Mn R guys - Page 11
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Mn R guys

I still have a headache. Thanks J. Walker.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

anybody put pics up yet?

Re: (RAndrewR)

Dont know if anyone took Pics.....

Did someone? I was getting my daughter a blanket at ikea....it was cold!

JJ

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

anybody?

I took some pictures...

gotta figure out how to post them though, as they are HUGEEE

post em up come on!!!!!

man our MN R thread died, where is everybody? I'm loving the R in the snow! lets get a winter meet planned out and have some fun driving in the snow! anybody up for it? i know the subaru guys meet at firestone every friday night to go mess around if it snows. anybody?

Re: (RAndrewR)

I still have my ears on. I was really hoping to see a few picks from the IKEA rodeo but oh well. Have a good one.

-bhames

Re: (bhames)

Finally got my camera cord!!!
      These are just a couple of quick shots I took as I was leaving. This was back at the group meet in the fall.
      Claim your cars!!

This is mine
      This is my winter setup.

nice! anybody got picks of the ikea meet?

Here are my ikea meet pictures.

Quick and maybe dumb question.

Do any of you guys have serious trouble with your windshield washer nozzles freezing up? I'm using the good windshield wash, and the other day by making out with my car and french kissing my nozzles I was able to get them to free up and work again...but tonight no go, no matter how much I tried sweet talking them. So I'm wondering if I've got other problems....don't see any fluid dripping so I don't think a hose has popped.

Just thought I'd ask.

no problems with mine and it sits outside all winter...

Also, im rarely on SS now because its blocked at work. Im making an effort to hop on when im home

And so far my General UHPs and the 18" pegs are doing 'okay' in the snow. Ive found driving to be very fun. I did a 2.8 mile lap around lake of the isles, lots of turns, at about 4 AM the night it snowed, friday. It was fun. never lost control. Map of the lake:

Currently: 2004 S60 R GT Black Saph - Mileage: 69502 as of 7/10/2013
      Sold: 1992 960 with the inline
      Sold: 1994 850

my goodyear eagle F1 all seasons are rolling through the snow no problem. Winter tires are not necessary in my opinion. I can't afford the snow tires anyways but I'm very impressed with the all season. I watch front wheel drive cars just spin while i whip through the intersections.

a brand spanking new WRX Wagon flew past me on my way downtown on thursday. we were round the corner turn on LaSalle a block before 12th and the guy went inside lane to try and get position on me for the next block which allows parking in the right lane. We came around the corner and with 1000 feet before the light i realized it was changing to red (duh, walk signs were blinking)..

The MORON didnt allow his car to slow down naturally and slammed on his brakes, which made me slam mine. I came to a FAST stop (gotta love brembos) and i was still in my lane.

The A-hole in his WRX wagon lost his back end (which doesnt make a ton of sense....) and spun 180 degrees to face me in my lane. He looked all perplexed and tried to turn his car to the right (my left) which resulted in him pulling his car into oncoming traffic. He forced a 328i onto the sidewalk and about 6 feet from a bridge abutment (sp?) and nearly had his front end taken off by a tahoe.

So far I have no qualms over my General UHPs and 18" Pegs in the snow!

Well guys...with a pending divorce coming up, I can't afford a Titan, 3 bedroom house, and a S60R on my salary...I struggle with giving up the R but the truck makes more sense

Wrong, the R makes more sense. Better gas mileage, better looking, and you get to meet with MN volvo guys. We haven't even got the volvo guys together to suck some suds yet. Think very hard on your decision.

I have Dunlop SP Winter Tires and Just love them.... But , its the "first" set of actual "WINTER" tires I have driven on. so dont really know how to rate them , but havn't yet (unless intended) spun.

Re: (AbsolutZer0)

Wow ,

I had a WRX on Friday that was just on my tail , and tried pushing, came along me and just started accelerating HARD! , at the traffic light he was ReVing etc.... this was in Eden Prairie.

I would have liked to go at it! , but I have a bit of a disposition with my nice "W" plate.... so rather no chances (for now). Seems like the WRX guys are a bit "tansy" !

J

Re: (hoagrod)

First..I am not wrong. Do you know my situation? 2 ATV's, a boat, and two pit bull mix dogs. Will that fit in the volvo? Plus, I don't care about gas. Sure I'll miss the "R" and the MN peeeps, but that is if I even dump it. Dumping it will be motivation for me to buy a M5.

You do what you want, I was simply joking around.

Re: (AbsolutZer0)

Quote, originally posted by AbsolutZer0 »

And so far my General UHPs and the 18" pegs are doing 'okay' in the snow. Ive found driving to be very fun. I did a 2.8 mile lap around lake of the isles, lots of turns, at about 4 AM the night it snowed, friday. It was fun. never lost control.

Hopefully most of the time you were powersliding, yes?

Lots of empty windy streets around here got drifted upon last night in the 5+ inches of snow we got. Was falling too fast so they left most roads unplowed.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Winter Driving

Ok. So I need someone to level set my expectations as to driving the R in snow. Prior to the R, I had a Jeep with Blizzaks that would go through and over anything less than the size of Buck Hill. It would accelerate almost like on drive pavement allowing me to blow past everything at stop lights. With the R (equipped with Dunlop Winter SPs), it moves through the snow relatively well compared to other cars but nothing close to the Jeep. So do I have my expectations too high for the AWD system in the R?

-bhames

This is my first AWD anything and I have all seasons on. Mine goes through snow with ease so far. Any stop light or stop sign i'm easily the first one through the intersection. I have a steep drive way and I can start from the bottom at a dead stop and easily make it up. I couldn't even make it up my drive way last year with a front wheel drive car in the snow. I'm very pleased with the performance in the snow. It exceeds my expectations. I can only imagine what it would be like with snow tires on, go through anything.

Hoagrod- I'm just bitter about having to decide. It sucks.

Re: Winter Driving (bhames)

I live in duluth, and as you probably know we have some pretty good hills here. I have no trouble in the snow and on the hills. I've got conti winter contacts. I feel like I could get through pretty much anything. You might play around with switching the Trac. Control off. I found I like driving in the snow with the trac. reduced rather than on.

My previous vehicle was a 2 wheel drive truck, so i guess anything would feel alot better.

Re: Winter Driving (bhames)

Quote, originally posted by bhames »
      Ok. So I need someone to level set my expectations as to driving the R in snow. Prior to the R, I had a Jeep with Blizzaks that would go through and over anything less than the size of Buck Hill. It would accelerate almost like on drive pavement allowing me to blow past everything at stop lights. With the R (equipped with Dunlop Winter SPs), it moves through the snow relatively well compared to other cars but nothing close to the Jeep. So do I have my expectations too high for the AWD system in the R?

If the Jeep is heavier than the R, it will do better in the snow, given equal tires. But I'm guessing the tires weren't equal. The diameter of the Jeep's tires were probably much bigger than the Rs, which is a huge advantage in snow. Also, if the snow is deep enough that the R starts plowing, then of course it will start having lots of trouble moving - the R doesn't have all that much ground clearance. And of course, the electronic "LSD" on the R is no match for the locking diffs I'm guessing your Jeep probably had.

That said, I find the R with good snow tires to be a match for pretty much any other AWD sedan.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Re: Winter Driving (Minn R)

Quote, originally posted by Minn R »
      You might play around with switching the Trac. Control off. I found I like driving in the snow with the trac. reduced rather than on.

DSTC ON tends to cut throttle too much when going through deeper snow, especially in 2nd gear and up. DSTC REDUCED lets you power through snow drifts better IMHO. It also lets you have a bit more sideways fun.

Here is my best take on it. When i accelerate hard in the snow with the DSTC ON, i get partial drift out of the back end but it is VERY controllable, moreso than my FWD or my old RWD 960 which i was a pro at drifting on loose gravel

When given the appropriate steer and engine control, even in automatic mode, i can get that sweet heavy ass of the R outside and really initiate some good power slides, and its a TON of fun...

btw... i owned a ford f250 at a stoplight in the snow. I wasnt racing, but he was trying to get in front to beat traffic in the right lane. Sucker.

Sorry for the off topic question but...

Where would you take a v70r for a honest, pre purchase inspection in the metro area?

Borton?
      Klein?
      Independent?

Again, sorry for the hijack. I may join you guys if things work out.

Thanks.

I would most likely bring it to an Independent as a dealership may not have readily available openings to check out a car. It's tough to say with the dealerships because there has been problems with both of those dealerships that R owners have talked about. I fortunately have had pretty good luck with kline volvo so far. Don't worry about the hijacking of the thread, it's just good to see another potential R owner in MN. Good luck with the purchase.

Maybe I should have asked for a Name of an Independent. There is a guy here in Eden Prairie who works from his home, but I am not sure he has the newer diagnostic stuff. I do not know if that is necessary. I am looking for someone who is familiar with the R and its "issues".
      Thanks.

May I advise you ask questions on here? You will find more information on this forum than you would any dealer. Just provide your make, model, year, options, and concerns you may have and they will get answered. They will advise things to look for also. Where are you looking to buy the R from? Private? Dealer? I think if you go back a few pages in this thread one of the MN guys provided a good indepent dealer.

Evan(hoagrod)

oh , If u know the guy in Eden Prairie , PLEASE post his details! , Another potential R in EP ? Nice......

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast