Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Mn R guys

Re: (MinnesotaR)

Quote, originally posted by MinnesotaR »
      Just got my car back from Kline Volvo.

They were able to diagnose a couple of problems that Borton could not.

Good to hear. Maybe I was just super unlucky there my first time.

I also have resonator delete, honestly I wish it was louder. I think it's ZERO louder unless you stand on it, and even then, maybe only 5-10% louder in the car? Almost more growl than more sound too.

Seriously, don't wait to hear someone elses just get it done.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: (MinnesotaR)

Quote, originally posted by MinnesotaR »
      Just got my car back from Kline Volvo.

They were able to diagnose a couple of problems that Borton could not.

I'm getting a new steering rack/gear to solve the creaking front end.

I'm also getting new rear bushings to help reduce some of the side-hop.

Huh, borton is doing my rear bushings as well, they've gotten the wrong parts twice already. I ordered a week ahead of time and i assume i'll be without my car for a week. Hope your parts order goes better on those rear bushings.

'05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Re: (Warpedcow)

Quote, originally posted by Warpedcow »

I also have resonator delete, honestly I wish it was louder. I think it's ZERO louder unless you stand on it, and even then, maybe only 5-10% louder in the car? Almost more growl than more sound too.

Seriously, don't wait to hear someone elses just get it done.

good news, I wanted to avoid hearing it all the time when crusing long distances, sounds like it will be perfect for me. Going to find a place and have it done when I get my car back. thanks for the info warpedcow.

Where do you track btw? Do you fly through tires?

"I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

atacama, let me know if you find a good shop.
      Currently: 2004 S60 R GT Black Saph - Mileage: 69502 as of 7/10/2013
      Sold: 1992 960 with the inline
      Sold: 1994 850

Re: (AbsolutZer0)

Quote, originally posted by AbsolutZer0 »
      atacama, let me know if you find a good shop.

will do, my brother is going look up a reference or two he has-I've yet to get all the details.

usually he does his own work on his cars (merkur, subaru and recently aquired alfa romeo milano),, but I know he takes his stuff elsewhere when he needs something done he can't do himself or doesn't want to spend the time doing himself.

well, im bringing the car into Borton tomorrow to get my sunroof checked out so i hope they impress me otherwise its off to Kline! I hope they do okay cuz it is so close to my house but I won't put up with any crap! the guys at Feldmann Nissan are some of the greatest service guys i have ever met and i would recommend them to anyone. Needless to say, Borton has some big shoes to fill so I will let you guys know my experience. Walked in today and saw a black R getting serviced so I guess i won't be the only one! wish me luck!

Re: (RAndrewR)

Quote, originally posted by RAndrewR »
      well, im bringing the car into Borton tomorrow to get my sunroof checked out so i hope they impress me otherwise its off to Kline! I hope they do okay cuz it is so close to my house but I won't put up with any crap! the guys at Feldmann Nissan are some of the greatest service guys i have ever met and i would recommend them to anyone. Needless to say, Borton has some big shoes to fill so I will let you guys know my experience. Walked in today and saw a black R getting serviced so I guess i won't be the only one! wish me luck!

if you go to lyndale, see if you see my '05 in the shop as you drive in, it should be as they have the rear suspension ripped apart...

saw it! car looks great! minus the wheels are off lol The service lady just called me and told me that to fix my sunroof it will cost me $680. What the hell did i pay 2G's extra for that CPO if they can't cover something as dumb as a sunroof????? UGH I'm pissed, we'll see what Kline has to say after i go and pick up my tabs today.

should be covered.

did they tell you it wasn't covered under warranty?

Borton has a coupon for 15% off any "Service Maintenance or Repairs" through the end of the month... The coupon is online, i got it in my newsletter.... It excludes tires

Quote, originally posted by RAndrewR »
      saw it! car looks great! minus the wheels are off lol The service lady just called me and told me that to fix my sunroof it will cost me $680. What the hell did i pay 2G's extra for that CPO if they can't cover something as dumb as a sunroof????? UGH I'm pissed, we'll see what Kline has to say after i go and pick up my tabs today.

damn, looks like it won't be ready today. wish i would have gotten a s80 or s40 or c30 for a rental though, i'm just dying drivng around with this kia- I miss my R seats.

As for the sunroof, sounds like it should be covered to me. It's not wear and tear item. Also there were a couple threads i read a while back about sunroof coming off tracks and repairs users did so they didn't have to pay out the nose. ...I don't know what is wrong with yours though, so might not be an option. wish the volvo dealer experience was more consistant customer to customer and location to location...

Ive found that taking a rational approach works the best.

Modified by AbsolutZer0 at 12:04 AM 10-9-2008

Tell them to fix it or you'll fix them!!! Or just tell them to go sit on their thumbs and spin.

I know i want to but i was just kind of testing the waters today. The lady that helped me was super nice and as she was calling to tell me that everything was covered under warranty she stopped mid sentence and said that apparently the sun roof wasn't covered. I'm kinda pissed but i guess i can take it up with Kline since i bought the car from them less than a month ago! I also stopped by Kline Nissan to check out the black GTR they had in the showroom...... I think i'm in love haha but they want 95G's for it! not at this point in my life but maybe sometime down the road that would be fun! The service guy said that since the can't resurface the rotors, they are replaced and an average brake job runs about $8500..... I'm off to buy a powerball!

Re:

Hoagrod or absolut,,, which one of you was going to go in for new suspension bushings because of side hop?

I just got a call from Borton saying that volvo is having a quality control issue with bushings and that the wrong bushings are being put in the right packaging so if you are planning on having some ordered see if they can make sure they can get the right ones before tearing into things.

the correct ones are supposed to show up tomorrow or the day after.

//unless of course i'm being fed a line

Well I just recently found out what this side hop is on my way to duluth a few weekends ago. I'm debating on wether or not to go. Atacama, how did you know your bushings were bad? Or did you explain the TNN for side hop to them? I tried explaining it to the service at Kline and one person told me side hop is caused by low profile tires and that it's normal. So I don't know how to explain it to them where I could get bushings replaced.

$8500 for a brake job, that's just pure insanity. That's a 1/3 of the price of the car itself. No way this is true. Maybe $850 but that even seems a bit crazy. If your talking about a brake job for your R and it really costs that much. I'm selling my car tomorrow.

Re: (hoagrod)

Quote, originally posted by hoagrod »
      Well I just recently found out what this side hop is on my way to duluth a few weekends ago. I'm debating on wether or not to go. Atacama, how did you know your bushings were bad? Or did you explain the TNN for side hop to them? I tried explaining it to the service at Kline and one person told me side hop is caused by low profile tires and that it's normal. So I don't know how to explain it to them where I could get bushings replaced.

Well, I went in and said the back of my car shifts when going on uneven pavement on the highway. Said it seems the car shifts to one side and it unnerving if a bit unsafe. I said I have a tnn that mentions the issue if you think that would help. Response: "No that won't help, I don't know what those are "

I did mention I have new tires/and alignment and that while a bit better it still exists. I don't know if a tech took it out for a ride to test it or what but I believe they pulled up a tnn. Had a print out and stated they are going to replace my rear bushings that should help eliminate the problem and that it was covered under warranty. I did not have to push the issue at all. They told me they were going to do that as well as replace my bluetooth and a wiring harness that the bluetooth module hooks into because that had a short in it.

I was polite and not a jerk about it. Although, I felt like calling him out on the tnn, stating we both know what they are.

What i don't understand is all of these tnn's are all hush hush since you can buy a subscription for a fewdays for a $4 as someone else posted. I'm sure they want to avoid announcing it to everyone to keep costs down but you think it would make for a better experience/pr to acknowledge an issue. I might actually develop some loyalty towards going to a specific dealer.

was the 8500 for the brake job for the GTR?

Re: (atacamaRfan)

Quote, originally posted by atacamaRfan »

Where do you track btw? Do you fly through tires?

BIR. See my sig links. You fly through tires and brake pads. Rotors seem to hold up well. Figure probably 3-5 trackdays per set of tires and pads, depending on how hard you drive, how many laps you get in, weather (rain means you don't eat through tires at ALL haha), etc... I hope some of you other local Rs will join me up there next year I've done Road America in WI once too... that is always pricier...

Maybe I'm lucky, I rarely get any sidehop, especially around MN where roads aren't too bad. It's a lot worse in Illinois and Michigan. I hate driving through there. I'm tempted to complain about sidehop to Kline and just see what they say. I might also just go to Firestone and get a lifetime alignment thing and see if that helps.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

$8500 for a brake job, that's just pure insanity. That's a 1/3 of the price of the car itself. No way this is true. Maybe $850 but that even seems a bit crazy. If your talking about a brake job for your R and it really costs that much. I'm selling my car tomorrow.

I think he means the GTR.

if i could by a gtr for (8500 x 3) $25,500 I'd be at the dealer right now....

Re: (AbsolutZer0)

Quote, originally posted by AbsolutZer0 »
      was the 8500 for the brake job for the GTR?

Yes. Volvo OEM brake rotors/pads are actually very cheap, considering how good they are IMHO, probably $1500-2000 for a full set of both pads AND rotors. They hold up to trackdays quite well.

I still spend a bit extra for better track-oriented pads, but those are still only about $1100 for a full set.

Maybe I'm lucky, I rarely get any sidehop, especially around MN where roads aren't too bad. It's a lot worse in Illinois and Michigan. I hate driving through there. I'm tempted to complain about sidehop to Kline and just see what they say. I might also just go to Firestone and get a lifetime alignment thing and see if that helps.

I notice it more in comfort so if you bring it in, put it in comfort before stepping out of the car.

Even for a GTR $8500 is absolutely nuts. No way this would ever be possible. And why would they be talking about a brake job anyways if it's a brand new showroom car?

Yes. Volvo OEM brake rotors/pads are actually very cheap, considering how good they are IMHO. They hold up to trackdays quite well.

especially if you order from john at Boston Volvo, I ordered my parts from there, ran out of time to put them on (since i bought the car that way), so i had to eat 400 in labor at kline to replace rotors and pads. I plan to do it myself next time when I can plan for it. glad they were fine with me using my own parts though

Are the GTR rotors Gold with encrusted diamonds?

They are probably some sort of carbon-ceramic compound that you'd find as options on a 911 Turbo or Ferrari F430... expensive because they work very well with zero fade.

]

quick search reveals
      http://blog.webridestv.com/200...te-up/

if the aftermarkets run 13k, i have no doubt the originals would be 8500 with labor.

damn.

btw love the orange.

I'm going to get that tnn about side hop and explain it to kline.

Re: (atacamaRfan)

Quote, originally posted by atacamaRfan »
      ]

quick search reveals
      http://blog.webridestv.com/200...te-up/

Hmm... Interesting they suggest people buy their ME20 brake pad which compound has an ideal temperature range of 300 ~ 800C within which it exhibits a coefficient of friction between 0.35 ~ 0.40.

For comparison, the pads I run on my S60R on track and throughout the entire summer are Ferodo DS2500 which has an average friction level of about 0.50 which remains constant at any speed and at temperatures up to 1,000 °F, after which it falls off slowly.

I used to run Hawk HPS/HP+ pads which fall off at 750F and I found these to actually be WORSE than Volvo OEM pads! So apparently Volvo OEM pads are probably about as good as the ME20 aftermarket brake pad for the GTR

FWIW, the "cold bite" on my Ferodo DS2500s is just fine, great in fact, at least in temps above freezing. I switch to OEM pads when I put my winter tires on.

I'm curious now what sort of caliper/rotor temps I hit on the track. I might have to buy some of that temp-sensitive paint... I'm guessing I get pretty close to 1000F and the Volvo rotors/calipers handle that just fine.

Oh, I also run the TiSpeed shims behind my pads in the summer. Highly recommended, and cheap too.

warpedcow, you know way more about tracking than i do, i just hope to do it someday. i should start my brake/tire track fund now...

Yeah i was talking about the Nissan GTR! those brakes are sweet as hell! expensive of course, but when you figure that the average cost of a break job on an Enzo is roughly $27,000, I feel pretty good haha I haven't felt any side hop but then again i don't really know what to look for? anybody car to explain to me how this feels?

This is the best way I can explain side hop. I'm sure we've all done this but for example in the winter if you were driving on a road(highway) and you hit and icy patch on the road and you feel your back end slide out a bit and then suddenly you hit solid road(the tar where it's not icy) again and the car jerks back and straightens itself. That's how it feels. I noticed it when I hit some raised tar that they patched a crack with on the highway on a slight curve in the road. So going 70 mph on a slight curve in the road with a raised patch my car hit it and the back end jerked(hopped to the left )and then straightened out again, it was enough of a jerk to knock my car out of cruise control.

This is the best way I can explain side hop. I'm sure we've all done this but for example in the winter if you were driving on a road(highway) and you hit and icy patch on the road and you feel your back end slide out a bit and then suddenly you hit solid road(the tar where it's not icy) again and the car jerks back and straightens itself. That's how it feels. I noticed it when I hit some raised tar that they patched a crack with on the highway on a slight curve in the road. So going 70 mph on a slight curve in the road with a raised patch my car hit it and the back end jerked(hopped to the left )and then straightened out again, it was enough of a jerk to knock my car out of cruise control.

well put. If you have it you will definitely know it. you'll have that 'oh, so thats side hop' moment. I expect you won't notice it around town but at highway speeds. It's more pronounced in comfort mode so if you rock comfort down the highway you might notice. Once you get used to it it isn't so bad, just don't want it to be a safety issue on slippery roads or curves...

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast