to the muffler shop So far I am loving the car and can't wait to see what it is like in the snow! I live really close to the Borton on Lyndale so if this Mike Deblock is out in GV am I in the clear to get my car serviced at the Lyndale Borton? Also, when turning my front wheel sharp they sometimes make a rubbing sound and it is rather emberassing. Any way to solve this problem? Wheel spacers? what did you guys do? Thanks Again!
      Andrew

alot of the guys have put on 5mm spacers, some even gone 10mm.

I think it was Hoagrod who had the dealer tell him they couldnt cover his warranty on the wheel bearing issue because of spacers.

I am not 100% on that though.

Whats embarrassing is if you end up with brake squeal like mine. Ugh.

Kline volvo told me that if there's evidence of spacers it might void the warranty, but when I was just there last Friday I was asking them about the S60 with the 20" heicos and they said it didn't need spacers. I'm so confused with spacers and everything. RAndrewR as far as the wheel rub according to volvo is inherant to the 18" wheel. Your options are getting wheel spacers and when you go into service it take them off so it doesn't void the warranty. Also talk to your dealer as they may be mod friendly and not care about spacers. I just don't want to take them off everytime I go service my car. Also you can add shims to the steering stops which Kline volvo did for me and it helped. My tires that I just bought Goodyear Eagle F1 have a wider shoulder and tend to rub a little more than stock pirellis. Just a quirk with the car, you'll get used to it.

I have the 17's and they still rub! Drives me nuts, oh well guess i wil have to get used to it!

RAndrewR i think I may have seen you. Ar eyou driving a black S60R without the front "winglets?"

Re: (S60R MN)

No its the Dark silver! I know there is one without the winglets over by Pearl park that maybe you saw? His car inspired me to get mine after driving past it every morning and grinning Any of you guys planning on going to the HIN show this saturday? I am entering my Z along with a couple other heavily modified Z's. If any of you are down there stop by and say hi if you see me! Here is the Z, still waiting for a nice day to wax up the R really good and snap some pics!

Re: (S60R MN)

Quote, originally posted by S60R MN »
      RAndrewR i think I may have seen you. Ar eyou driving a black S60R without the front "winglets?"

when/where?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast