SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Premium or High Performance Sound on XC90 - Differences? Upgrades?

108K views 88 replies 40 participants last post by  Joe and Chris 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 XC90. I have the High Performance Sound according to the screen during power-up.
What is the difference between the High Performance Sound and the Premium Sound?
Is there any difference in the head-unit?
Are different amps used, and are any class-d?
Are the speakers different between the systems?
Does the Premium Sound use Dynaudio (I have Dynaudio in my other car and love them)?
If so can the Dynaudio speakers be ordered and fitted for an upgrade?

Thanks for your help. I searched and spent about an hour, but didn't come to definitive answers to these questions.

#36 ·
The center speaker was plug & play, yes. No need to remove the passenger seat. I upgraded the doors from 50W -> 75W (25W is Performance, I had HP) and added the center. The door speakers are held by rivets. I drilled them out and popped new ones in.

As I have a 2003 and you have a 2013, I assume you will need other part numbers than I used, as Volvo has changed the audio system through the years. Check with your dealer what would be the correct parts. The Premium Sound system was delivered from Dynaudio from 2007, and now features a 5x130W amp (old Premium Sound was 4x70 + 1x25 for center).

3rd row seats have nothing to do with the subwoofer. If you on the other hand have separate rear AC, you can't fit a sub. I've got 7 seats and sub in my car (OEM sub, installed it myself). But...I think the subwoofer option was discontinued sometime after Dynaudio was introduced, not sure which year..

#37 ·
Checked with dealer. Unfortunately they say that there is no current upgrade kit from High Performance sound to Premium sound for my XC90 other than changing the single CD player to a 6-disk changer. Perhaps has something to do with HD Radio function, but I suspect not. Seems odd seeing there is a 12 speaker, 650 watt Premium sound option from factory, but no parts. I still want to add the center dash speaker and update the software to add Dolby so I can utilize it. Can I do this with the current HP 4x40 watt amp installed? Would be nice to add the 5x135w digital amp and associated Dynaudio door speaker kit, but I can't find a part number. If anyone else figures this out with their late model XC90, please post or PM. Would be nice to know what speakers are actually installed now with the High Performance (8-speaker, 4x40 watt) setup.

From Features and Options page on Volvo's website for the XC90:

High Performance Sound System
A powerful and versatile 4x40 W audio system. Each of the 8 loudspeakers is equipped with a powerful magnet and a large coil. Coupled to the High Performance amplifier, this system provides superb transient reproduction, high power durability and low distortion for a superb listening experience.

Volvo Premium Sound System
The Premium Sound system is in a class of its own. The digital class D amplifier generates 5x130 watts of music. Dolby® Pro Logic® II surround sound recreates a sound that’s equally authentic at each seating position. There are 12 high-end loudspeakers specially developed for the Volvo XC90 and a true concert hall experience.

Dolby, Pro Logic, and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.

#40 · (Edited)
Checked with dealer. Unfortunately they say that there is no current upgrade kit from High Performance sound to Premium sound for my XC90 other than changing the single CD player to a 6-disk changer.
Hi! Sorry to hijack a VERY informative thread. I have had the great experience of a broken 6 disc shuttle (part: 30679465-1) on my XC90 2004 2.5T wich is going to cost a fortune to replace/repair.
Does someone have a single disc player they want to get rid of? I am truly tired of this shuttle nonsense.

Thanx again!

#64 ·
I have a 2007 XC90 with High Performance audio. 3rd row seat. No rear A/C.

Can I upgrade to the Premium amp (P/N: 30732825) and also add the factory subwoofer (with subwoofer update P/N: 6849980)... I understand that since i have a 2007 I wont be able to download the premium software. Hoping I can just add premium amp and factory subwoofer and that alone will be a big improvement.

#43 ·
Our 2012 R-Design's premium system sounds quite good, almost as if there is a small sub somewhere even though we have 3rd row & Rear A/C. I haven't research the specs on the 2012 setup but assume its the same as 2013+

I need to sort out how to replace the amp under the passenger seat, since its getting cut out doing the aftermarket double-din configuration.

#44 ·
Well, I tried this upgrade today. I got a Dynaudio Class D amp from a 2008 model. I installed it, and it actually worked (played sound, obviously more power and improved sound quality.) However, when my local dealer tried to install the AUD reload, and the premium sound app, VIDA said they weren't allowed on my car. Anybody have any thoughts?

#45 ·
My guess is that because your car was made before the 110W Dynaudio Class-D amps were made that VIDA won't let you have that software loaded in it. But! I might have the opposite issue where I have a 2008 XC90 and purchased the 75Watt Premium amp that came before the Dynaudio one. I'm afraid that I'll have the same issue that VIDA won't let me put the older software on my car.

Maybe we should swap amps? :D What is the part number on the Dynaudio amp?

#47 ·
I have an 04. To upgrade, I must get the older style right? Anyone know the part number. The listings I find dont distinguish between the old and new style.

The audio system in the car now (high performance) has 8 speakers? In the swap I know i need the center speaker (with navigation). How do I get to twelve? Do the new door speakers each have one more speaker per speaker pod? That would make 13 :what:

#49 ·
There are two additional midrange speakers in the front doors.

I have the proper amp, along with all of the upgraded speakers, including the center speaker if you'd be interested in buying them. I'll even help you install them if you like. I ended up putting the older style premium speakers and amp in my 2007. Although, for some reason, my car won't take the Premium AUD software, the difference in sound is UNREAL. The premium sound speakers for 03-06 are incredibly high quality. They have woven kevlar cones with rubber surrounds and HUGE magnets. The front woofers even have large capacitors on them to prevent amp clipping. This is top notch stuff -- better than most aftermarket "upgraded" speakers. In my opinion, and I worked in the audio industry for years (Bose), the quality of the speakers used in the earlier system greatly exceeds that of the Dynaudio speakers. On top of that, I have the full blown Dynaudio system in my S80, and my XC90 with the early Premium sound speakers blows it out of the water. I'd even recommend the older speakers to those with newer XC90s with Dynaudio speakers as an upgrade. I once read an article from around 2004 saying that Volvo had been working for 4 years to develop the audio system for the XC90. I think the switch to the Dynaudio system in 2007 was a downgrade, even given its vastly higher power rating. Power means very little. It's more about the efficiency of the system.

Science, with your 2004, you should have no issues getting the AUD Premium software downloaded, unless the problem isn't my car, but actually our local Volvo dealership. They're great guys, but it has been something I've been rolling around in the back of my head as a distinct possibility.

#51 ·
Is there any way to get a signal from teh AMP to add my own AMP and Subwoofer in the trunk? Does anyone know how that would be done?

#53 ·
I can certainly tap into that, the nice thing is the battery is in the rear so wiring the amp will be stupid simple. Just need to figure out what parts to buy to do this. I also like that you can adjust hte center amp volume which would change the ouput to the Subwoofer.

#57 ·
just read through quickly, if I want to add a standalone sub to my High Performance single CD system, simplest option is to tap into speaker level signal at 4ch amp under passenger seat?

#58 ·
I'm also considering ordering the OEM sub.

Appears there are two part numbers though?

#59 ·
Is yours 5 or 7 passenger? Supposedly, the sub won't fit in the 7-passenger models due to the rear A/C system.

#60 ·
5 seater. I've checked what I believe to be all the 'prerequisites'.

Just unsure of difference(s) between part numbers 30679176 and 30758468.

#66 ·
As mentioned previously, do we know the difference between these? My friends experience suggests only #6 is needed, but #5 specifically references Premium Audio in product name....

5. Amp software upgrade - 6849972 "AUD Premium Sound Appl"

6. Aud reload software - 8691143 "AUD Reload"

#68 ·
CDN XC90 - please report back after the software upload. When I tried this the dealer stated that the software would for the premium system would not upload. The specific comment was "A message appears in VIDA that the aud reload and the premium sound application are non-matching part numbers." I had replaced both the amp and IEM (i.e. the display) with premium versions from donor cars. The addition of software for the donor subwoofer worked - love that bass! If there is a special trick to get the car to accept the software I would like to know it.

#70 ·
So AUD Reload wasn't compatible initially. Needed to add the Prem Audio first and then AUD Reload again.

Cost me an hour shop labor, at C$139, ended up C$287 with parts cost after taxes. More than expected but it's done and working well.

#72 ·
Very worth it.

The Premium audio front door speakers with their Kevlar weave cones and the higher power premium audio amp made the most significant difference. It can drive a lot harder and cleaner. The center speaker and the 3 channel Dolby surround sound support provide the extra 10-15% in sound quality. If you don't need the latter, you can just do amp and front door speakers, no software reload.

Paired with my sub, I'm totally satisfied. [emoji41]

#73 ·
Very helpful thread here. I have the High Performance in my 2006 XC90. I just stumbled across the Premium system on a 2004 XC90 at the junkyard. I grabbed the amp, center dash speaker, front L&R speakers and rear L&R speakers (about $50). I was only able to grab one of the top tweeters from the front left (front right was gone). I also skipped the two speakers in the very rear (by the third row/trunk).

I may have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention replacing those two in the very rear. For those that have done this swap, did you also do those or skip them? Not sure if they will make much of a difference way back there. Nonetheless, I am debating going back to the junkyard and grabbing them. Additionally, do you think keeping my High Performance tweeter on the right side will make much of a difference?

Any tips for re-installing? Not sure if I should use rivets, screws or what.

Currently planning on just installing the Premium amp + Premium speakers and skipping the software download for now. I'll have to see how much $$ the dealer wants. Would love the center channel + Dolby processing but not if they are gonna charge $300 for clicking a computer mouse a few times.

#74 ·
Very helpful thread here. I have the High Performance in my 2006 XC90. I just stumbled across the Premium system on a 2004 XC90 at the junkyard. I grabbed the amp, center dash speaker, front L&R speakers and rear L&R speakers (about $50). I was only able to grab one of the top tweeters from the front left (front right was gone). I also skipped the two speakers in the very rear (by the third row/trunk).

I may have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention replacing those two in the very rear. For those that have done this swap, did you also do those or skip them? Not sure if they will make much of a difference way back there. Nonetheless, I am debating going back to the junkyard and grabbing them. Additionally, do you think keeping my High Performance tweeter on the right side will make much of a difference?

Any tips for re-installing? Not sure if I should use rivets, screws or what.

Currently planning on just installing the Premium amp + Premium speakers and skipping the software download for now. I'll have to see how much $$ the dealer wants. Would love the center channel + Dolby processing but not if they are gonna charge $300 for clicking a computer mouse a few times.
I thought the 2009 and up, had the premium system. Guess I was wrong. Are they dynaudio speakers? I look for the ones that have the logo on the center speaker at the junkyard. Haven't had any success yet.

#76 ·
I got a chance to test/install the Premium speakers/amp I got from the Junkyard. It seems the woofer part of the two fronts don't work. The little attached tweeters work, but the larger woofers either produce nothing (left 30657756) or barely any audio (right 30657757). Anyone have any experience fixing speakers? Wondering if maybe a soldered wire is loose or something.

Additionally, the junkyard Premium amp (8673851) is no longer working. It worked fine for a while but then after running a few errands with the car, the speakers produced no sound from any source (on any speaker). Swapped back in my original High Performance amp and everything worked again. Based off of my research (and this thread) I thought a High Performance to Premium amp swap would not require a software update and the fact that it did work for a while seems to somewhat confirm that. I took apart the premium amp and found no signs of water damage, looks pristine inside. Perhaps a capacitor is bad?

Looks like my junkyard find wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be :facepalm:. At least the two rear door woofers work and sound great :cool:.

Premium amp board (8673851).

#77 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 XC90. I have the High Performance Sound according to the screen during power-up.
What is the difference between the High Performance Sound and the Premium Sound?
Is there any difference in the head-unit?
Are different amps used, and are any class-d?
Are the microphone for iphone different between the systems?
Does the Premium Sound use Dynaudio (I have Dynaudio in my other car and love them)?
If so can the Dynaudio speakers be ordered and fitted for an upgrade?

Thanks for your help. I searched and spent about an hour, but didn't come to definitive answers to these questions.
Are you thinking of investing in a microphone to take your recorded videos, music, or podcasts to the next level?

#78 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have a 2004 XC90 with High Performance Sound, 8 speakers and the 6 CD Changer. I believe it has the Center Speaker (I think I see it underneath the center speaker grill when the light is shining in a particular direction), but that is not producing sound. When playing the CD the sound produced, sounds pretty decent. The radio does not produce the same level of quality sound as the CD.
the button 2, 5, 8 and 0 have stopped working. Also, the system does not show the Balance and Fader adjusting screens when pressing the "Sound" button at the top of the right keypad. I do not know if this is another failure of the ICM or perhaps just not available on the High Performance Sound system.

I may send the ICM to XeMODeX for repair, but instead I'm considering partially upgrading to the Premium Sound system by installing the Premium Head/ICM and Amplifier, but not mess with changing / supplementing the speakers.

I like the idea of installing a Premium Sound head unit (Matrix ICM/screen/L&R control pads) and Premium Amplifier to; gain the Digital Signal Processing/Dolby Prologic II Surround sound processing and higher wattage as well as activating the center speaker, but am trying to learn the following before deciding:

Could anyone familiar describe whether this upgrade is possible and provide any insight on the following:
1.) does the Premium head unit have the same "MOST" and "CAN" connections as the High Performance Sound head unit?
2.) Can my existing OEM 6 CD Changer be reused/reconnected with the Premium Sound head unit?
3.) Can the Premium Sound Amp drive:
a.) the existing 8 speakers (but not speakers 9, 10, 11 & 12 normally connected to a Premium Amp) - would the amp be ok if speakers (9/10/11/12) are not installed?
b.) the center speaker
c.) the headphone audio devices on the left & right C pillars?
4.) Is my current Center speaker pre-wired (already connected to a wire in the center dash) with the wire running to the amp under the passenger front seat, but maybe just not connected there?
5.) would a dealer software be needed to ICM?
Anything else that I have not thought of would be appreciated...

Many thanks all

#79 ·
My answers are based on my experience with my 2006 XC90 that came from factory with High Performance and 6CD changer

1. there is no difference in head unit, HP and Premium use the same hardware.
2. yes, but you need the Premium Sound amplifier. I have upgraded the amp (+ front door speakers and center channel) to premium, still using original head unit that was originally programmed with HP
a. yes
b. yes
c. I don't know, presumably yes (I don't have these in my car)
4. I was pre-wired, just needed to add center channel
5. yes, I needed software reload to reprogram the head unit. I now have center channel and premium audio configuration options, Dolby Surround, 3CH operation etc.

#80 ·
My answers are based on my experience with my 2006 XC90 that came from factory with High Performance and 6CD changer

1. there is no difference in head unit, HP and Premium use the same hardware.
2. yes, but you need the Premium Sound amplifier. I have upgraded the amp (+ front door speakers and center channel) to premium, still using original head unit that was originally programmed with HP
a. yes
b. yes
c. I don't know, presumably yes (I don't have these in my car)
4. I was pre-wired, just needed to add center channel
5. yes, I needed software reload to reprogram the head unit. I now have center channel and premium audio configuration options, Dolby Surround, 3CH operation etc.
Many thanks for sharing your experiences here...
I have learned that the HP Head and the Premium Head are different part numbers and they are known as 'Numeric' and 'Matrix' units respectively.
I am interested to understand how the HP Head unit works with the Premium Sound Amp. I though the menus needed to choose 3 channel sound or Dolby Prologic DSP settings etc. would need to come from a Premium Sound ICM/head unit. Is this untrue? Could you describe how and where these setting are made (with an HP /Head/ICM and Premium Amp)?
Thanks again,
DT

#83 ·
I will suggest you if you dont have 7 seats and rear air condition unit to find original subwoofer and go to dealer stealer service to upload software for it even if i think they dont have any more this download software available its incredible difference in sound. I have High Performance Sound by default but while i ordered a new car I add sub and it worth all money...

If you dont have Aux up to 2007 than you can simply for 5 $ add my solution. Aux for xc90 you can find it here in forum just 2 audio stereo wires and 1 jack to solder on radio main board ( its not in dash but in rear roof top modules pack.

#84 ·
Hello everyone,
I own a XC90 MY 2013, with Xenium specs. I bought it second hand, making sure it has the Premium Sound fitted. But I have been very disapointed by the sound experience. I like to get the feeling of being 'surrounded by music". And to get such ambiance, i am obliged to set-up with the Fader almost at max. if not, the sound is coming mainly (by far) from the front. With such strange Fader set-up, I loose a lot of the power, meaning I would expect big blow when I push the volume, which is not the case.
I find it strange, being in a 13 speakers sound system.
Anybody with such experience?
Do you have any tip to play with front/back balance other than Fader?
Thank you in advance for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.